Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I used the lounge 3 or 4 times last year, because I was in P.S. First. It's strange that I'm actually paying more now for BusinessFirst than I was paying for First last year ($3900 vs. $3000), yet I'm getting fewer privileges.

Oh wait it's not that strange. It's United. "More Money. Less Service." (TM)
Some might contend that the current BF seat is better than either cabin on old-PS.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Some might contend that the current BF seat is better than either cabin on old-PS.
The seat's better (plus AVOD) but the F fares are absurd. I would fly AA or DL in paid F.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I've been taking the JFK-SFO p.s. roundtrip twice a month for the past few months. I've cleared RPU's the 3 times I've used them. I like the new config changes. Similar problems to the rest of United flights, if you're sitting in the 2nd half of the back, you're not getting any hot food. Strange for some of the evening flights to run out of hot items by row 25/26, but happens regularly. Two of the evening flights from JFK-SFO, flight attendants did one drink service and came by for trash once. Of course in the front, service is great.

The flight on 1/23 was delayed because the pilots were stuck in traffic from downtown to Manhattan to JFK. They announced it like it was a valid excuse, multiple times. Have they never had to be at JFK during rush hour with snow on the ground? We sat on the tarmac for 90 minutes because of it. Other people on the plane felt sympathy for the pilots, I didn't get it. I had to just come from Manhattan. We actually made up an hour in the air, and I would not have missed my connection, but of course there was no open gate at SFO and we sat on the tarmac. Got to spend a lovely night at the airport Quality Inn.

Not impressed with p.s. this year.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Greetings from flight 806. I am pleased to report that the finest $3.95 Malbec is being served up to business class customers.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/merchan...rom_page_F=WSL

End of report.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:57 pm

This only came about because DL offered meals on the 8pm flight . It's the only domestic flight on UA that served dinner after 8pm

For years it was just a snack cold plate
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That is correct - though "regular" flyers were only ever in there if they were in PS F or connecting to Int'l F at SFO/LAX/IAD.
The rules are EXACTLY as you point out but as anything else with UA, nothing is set in stone. I took my first PS flight w new configuration in J last week and had a TPAC flight THE FOLLOWING DAY, yet they let me use the GF lounge @ JFK.

The rules also state you must be on a connecting UNITED INTL flight yet sometimes they allow you in when connecting to a *A connecting flight. Now if thats not confusing enough - 2 1Ks that work for us in LA just took PS from LAX in J to a connecting EK flight in F (clearly not allowed entry to the GF lounge since EK is not even a MP partner, let alone *A) yet they were both allowed in the GF lounge (they told me when they showed their BP's they just mentioned "Intl connection" which is technically true - amazing the lounge attendants either didn't verify or didn't care (their PS flight was on an EK issued E-Ticket)
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
The rules also state you must be on a connecting UNITED INTL flight yet sometimes they allow you in when connecting to a *A connecting flight. Now if thats not confusing enough - 2 1Ks that work for us in LA just took PS from LAX in J to a connecting EK flight in F (clearly not allowed entry to the GF lounge since EK is not even a MP partner, let alone *A) yet they were both allowed in the GF lounge (they told me when they showed their BP's they just mentioned "Intl connection" which is technically true - amazing the lounge attendants either didn't verify or didn't care (their PS flight was on an EK issued E-Ticket)
I'm pretty sure that won't be happening at the SFO GFL
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by porciuscato
"The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United Business on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries. "
I just want to clarify this point. Regular passengers (non-GS) flying Business First on the p.s. flights will no longer be allowed in the Global First lounge?
Regular passengers (non-GS) flying Business First on the p.s. flights get complimentary access to the regular UC club at JFK (also LAX I know, and I would assume SFO also)

Originally Posted by snorkmaster
Greetings from flight 806. I am pleased to report that the finest $3.95 Malbec is being served up to business class customers.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/merchan...rom_page_F=WSL

End of report.
If my handle doesn't give it away, I'm also something of a wine guy. On the ground I drink wine... in the air, I enjoy the Tito's vodka they serve in PS front cabin ^
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
I'm currently sitting on the 2:07 sfo-jfk, no power in seats and the in flight entertainment is broken, the door is also broken so we have been waiting for mechnics to fix it, so not so good right now, at leastt they haven't cancelled yet, like my original flight sfo-ewr at 1J45

Update, the door is fixed, but they are having trouble getting the cover on, nice

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 9, 2014 at 4:02 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The rules are EXACTLY as you point out but as anything else with UA, nothing is set in stone. I took my first PS flight w new configuration in J last week and had a TPAC flight THE FOLLOWING DAY, yet they let me use the GF lounge @ JFK.
The JFK agents often go above and beyond the rules. Also, since I'm assuming you are arriving within 24 hours of the TPAC flight (in F, I'm presuming), you are still connecting.

That is strange - this coming the same lounge agent who downgraded us from p.s. F to C just to enforce the no 2-cabin jump rule.

Originally Posted by jasonp622
I'm currently sitting on the 2:07 sfo-jfk, no power in seats and the in flight entertainment is broken, the door is also broken so we have been waiting for mechnics to fix it, so not so good right now, at leastt they haven't cancelled yet, like my original flight sfo-ewr at 1J45

Update, the door is fixed, but they are having trouble getting the cover on, nice
+1 - partner is on the same flight. The worst part is that they had the plane in SFO for 24 hours, and they didn't bother doing anything with it to fix the issue.

Also, once again, the caterers boarded the ghetto, xerox paper menu in C.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Phil Level

If my handle doesn't give it away, I'm also something of a wine guy. On the ground I drink wine... in the air, I enjoy the Tito's vodka they serve in PS front cabin ^
Agreed. Thought the next time I fly p.s. in C, I'll try to sweet-talk the FA into pouring the Meiomi.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
More Celebs since the reconfig

It could really just be my luck, but since the reconfig, I've seen an actor or other celebrity on every JFK-LAX/LAX-JFK flight I've been on. I'm on the route about once a month for the last 18 months and I've definitely noticed a difference.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by AVIZ
It could really just be my luck, but since the reconfig, I've seen an actor or other celebrity on every JFK-LAX/LAX-JFK flight I've been on. I'm on the route about once a month for the last 18 months and I've definitely noticed a difference.
Did you fly ps F before or just C? F always had its fair share of the well known.

Unrelated, but AA has a ton more J award availability JFK --> LAX in the early summer than UA does.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
update, was on sfo-jfk 2:07pm yesterday and have been offered choice of 9,000 miles, $200 credit or 10% at united/appreciates.com

Last edited by jasonp622; Feb 10, 2014 at 4:27 pm
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jasonp622
update, anyone who was on sfo-jfk 2:07pm yesterday has their choice of 9,000 miles, $200 credit or 10% at united/appreciates.com
offer have histrionically had a status factor, the higher the status the better the offer Some it would be usually if everyone got the same offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.