Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
I'm the same rate now for an interline award itinerary.

$1,380.00 for 60,000 RDM ($0.023/mi.)
$4,800.00 for 60,000 PQM ($0.08/mi.)
If that $4,800 PQM purchase counted towards PQD, how would you feel about your offer? Halfway to 1K for about $5K... Gulp...

In any possible outcome, I cannot imagine RDM spend counting towards PQD.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
If that $4,800 PQM purchase counted towards PQD, how would you feel about your offer? Halfway to 1K for about $5K... Gulp...
In general I'd rather get it flying ... $0.10 per PQM all-in is my target for business/first class fares these days anyway (and one that is achievable with some flexibility). If offers remain this reasonable, though, I may be tempted to top-off Platinum given my Presidential Plus PQD waiver. I'm going all-in on AA this year, but the fee waivers for award tickets for Platinum may make it worth it to purchase a few miles.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:41 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nikongirl
If I'd had this option at the end of last year, I would have jumped on it, instead of spending 3 days on MRs from Thanksgiving to Christmas to make 1K
I realize the following advice is anathema to many hereon, but you may want to beat Jeff Baby at his own game and "jump" on some PQMs now, lest you post the same lamentation next year. Consider the purchase of "cheap" PQMs early in a year to be like an insurance policy. Sure, you may not need the insurancebut then again you may.

RNE, rhetorically asking if I'm "wasting" money on car insurance when I don't get into a wreck?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:07 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by Nikongirl
If I'd had this option at the end of last year, I would have jumped on it, instead of spending 3 days on MRs from Thanksgiving to Christmas to make 1K
You can only get to platinum level with bought PQMs, not 1k.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Not true. Purchased PQM can get you to any level, including 1K and additional GPUs.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
incorrect.
You can use purchased PQMs for 1K. FlexPQMs are limited to Plat or lower.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:45 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Now, two of my domestic paid itineraries are offering me 3,000, 5,000, 12,000 or 15,000 PQMs for 10 each.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Offered 75k miles at 2.8/8 cpm. Took both. For me $6k for two years of Platinum status makes sense. I'm exempt on both the 4 segment rule and PQD.

With the diminished MP program and all the service cuts, I've stopped buying paid tickets and am just burning through a couple of million miles. Platinum gets me exemption from all the award booking fees. The only extra benefits from 1k is the higher mileage accrual rate and the GPUs, but since I'm not buying any paid fares, neither does me any good.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 5khours
Platinum gets me exemption from all the award booking fees. The only extra benefits from 1k is the higher mileage accrual rate and the GPUs, but since I'm not buying any paid fares, neither does me any good.
So you expect to be subject to more than $6,000 in award fees over the next two years?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So you expect to be subject to more than $6,000 in award fees over the next two years?
Yeah. (I fly a lot). Had a 161 cancellations/redeposits in 2013 alone. Probably an equal number of changes plus several hundred close in bookings. I'd probably run up about $20~$30k a year in fees without status.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:08 pm

Offered 75k miles at 2.8/8 cpm. Took both. For me $6k for two years of Platinum status makes sense. I'm exempt on both the 4 segment rule and PQD.

With the diminished MP program and all the service cuts, I've stopped buying paid tickets and am just burning through a couple of million miles. Platinum gets me exemption from all the award booking fees. The only extra benefits from 1k is the higher mileage accrual rate and the GPUs, but since I'm not buying any paid fares, neither does me any good.
The beauty of jumping on this offer in early January!

2 years of status for the 'price of one'.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So you wouldn't see any PQDs even if they give you PQDs for those PQMs?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:19 pm

Yeah. (I fly a lot). Had a 161 cancellations/redeposits in 2013 alone.
OK, I can see how the status how such value for you, but I have to wonder how many of those were actually necessary and not just "oh well, it's free anyway"? Just curious where the cause and effect is here.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:26 pm

Assuming UA had PQM/RDM accelerator rates optimized to maximize profit (a big assumption considering how incompetent they are at everything else), then since they have effectively reduced the redemption value of those miles, they will also need to reduce the price of those miles in order to stay optimized.

(This is incontrovertible from an economic point of view).

I would not be surprised however to see dynamic pricing on redemption rates.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
OK, I can see how the status how such value for you, but I have to wonder how many of those were actually necessary and not just "oh well, it's free anyway"? Just curious where the cause and effect is here.
Depends on how you define necessary. Demand always depends on price right?

If UA made the price high enough, they could cause me to book everything 6 months in advance and cut my travel by 75%.

For me though, having complete flexibility for last minute bookings, changes, cancellations and even no-shows is definitely worth $3k a year.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 4, 2014 at 8:33 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Assuming UA had PQM/RDM accelerator rates optimized to maximize profit (a big assumption considering how incompetent they are at everything else), then since they have effectively reduced the redemption value of those miles, they will also need to reduce the price of those miles in order to stay optimized.

(This is incontrovertible from an economic point of view).
But since a significant part of the user population has seen no change in value, the issue becomes how much of the user population has seen a change in value of this method. None of us has access to those numbers, so it is going to be hard to make any predictions. It may smaller than the chatter on FT might suggest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.