Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I don't think this is an American thing. I think this is a CO thing. UA never did this. Only started happening after CO took control of UA.

Do any other US airlines do this?
Not saying they created it, but I have flown on AA flights where they called for Military before First Class/others. This was before the UA/CO merger. I had no experience with CO at that time.

I think it's a nice gesture and I have no issue w/it.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:45 pm

This belongs in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...th-2013-a.html

Not encouraging though.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by vandrei
Just stopped by gate C11 at IAD to board for my 5:58 pm to SAN. The whole gate area is a mess. Premiers, kettles, card holders...all in the Premier line. And the GAs are calling Zones 1 and 2...at the same time.

Congrats GS/1K. Now you get to fight with the Plats, the Golds, and us Silvers. And we all have to fight with the kettles.

I will post a picture or two when I get to SAN.
I'm pretty sure one of those kettles will be filing a complaint with the DOT...that all the elites were in their way...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
This belongs in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...th-2013-a.html

Not encouraging though.
On the bright side, I went to a bar two seconds away and got a cold one. When I returned, the line was empty.

On the plane now, ten minutes before takeoff, and the flight crew is friendly and amazing...so I'll forgive UA for this one.

Last edited by vandrei; Jan 11, 2013 at 3:51 pm Reason: missing quote tag
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Not saying they created it, but I have flown on AA flights where they called for Military before First Class/others. This was before the UA/CO merger. I had no experience with CO at that time.

I think it's a nice gesture and I have no issue w/it.
I believe it's a Texas thing, so CO (now UA) and AA both did it.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
I believe it's a Texas thing, so CO (now UA) and AA both did it.
I have a hard time understanding how most people are fine with military pre boarding but not families with infants (just them, not teenage nephews, etc.).
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by vnatraj
I have a hard time understanding how most people are fine with military pre boarding but not families with infants (just them, not teenage nephews, etc.).
Why would somebody be "not fine" with it? I don't understand why people care who boards where.
It's all about I get to go first mommy!! with people posters here

To all UA elites who feel (yes, FEEL, not THINK, since there's no THINKING involved) disillusioned by this change: Good riddance, and don't let the door hit you on the way out! UA will survive without you

If I had to defend Smisek's position that UA elites are overentitled, this thread would be Exhibit A

Ah "entitlement", such a nice word. Go wait in the dole line with all the other tossers. It's prioritized by status! You're entitled to it, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2013 at 5:35 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by naumank

Perhaps the problem is not those three legacy UA execs, but the CEO. Isn't Jeff Smisek calling the shots? Where is he from?
-
Of course you are correct.

In fact, just last month, Smisek got made Chairman of the Board of UA. How is that for independence?

Smisek is the one who gives the news conferences and tells the reporters about UA's change in focus away from customer loyalty (over entitled elites) originally said by CFO Rainey.
-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Jan 11, 2013 at 5:41 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:43 pm

Lost Revenue

As a former Northwest/Continental Platinum member, I made a choice on going with Continental/United with the Delta/Northwest merger. I am a cardholder and my flying status currently fluctuates between platinum, gold, and silver depending on the year and where my clients are regionally. 2012 I only made silver and realized no benefits applied that I didn't have with the card. I even lost access to preferred seating until check-in (Vs. pre-merger). Near the close of the year, I paid approx. $900 for extra points/status miles on a JFK to SFO trip to ensure Gold status for 2103 since I know it will be a busier travel year. I ended up taking a last minute trip that would've gotten me there. This action by United has now negated that AND any incentive to travel with them versus my other many NYC airport/airline options.

If this policy is not retracted, I will use alternative airlines versus sometimes paying extra for United, not renew my separately paid United Club membership, and certainly not pay to maintain or achieve a status. My card agreement apparently covers me plus the free bag.

As stated in earlier comments, a very poor business decision. Those clients that will fly enough to achieve gold/platinum can do it with any airline, and as I have done in the past, the competition is happy to match your status the first year. With overcrowding and every other issue airlines are doing to achieve profitability, losing us is going to hurt. I will hold a grudge...

What I won't do, which I expect is part of the overall strategy here, is start to pay extra to board early.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by qvzn
Why would somebody be "not fine" with it? I don't understand why people care who boards where.
It's all about I get to go first mommy!! with people posters here

To all UA elites who feel (yes, FEEL, not THINK, since there's no THINKING involved) disillusioned by this change: Good riddance, and don't let the door hit you on the way out! UA will survive without you

If I had to defend Smisek's position that UA elites are overentitled, this thread would be Exhibit A

Ah "entitlement", such a nice word. Go wait in the dole line with all the other tossers. It's prioritized by status! You're entitled to it, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
You clearly didn't read my post before going off on your rant. I was mentioning that a lot of people don't seem to have basic compassion for people in need. Where did I talk about entitlement? Anyway, since you brought it up, I think (yes, think) GS'es are entitled to a better boarding priority than 1K, who are entitled to a better boarding priority than Plats, and so on. They have earned it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2013 at 5:36 pm Reason: quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
My last express flight (pre 9th) this was nearly the case.. it went:
*Call preboards (Uniformed, GS, more times)
*1 -take a breath- 2,3 -take a breath- all other groups

(not a complaint.. got there on time.. For me boarding is such a minor issue, as both a silver and a gold I have always been able to stow my carry on... Inflight is so much more important)
Spot on...only break in between groups is to catch their breath
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
What I also now find interesting is the number of first time posters in this thread. It isn't just us over-entitled FT old timers.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by zoegksf
What I also now find interesting is the number of first time posters in this thread. It isn't just us over-entitled FT old timers.
Yes, the hyperbole and mass hysteria have been entertaining.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Exactly. This change is really bringing them out of the woodwork... That speaks louder than us usual suspects to the ire UA has brought upon themselves so brilliantly.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Exactly. This change is really bringing them out of the woodwork... That speaks louder than us usual suspects to the ire UA has brought upon themselves so brilliantly.
and when they SEE the boarding process in action, after a couple weeks of transition, this will quickly fade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.