Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2009-2012; Lifetime Miles 754,057

I have just received my 6 SWU vouchers on being 1K again in 2012. I wonder if they can still be used on Lufthansa upgrade (with printed vouchers from UA)?? Many thanks for your advice.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, geoywc

Have seen no specific announcement one way or the other -- but given the arrangement / JV between UA & LH appears unchanged, would be surprised if there is a change in the ability to use paper UA SWUs on LH .

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2011 at 12:43 am Reason: added welcome
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2009-2012; Lifetime Miles 754,057
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Have seen no specific announcement one way or the other -- but given the arrangement / JV between UA & LH appears unchanged, would be surprised if there is a change in the ability to use paper UA SWUs on LH .
Many thanks for your quick response. Apart from UA/CO/LH, can these SWU vouchers be used on any other Star Alliance airlines?? Cheers.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:45 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geoywc
...Apart from UA/CO/LH, can these SWU vouchers be used on any other Star Alliance airlines?? ...
No -- and the paper versions can only be used on LH, they need to be in electronic format for UA/CO
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:21 am

See this thread for more info.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Welcome to FT!, geoywc

Actually, this has been specifically addressed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17150564-post553.html

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi pterosaur, our Global Premier Upgrades (GPUs) will continue to be valid for use on Lufthansa. We’re still working out the details as to exactly how this gets implemented.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Welcome to FT!, geoywc

As malgudi notes, UA has confirmed that GPUs will be good on LH. That said, we have already seen ome change. UA's website now says Z is not eligible for upgrade on LH, althought there has yet to be a report of a paper SWU that disallows Z.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
As malgudi notes, UA has confirmed that GPUs will be good on LH. ...
missed that in the mess of comments UA Insider made

Originally Posted by mre5765
... That said, we have already seen ome change. UA's website now says Z is not eligible for upgrade on LH, althought there has yet to be a report of a paper SWU that disallows Z.
but as many have learned it is neither UA web or what is printed on the SWUs that matters, but the rules the LH agents go by.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Is there any way to get around the 2-week timetable for issuance of a paper GPU/SWU? Can you get one issued at a UA ticket counter?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Is there any way to get around the 2-week timetable for issuance of a paper GPU/SWU? Can you get one issued at a UA ticket counter?
In the past the 1K Desk had been able to overnight paper certs.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA1K / LH SEN / SPG Plat / MR Plat

Does anybody know if United will still issue systemwide upgrades for use on Lufthansa? Can't get through to the 1k desk....
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Welcome to FT as active poster!

I expect the paper certificates will continue, but no direct experience requesting them after 3/3.

To reach the 1k desk, have you tried the international AT&T toll-free numbers?

That should connect you directly, and with minimal or no wait time (based on pre 3/3 experience)... Maybe there is still preference in the queue given UA is paying the bill of the call.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I'm in the process of getting this done right now as I type. I got a sCO agent who did not know that SWUs could be printed and used on LH. She did not know how to do it and is searching for someone who can.

I tried to do this on Friday before the integration and they could not do it then. Fortunately, my flight isn't until the 16th so I can wait a few more days.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I tried on March 2nd to get a paper SWU for LH and was told that the functionality to print out paper SWUs was already out of service for the merger. Let me know if you have success.

They also told me that mileage plus was not picking up the phone

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I'm in the process of getting this done right now as I type. I got a sCO agent who did not know that SWUs could be printed and used on LH. She did not know how to do it and is searching for someone who can.

I tried to do this on Friday before the integration and they could not do it then. Fortunately, my flight isn't until the 16th so I can wait a few more days.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
The certificate printing was handled by MP customer care. In PMUA, SOP was to call 1k line and then ask to be transferred to MP customer care to print a paper SWU for use on LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.