Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
It could have been much, much worse

I've intentionally "cooled off" overnight to think about this

I see the mileage redemption rates as

1) adjusting for "inflation" - ie putting rates up because they can
2) fixing some of the "too good to be true" rates (SFO > Europe > NRT = 70k)
3) *A partners wanting to be "paid more"

How could it have been worse?

Because of the US miles policy, LH F can no longer be redeemed

UA are the last MAJOR carrier within *A that does NOT charge YQ

Finally, for those taking issue with UA differentiating between UA metal & *A partners

USA > EUROPE (new rates)

UA GF - 80,000 miles

LH F - 110,000 miles

37.5% difference is a "bargain" when you compare the two products & is a no brainier when you include a 3/4 hour stopover at the FRA FCT

Like many here, I'd rather the rates had stayed the same, but for me it's c'est la vie
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:03 am

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by Wickersley
I've intentionally "cooled off" overnight to think about this

I see the mileage redemption rates as

1) adjusting for "inflation" - ie putting rates up because they can
2) fixing some of the "too good to be true" rates (SFO > Europe > NRT = 70k)
3) *A partners wanting to be "paid more"

How could it have been worse?

Because of the US miles policy, LH F can no longer be redeemed
Hard to disagree with any of this...after reflecting a bit I am still upset but I think options to fly in F on * partners will probably go away in a few years...enjoy it now while we can.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: United, SQ
Originally Posted by Marsy
Catch is NZ releases very few tickets... It's going to be really hard to get those routes
But from SIN, they're a piece of cake on SQ! Always Y availability, plus a lot of J as well on the A330's/772 to SYD/MEL/AKL/CHC, etc..

I have SIN-CHC next year in biz, can't wait to change the dates on Feb 1 and get back 30k miles...
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Are there any *A partners that give "at least" 100% credit for ALL UA flights regardless of fare basis?? Does LH or SQ give 100pct credit for UA flights poked in S or T class on domestic flights or V,W on international. If YES, thats where my business should go
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
I got the following confusing non-response from an e-mail to 1KVoice:

Hi folks,
I have sort of a complicated question related to the upcoming devaluation of United award tickets.

Right now, I can book a one-way first-class award from IAD to BKK on Star Alliance partners for 70,000 miles in each direction. Suppose I book a round trip for travel in June 2014 on flights IAD-FRA-BKK // BKK-FRA-IAD, with segments in United first class, Thai first class, Thai first class, and Lufthansa business class respectively.

If, after I have flown the outbound segments, I see that Lufthansa has made first-class award inventory available on my LH J segment, can I call UA reservations and ask to switch from J to F on that flight (since I have already paid for a first-class trip and it was unavailable on this one segment)? In particular — will this call trigger a re-price (will I be asked for another 60k miles)? Or will a change which is made after travel has begun be priced using the fares that were in effect at the time of ticketing?

Hope the question makes sense; please let me know if it's unclear.

I'd appreciate hearing this information from a reservations expert who understands the plan. This will help us plan our travel & spending for 2014.
The response (to their credit, within about 6 hours!)

We’re always glad to hear from Premier 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.

Since your question is related to future award travel, please contact United Reservations at 1-800-756-1000. From outside the U.S., visit www.united.com/worldwidecontacts for a list of country-specific contact numbers.

We would be happy to help with questions regarding the MileagePlus® program or your MileagePlus account. Simply reply to this email if there’s anything we can do to assist you with these types of issues. Unfortunately, we can’t assist you with other travel-related questions.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

(person's name)
MileagePlus
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
How about adding UAInsider replies to the wiki to facilitate reading on this thread?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:25 am

Now that they've rolled out a lot of bad news I'm hoping they give us some good news over the next couple of weeks. Although I'm not sure what that would be. Maybe the return of premium SQ redemptions in 2014? Or LX First?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
How about adding UAInsider replies to the wiki to facilitate reading on this thread?
I'd be all for that as long as it's not as offensive and dismissive as the UA Facebook team's replies. This airline has truly become a shell of its former self.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
Now that they've rolled out a lot of bad news I'm hoping they give us some good news over the next couple of weeks.
You're dreaming.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jfk747
I have never seen another program charge higher for alliance partners.
TK does it. Though they charge much lower rates for awards on their own metal, compared to *A partners. For instance EU-US in Business Class cost 70K return on TK metal, and 105K on *A partners.

The downside of course is that awards are hard to find on TK, and the fact that their fuel surcharges are exuberant.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Thoughts and Observations

1) I'm sure glad I spent miles taking my wife to HKT (first class) and my family to CDG (business) over this past year. ^ Unfortunately, my wife and I still have 450,000 miles in our accounts.

2) I would think this change greatly devalues the incentive to purchase miles via the miles accelerator, unless they are going to double the miles you get for the dollar, or halve the price.

3) Given the changes this year, I have been flying UA much less then prior years and am no where near regaining 1K status. I was toying with the idea about buying some PQMs, but now I will not.

4) I will likely not be booking any more tickets on UA for the rest of this year.

5) I would by fuming had I purchased miles during the recent promotion, and would be filling a complaint with the DOT as well as protesting the change with the credit card company. It is nothing but fraud to do that sort of promotion and then cut the value of the miles in half.

6) If UA is going to match DL's moves, then they should increase the earning rate for Gold.

At the end of the day, I really don't get UA's mentality of picking the worst of just about everything (goal for on time rating, IRROPs, food etc..). Are they not looking at their own financials and seeing that these policies are anti-business traveler and have been a dismal failure? Do they really not understand that this last change just drove a bunch of HFVs to other airlines? How do they expect to attract with these policies? How can they be this stupid?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
People, stop writing your complaints here. Contact united. Let them know.
Or walk. That is the most effective protest.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
I just added three Q&As to the wiki -- anyone can modify the wiki, so feel free to contribute.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
People, stop writing your complaints here. Contact united. Let them know.
Or the DOT, or your credit card company (or a contingency attorney if you purchased miles in the recent promotion)
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Really, there are 3 reasons that I have stayed with UA for 32 years through thick and thin:

1. I have a sense of loyalty - even if the company does not. I know and like many employees. I grew up near MDW - which was headquarters before ORD.

2. Mileage Plus has been good to me. I achieved Million Mile status. The perks kept me loyal.

3. Mileage Plus Awards and upgrades helped make my flights enjoyable and allowed me to visit parts of the world in F or C that I would never have been able to do.

It seems that since the merger, I (and those like me) have at target on my back. It seems that my revenue is not worth the cost, and management is determined to drive me away - especially now that I am at the end of my career and had ideas about how to spend my miles and buy advanced-purchase leisure travel.

a. "Loyalty" is only as valuable as "how much will you spend today". There is no concept of what my loyalty has meant in previous hard times nor what it could mean in the future.

b. I am now an "over entitled elite", who apparently learned how to take full advantage of all of the opportunities that the airline employed to attract and keep my loyalty and spending - even if I learned to ignore what other airlines were offering.

c. I have come to learn that devaluation is part of the game, but THIS is exceptionally extreme and comes at very short notice - which I know is their contractual right, but, still....

I have learned to accept that the airline in its wisdom sells miles to other corporations causing a flood of people buying perks equal to those I earned by flying. On the other hand, this is a two way street. I have learned that I can buy perks on other airlines too.

With its plan to make money today (which has so far not proved to be too successful) United has repeatedly pushed me to take my spending elsewhere.

They are succeeding. My next trip uses AA out bound (on mainline metal) and UA for the return (on an ERJ145).

Thanks, United!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.