Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by teahan
Has anyone experience any major changes to transiting IST since the airport terrorist attack and the coup?

EU arrivals still go straight to the departure lounge?
I have been transitting through IST 4 times after the attack, two times arriving from EU and two times from Asia. No change whatsoever in routines or procedures. Only difference is that it feels like there are slightly less passengers at the airport these days, but it might just have been a coincidence.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I am booking a transit Italy-->IST-->NCE, flight is crazy cheap, and I am Star Gold. There is a forced overnight, but I am booking paid Y. What have been peoples' experiences in the past few weeks of people flying Turkish (safety concerns) or overnighting at Turkish hotels. Any concerns?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I am booking a transit Italy-->IST-->NCE, flight is crazy cheap, and I am Star Gold. There is a forced overnight, but I am booking paid Y. What have been peoples' experiences in the past few weeks of people flying Turkish (safety concerns) or overnighting at Turkish hotels. Any concerns?
I haven't been through myself since May because of work but from the reports on this forum and from speaking friends based in Istanbul I wouldn't have any concerns myself.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
As Aulrik said previously, nothing has changed at all in the flights themselves or in the airport (except a very large number of Turkish flags now being displayed in building, buses and shops). So I would not be concerned about any safety issues.

Can't comment on hotels though.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:43 am

Hi Everyone,

I have booked BUD-IST-MIA on a same ticket with a 1 hour 35 minute layover in IST.
What do you think, can i make it?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:28 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by JCSJ
Hi Everyone,

I have booked BUD-IST-MIA on a same ticket with a 1 hour 35 minute layover in IST.
What do you think, can i make it?
Welcome to FT and the TK forum JCSJ ^

It is tight but should be manageable. If you miss the connection they will put you up in a hotel and rebook you.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Welcome to FT and the TK forum JCSJ ^

It is tight but should be manageable. If you miss the connection they will put you up in a hotel and rebook you.
Thank you for the warm greetings!

I'll try to check the baggage to MIA in BUD, and also acquire the Boarding Pass to the widebody jet.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:24 am

I'll try to check the baggage to MIA in BUD, and also acquire the Boarding Pass to the widebody jet.
They'll automatically do that for you. No worries. As long as the flight from BUD to IST isn't delayed much, you'll have enough time. And even if it's delayed, they'll rebook you onto the next possible connection. Just make sure not to lose time once you get to IST, as US-bound destinations do often require extra-scrutinity and might close the gate a bit earlier.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Nothing has changed... and i would say this makes the things even more scary. Not a good news that nothing has changed!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by frenchft
Nothing has changed... and i would say this makes the things even more scary. Not a good news that nothing has changed!

What do you suggest should have changed?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red

Go straight to the MIA gate and get ready for ultimate security theater.

There will be a visa check from our beloved Türk Hava Yolları. You would think that's enough but nope, Gözen must also make sure your visa is in order. Then you show your boarding pass and to this dude from Gözen who will either be nice and let you to the gate area or send you to secondary bag screening because you look suspicious or have SSSS on your bp. I was unlucky with SSSS so secondary it was for me. The whole process took about 20 minutes.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Go straight to the MIA gate and get ready for ultimate security theater.

There will be a visa check from our beloved Türk Hava Yolları. You would think that's enough but nope, Gözen must also make sure your visa is in order. Then you show your boarding pass and to this dude from Gözen who will either be nice and let you to the gate area or send you to secondary bag screening because you look suspicious or have SSSS on your bp. I was unlucky with SSSS so secondary it was for me. The whole process took about 20 minutes.
What you describe there is not specific to Istanbul, you will go through the same process if traveling to the US or the UK from lots of destinations outside Europe.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by boosh
What you describe there is not specific to Istanbul, you will go through the same process if traveling to the US or the UK from lots of destinations outside Europe.
Even in Europe, like AMS, where there is the D1 gate with a special check before you get the gate number for your Delta flight to the US.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by boosh
I sure have gone thru that at other airports as well but the IST version is the most theatrical one, plus most people weren't frequent flyers and didn't seem to know how lines work.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I sure have gone thru that at other airports as well but the IST version is the most theatrical one, plus most people weren't frequent flyers and didn't seem to know how lines work.
Dubai raises them a explosives-residue detection machine right before you get to the gate area ("after" security), for US flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.