Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
IMO, IST is one of the quickest & easiest cnx. anywhere. Beside passport control, there is a short queue for int'l cnx.
The length of the queue defiantly varies through the day. Try to pass through around midnight, and the line is not exactly short
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question @ midnight on Feb 16

Originally Posted by aulrik
The length of the queue defiantly varies through the day. Try to pass through around midnight, and the line is not exactly short
I did pass through there at midnight on Feb 16, and the lineup was 3 persons - as indicated.

aulrik, what date and time were you there??
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I did pass through there at midnight on Feb 16, and the lineup was 3 persons - as indicated.

aulrik, what date and time were you there??
Interesting. I'm usually passing through 4 times a month, 2 times around midnight and 2 times early morning. On the 14th of February there were at least a couple of hundred people in the line around 23:00, but I used the fast track so didn't really matter to me.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by aulrik
Honestly, while the queues around rush hour look insanely long, they're managed extremely well and efficient, and my "worst" in IST is _FAR_ from my worst at several other airports.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Honestly, while the queues around rush hour look insanely long, they're managed extremely well and efficient, and my "worst" in IST is _FAR_ from my worst at several other airports.
I absolutely agree on this. You can say a lot of bad things about IST, but their transit security is very efficient. Only thing missing is a fully dedicated line for fast-track, all the way through security.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:58 pm

Flying VCE-IST-ATL in J later this year but time to connect is 1hr 15min, is this going to be a problem?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by jcm55a
Flying VCE-IST-ATL in J later this year but time to connect is 1hr 15min, is this going to be a problem?
It should work. As long as you are on the same ticket, they'll re-accommodate you.

Might not be much time to explore the lounge but you might have time to pop in for a drink.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
It should work. As long as you are on the same ticket, they'll re-accommodate you.

Might not be much time to explore the lounge but you might have time to pop in for a drink.
I see, thanks. It's all on the same PNR, so hopefully that's what you meant.

Somewhat sad about the timing though, since I was really hoping to spend some time at the lounge... but this was the only flight that I could find to fit the schedule.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by jcm55a
It's all on the same PNR, so hopefully that's what you meant.
Yes that's what I meant indeed.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:28 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

In a few months I'm flying ATH-IST on TK in Y, then have a ~5 hour layover before flying IST-SIN on SQ in J. Flights are on separate PNRs. I've never been through IST before, so can I check my understanding of how this works is correct?

Possibility 1: TK agent at Athens is willing to interline my bags through to SIN. I should be able to get my SQ boarding pass from the transfer desk at IST without going through Turkish immigration, and can head straight to the lounge.

Possibility 2: TK agent at Athens refuses to interline my bags. I have to go through immigration, pay for a visa, collect bags, wait until SQ checkin opens, re-check, and go through passport control/security.

Am I on the money here? I'm trying to work out if I should apply for a Turkish visa in case Athens checkin lets me down.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by augmon
In a few months I'm flying ATH-IST on TK in Y, then have a ~5 hour layover before flying IST-SIN on SQ in J. Flights are on separate PNRs. I've never been through IST before, so can I check my understanding of how this works is correct?

Possibility 1: TK agent at Athens is willing to interline my bags through to SIN. I should be able to get my SQ boarding pass from the transfer desk at IST without going through Turkish immigration, and can head straight to the lounge.

Possibility 2: TK agent at Athens refuses to interline my bags. I have to go through immigration, pay for a visa, collect bags, wait until SQ checkin opens, re-check, and go through passport control/security.

Am I on the money here? I'm trying to work out if I should apply for a Turkish visa in case Athens checkin lets me down.
You are correct. Possibility 2 is more likely, but definitely doesn't hurt to ask. If you qualify for the evisa or visa on arrival, then you can just wait until after checkin to get the visa if necessary. The evisa usually gets processed within a few minutes. If you need a sticker visa, then apply now - chances are, you will need it.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:52 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
You are correct. Possibility 2 is more likely, but definitely doesn't hurt to ask. If you qualify for the evisa or visa on arrival, then you can just wait until after checkin to get the visa if necessary. The evisa usually gets processed within a few minutes. If you need a sticker visa, then apply now - chances are, you will need it.
Thanks! Much appreciated. I don't need a sticker visa so I'll wait and see. I've had luck interlining on separate tickets within Star Alliance before (albeit SQ>LH not TK>SQ), so fingers crossed...
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I think there is a fair chance that TK at outstations like ATH will accept to check bags through to final destination.

I'm not aware whether SQ has transfer desk at IST, so I would check-in online/print your BP and make sure to have the luggage added at the gate (you need to show them the luggage tag you received at ATH; otherwise bags will not be loaded at IST).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:45 pm

Traveling from TXL-IST-HAV and have a connection of 1:05. All booked under the same ticket. Is this doable with *A status?

Arrival time at IST is about 00:05. My friend travels MXP-IST-HAV also with an hour connection and we are a bit worried that in case of a delay one has to travel alone..

Last edited by nikolask; Mar 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by nikolask
Traveling from TXL-HAV-IST and have a connection of 1:05. All booked under the same ticket. Is this doable with *A status?

Arrival time at IST is about 00:05. My friend travels MXP-HAV-IST also with an hour connection and we are a bit worried that in case of a delay one has to travel alone..
Status doesn't matter at all.

German arrivals (for the moment, could change at any time given how the Sultan feels towards Germany) are considered "clean", ie you'll be dumped directly into the departure area.

Unless your flight arrives not with significant delay, you'll make it.

MXP (ie, Italy) imho isn't considered clean, so your friends connection might be MUCH tighter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.