Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
I will be applying for another refund.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
730 ms ping time? Yipes!

If it's a satellite, that means it's about 65,000 miles up. Yowza!
Round-trip time means plane->sat->ground->sat->plane. So four o/w trips to or from space. The orbit is ~22k miles up.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Paid 20.99 for SFO-ICN wifi -- absolutely unusable. I would say the speed is half decent if you are on a mobile phone... but forget about business purposes.

Requested a refund online (doubt I'll get it but oh well).. not going to try that again.
Oddly enough, NRT-ORD wifi charge would have been $12.99 but I was already scarred by the first experience.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Wifi on pmUA 777-200ERs

My father is a pilot on the pmCO 777-200s and the two flights he has had that had wifi equipped aircraft, both times it was on the MEL list (is that the proper term?) and was nonfunctional. He said that technically the company shouldn't be advertising the planes as wifi equipped.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience with the wifi on these planes?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phkc070408
... I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience with the wifi on these planes?
There are three different wifi systems on UA
- the older GoGo on PS flights
- the Panasonic sat system with allows worldwide coverage
- the DirecTV based system limited to CONUS

The latter two are relative new and have had startup issues. Recent reports suggest things are starting to improve but still fare from 100% (donot actual parentage but closer to 50% would be my guess). Addition as the streaming entertainment comes on line there appears to be capacity issue -- but those are labeled as beta.

The sCO 772 is likely a Panasonic system.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
I received several emails from UA that my HNL-SFO flight and the ORD-HNL were WIFI equipped and had the beta wireless entertainment system. United WIFI and Wireless entertainment systems are horrible on the B772-Hawaiian configuration. WIFI connection said unavailable. Wireless entertainment system kept freezing. The audio would freeze and the video would be running and vice-versa. Too many users and not enough bandwidth were causing the erratic problems. Flight attendants were unable to resolve the problems.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:49 am

I just flew IAD-MEX-IAD on a 320, both legs. Wireless entertainment system worked fine both ways. Wi-Fi was virtually unusable going to MEX, coming back it was fine. My guess is that going down, the plane was full, and connectivity suffered - it took forever just to read e-mails. Coming back, the plane was 2/3 full, and web browsing was quick.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The sCO 772 is likely a Panasonic system.
It is the Panasonic system.

Originally Posted by UAOAHU
Too many users and not enough bandwidth were causing the erratic problems.
And you know this how??
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: GS UA+3MM
Originally Posted by phkc070408
My father is a pilot on the pmCO 777-200s and the two flights he has had that had wifi equipped aircraft, both times it was on the MEL list (is that the proper term?) and was nonfunctional. He said that technically the company shouldn't be advertising the planes as wifi equipped.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience with the wifi on these planes?
What's worse is when you buy access - it works for a while - then quits. You pay and get part of it. What a hassle.

Thanks United.

s
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
And you know this how??
We don't, of course. But when one flight that is full has crappy Wi-Fi performance and another flight that isn't full and on the same kind of aircraft has excellent Wi-Fi performance, it does make one wonder.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Another flight on the 737 with the LiveTV system, another debacle. In and out of coverage a dozen times within 100 mi of the coast. No way to pause your time while you're out of coverage, so the clock starts ticking while you're off doing something else if you stumble back in coverage.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by halls120
We don't, of course. But when one flight that is full has crappy Wi-Fi performance and another flight that isn't full and on the same kind of aircraft has excellent Wi-Fi performance, it does make one wonder.
You're assuming that stuff works consistently. If we've learned anything since CO IT took over in 3/2012, it's that nothing is consistent.

I had a flight with 100+ open seats, and couldn't get a session on the video system. The next flight was nearly full, and I could connect (though the video was choppy and buffering from time to time).

Does it make any logical sense anywhere else in the world? No. Does it make sense if I tell you this was CO technology? Now it does.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by channa

Does it make any logical sense anywhere else in the world? No. Does it make sense if I tell you this was CO technology? Now it does.
Good point. I've never had a problem with Gogo on AA.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:11 pm

Good point. I've never had a problem with Gogo on AA.
That's impressive, and pretty lucky. Or maybe it is that I've talked with the folks who run the Gogo customer service team so I know that they have issues all the time. The bigger difference IMO is probably how they handle them through real-time support more than anything else.

We don't, of course.
Correct. :-:
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I had a good experience with wifi NRT-SFO on a 744. Fast enough to allow web searches, online chat, web based email and terminal-based remote services. Was even able to download large files at ~1MB/sec.

Definitely not for multimedia or bandwidth intensive collaboration tools, but quite usable. Much better than being unplugged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.