Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Official UNITED policy for meal preferences is to prioritize in the following order: (as of late 2023)
  1. Pre-orders
  2. Global Services members
  3. 1K members
  4. All other revenue passengers from front to back (no difference between $$$ or mileage or upgraders)
  5. Non-Revs

The proper way is to take orders front-to-back, and apply priority in the galley afterwards. Some FAs may still hop around the cabin seeking GS and 1Ks and take their orders first.
With the sharp increase in passengers pre-ordering meals, front-to-back ordering is now predominant.

Previous thread: Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Is there a particular order that Polaris preferences are taken? Down the left aisle, up the right aisle? Specifically a 777 IAHEZE.
It's supposed to be by status but as you can tell from the thread, it's the wild wild west. We, wife, kids and me, flew IAH-FRA and we all received our first choice. We have no status and we were only asked for our primary and not a primary and a backup. Trying to plan where you're going to sit based on meal preference is a crap shoot. Best shot is to sit near the front of the cabin.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Is there a particular order that Polaris preferences are taken? Down the left aisle, up the right aisle? Specifically a 777 IAHEZE.
1. GS
2, 1K
3. All other revenue customers (Paid or miles)

The FA are to take orders from front to back and prioritize in the Gallery.
Bur FAs tend to vary the approach.
Some will hop around & do GS / 1Ks first
Old Jun 21, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM
Yesterday, flying IAH - SFO, I had pre-ordered a breakfast and it was not loaded - further, the flight attendant did not acknowledge my GS status and I got the second choice - next time I will remind them.
limey1K likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SuiteFlyer
Yesterday, flying IAH - SFO, I had pre-ordered a breakfast and it was not loaded - further, the flight attendant did not acknowledge my GS status and I got the second choice - next time I will remind them.
Same here yesterday in MSY. I was in 4A when she got to me she said she only had the Thai noodles left. I declined and she asked me if I wanted a box instead
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by limey1K
Same here yesterday in MSY. I was in 4A when she got to me she said she only had the Thai noodles left. I declined and she asked me if I wanted a box instead
did you remind her about 'meal priority'?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by wpcoe
From this recent batch of posts, it sounds like the F/As are not using an app on their UA-issued iPhone to take orders? If they were, there would be absolutely no reason to hop around the cabin, and even if they started taking orders before boarding was complete, the late-boarding GS/1Ks would get their due priority.
Yes, on those rare occasions the app was working properly. More likely, all the orders would vanish off the app and he/she would have to retake them using paper and pen. Or the app would just state that there were no more "entree choice" available and it wouldn't automatically populate the orders by status as it is supposed to. I think my app has worked properly maybe once ever from initial beta testing to a couple days ago.
nnn and artvandalay like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cfischer
did you remind her about 'meal priority'?
I did not. She had asked 4B what he wanted and he took the last meatball meal (my preference) so I would have essentially looked like i was taking his lunch. I just wasn't up for the aggro.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Recently flew Polaris BCN-EWR, showed up late to the airport, was one of the last onboard so I can't recall on how preboarding went. Once onboard, only difference from non 1Ks was that during the meal service, FA asked everyone but 1Ks and GSs for their back up meal of choice, while only asking us for our first. On my second leg, EWR-MIA, FAs confirmed/took 1Ks orders first.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by itripreport
Recently flew Polaris BCN-EWR, showed up late to the airport, was one of the last onboard so I can't recall on how preboarding went. Once onboard, only difference from non 1Ks was that during the meal service, FA asked everyone but 1Ks and GSs for their back up meal of choice, while only asking us for our first. On my second leg, EWR-MIA, FAs confirmed/took 1Ks orders first.
this is and has been normal procedure on UA…was this something you just noticed ?
Old Apr 5, 2023, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
this is and has been normal procedure on UA…was this something you just noticed ?
Most of my flights are the domestic variety, and based on my data points, 9 out 10 flights FA just take orders by row, no 1K prioritization. Inconsistent at best.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Most of my flights are the domestic variety, and based on my data points, 9 out 10 flights FA just take orders by row, no 1K prioritization. Inconsistent at best.
Ive never seen a flight without meal prioritization. Just because you go row by row doesn’t mean they aren’t prioritized
Old Apr 5, 2023, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Ive never seen a flight without meal prioritization. Just because you go row by row doesn’t mean they aren’t prioritized
So when I am sitting in the last row in F, everyone else in front rows are 1K or higher? Come on now! Just because you haven't seen it, does not mean it does not happen. It happens a lot, actually, call it crappy EWR crew or whatever, but UA is notorious for its inconsistency.

I have had many occasions where they only had the last choice. Prioritization logic
bocastephen, limey1K and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 11:09 pm

Programs: *
There is a dedicated thread on this subject. Taking orders from front to back is the standard procedure and meal prioritization is then done at the galley. Taking orders by row doesn't mean prioritization is not taking place. Of course some FAs prefer to first take orders from GS first and then 1K but that can look awkward so front to back is the standard approach as stated by UA Insider.

I have had many occasions where they only had the last choice.
The question is whether those nine out of ten flights you have not got your meal choice (even if stated as the last choice). If it is indeed happening at such frequency that 1Ks have not received their choice, then that seems unreported or unnoticed by others. There are certainly failures of prioritization reported in the dedicated thread, but not to this degree. Where you have not got your choice did you remind them of your status? What response did you get?

Last edited by ani90; Apr 5, 2023 at 11:21 pm
Old Apr 5, 2023, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by ani90
There is a dedicated thread on this subject. Taking orders from front to back is the standard procedure and meal prioritization is then done at the galley. Taking orders by row doesn't mean prioritization is not taking place. Of course some FAs prefer to first take orders from GS first and then 1K but that can look awkward so front to back is the standard approach as stated by UA Insider.
I have had FAs take orders row by row, and in some cases, ask for a second choice, and when they come to me, do not ask for a second choice. (In fact, one time, one was about to ask me for a second choice, and then looked at her list and said "oh, wait never mind, thank you for being a 1K member")
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by itripreport
Recently flew Polaris BCN-EWR, showed up late to the airport, was one of the last onboard so I can't recall on how preboarding went. Once onboard, only difference from non 1Ks was that during the meal service, FA asked everyone but 1Ks and GSs for their back up meal of choice, while only asking us for our first.
You're lucky they waited until you boarded. They sometimes ask for meal choice during boarding, especially on widebodies. In fact, my last SFO-HNL on the 77W they were down to only one option by the time I boarded, and when the FA got to me all he had left was the egg pastry and sausage dish. I actually kind of like that meal, so I wasn't really disappointed. I did ask what the other choice was, and he said French Toast. I kind of shook my head in disbelief that was such a popular choice, and the FA kind of knowingly responded: "Yeah, you'd be surprised".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.