Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I had that IAH LAX on Tuesday this week, the presentation was much better out of IAH. Wasn't 1/2 bad actually.
I had this SJU-ORD Monday and it was really gross. Meat didn't resemble beef and tomatoes were greenish. Didn't finish it. Me thinks SJU is catered at hubs thus the limpness of meat and lettuce.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
10/10 UA404 PHL-IAH Dinner
Chicken with rice (strange looking rice)

Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie

10/12 UA267 SFO-PHL Dinner
Chicken with roasted vegetables

Sundae

I'm getting really tired of the same meal. Ironically, I was just reading the article in the magazine where Jeff says that they have revamped the menu.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
It's been quite a few months since I have flown FC with a meal (been flying AA)
Flying SFO-HNL in a few days so my question is have the "new upgraded" meals starting showing up on these types of flights? Been way to spoiled flying AA to/from Hawaii since the spring
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
It's been quite a few months since I have flown FC with a meal (been flying AA)
Flying SFO-HNL in a few days so my question is have the "new upgraded" meals starting showing up on these types of flights? Been way to spoiled flying AA to/from Hawaii since the spring
To answer my own question it's NO. I flew the 764 dinner flight last night and it's the same chicken or pasta they have had for years and they actually now have taken the appetizer away...FA confirmed it went away a few months back.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
a snack?

Don't usually fly UA, but have an itinerary in F this week. The flight info for the segment EWR-PHX #1481 lists the meal as a 'snack'...

Is this for real? A snack? On a 5 1/2 hour flight leaving at 7:15pm?

Should I plan for a proper dinner at EWR?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Midcon dinner cutoff is 7 PM, so yes, it's a snack. The cutoff is a bit early, especially for westbound flights.

Edit: To answer your second question, yes, you should plan to pick something up at the airport. IME, the midcon snack is not to be trifled with. I have a 7:30 PM midcon tonight, and I plan to grab food at the airport.

Last edited by Boo_Radley; Oct 27, 2014 at 11:10 am
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Saturday November 1st
ORD-IAH - choice of cereal or croissant with egg, cheese and Canadian bacon
IAH-PTY - waiting for pilots, meal orders taken - French toast or hockey puck, will edit post after flight
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
To answer my own question it's NO. I flew the 764 dinner flight last night and it's the same chicken or pasta they have had for years and they actually now have taken the appetizer away...FA confirmed it went away a few months back.
The new meals are being introduced gradually; the hot entrees are slated to be changed sometime in 2015 (I think FEB), whereas they changed the lunch items recently. My theory, which is 50% true, is that they were able to make this "enhancement" quickly because they were able to basically take the old BOB options and repackage as F when they refreshed the BOB menu. Granted the irony was that the BOB was/is currently of higher quality than the F offerings.

Personally I would have rather seen a full launch rather than staggered; lunch is what it is and if I have to eat a cheeseburger over and over again as much as I am sick of it, for some reason it's not as bad as having to endure eating the same dinner options over and over. Maybe my thinking is this is the last meal of the day I would like to end it on a good note.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
10/24 UA1559 PHL-DEN - Breakfast
"Cheese Omelet" - Very odd color (and tasting) oranges. Didn't eat the hockey puck. Don't really like greek yogurt either. Now the guy next to me said he just wanted the fruit bowl (I guess he didnt like the options). Laster the FA offered him the Y ham sandwich. Another guy behind me got that as well.

10/28 UA235 SEA-DEN - Lunch
Choice of "Chicken Wrap" or "Salad". When the FA got to me, I was only offered Salad. First time I've not gotten my choice. I usually would have picked the Wrap, although the person next to me got it (last one) ate one bite and then didnt eat the rest. FA didn't do orders by status (I think). Went front to back. 2 at a time, getting order, then bringing them their food, then going to the next pair to get their order.
Anyways, salad was crappy lettuce. Soup was terrible

Cookie for Dessert

10/28 UA1070 DEN-PHL - Dinner
"Beef" - A little small but tasted OK. I really don't like the pretzel roll, I liked the old roll more.

Cookie for dessert

Would have preferred the sundae but I guess the flight isnt long enough

It's ironic that on my flight, I see this in the in-flight mag:

"Customers flying United First and United Business within North America have already begun enjoying completely redesigned menu concepts that include gourmet salads, sandwiches and wraps."

Last edited by eng3; Nov 1, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by eng3
10/10 UA404 PHL-IAH Dinner
Chicken with rice (strange looking rice)
Rice? LOL. the FAs must be feeling very pressed to be creative with their menu descriptions these days if gnocchi is being referred to as "rice".

Originally Posted by kabroui
Don't usually fly UA, but have an itinerary in F this week. The flight info for the segment EWR-PHX #1481 lists the meal as a 'snack'...

Is this for real? A snack? On a 5 1/2 hour flight leaving at 7:15pm?

Should I plan for a proper dinner at EWR?
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Midcon dinner cutoff is 7 PM, so yes, it's a snack. The cutoff is a bit early, especially for westbound flights.
catering EWR-PHX as a mid-con is simply insulting. i'd challenge the OP to try out JFK-PHX on DL next time for a breath of fresh air when it comes to the F experience.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
catering EWR-PHX as a mid-con is simply insulting. i'd challenge the OP to try out JFK-PHX on DL next time for a breath of fresh air when it comes to the F experience.
Really what is different on DL on the JFK-PHX route? When I flew this route it was catered as a typical mid-con too nothing really to write home about...
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Really what is different on DL on the JFK-PHX route? When I flew this route it was catered as a typical mid-con too nothing really to write home about...
because on the 7:50pm JFK-PHX departure on DL, you'd not get a "snack plate" @:-) they understand meal times a bit better than UA, who is already on their "late night" menu at 7:15. or maybe we should call it the "anytime outside of 5-7pm menu".
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
because on the 7:50pm JFK-PHX departure on DL, you'd not get a "snack plate" @:-) they understand meal times a bit better than UA, who is already on their "late night" menu at 7:15. or maybe we should call it the "anytime outside of 5-7pm menu".
When did UA fly JFK-PHX? I know that many AA die hearts dislike what Parker has done to their beloved AA, but the meals I have gotten on the US flight JFK-PHX were much better then what I got on the 7:50pm JFk-PHX flt on DL..
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
When did UA fly JFK-PHX? I know that many AA die hearts dislike what Parker has done to their beloved AA, but the meals I have gotten on the US flight JFK-PHX were much better then what I got on the 7:50pm JFk-PHX flt on DL..
The comparison here is to the 7:15pm UA EWR-PHX, which is a 5.5 hour snack flight. I have to agree with PV_Premier, it's ridiculous.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
The comparison here is to the 7:15pm UA EWR-PHX, which is a 5.5 hour snack flight. I have to agree with PV_Premier, it's ridiculous.
I'm not saying it is, and that flight use to have a meal, a full dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.