Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
A scan of the front and back of the card?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
I agree that instructions are incredibly unclear. They've managed to make this overly complicated.

I applied last night and created a PDF file that had simply my name and Global Entry PASS ID on it. I also could not find a "Form No. 13" anywhere on the website.

Forgot to include my passport photo scan, so we'll see what happens with that .
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: QFF
It appears that I meet everything needed, but am not sure about the business thing. With AU citizens currently unable to get GE, I'd need to meet this work requirement.

Would my place of work being listed on the ASX meet the requirement?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Himeno
It appears that I meet everything needed, but am not sure about the business thing. With AU citizens currently unable to get GE, I'd need to meet this work requirement.

Should be. From the PDF I linked to above.

(v) A stock company issuing shares which is listed on an exchange such as a financial
instruments stock exchange of one of the countries, regions or special administrative
regions listed in d above.
(And Australia is listed in the referenced d)
(iii) The following materials (clear copies, with the originals to be submitted at the time of
the secondary inspection)
- To prove that you meet the requirements of the abovementioned 5 (1), e, (a)
 An employment certificate from your organization of affiliation
 Materials proving that your organization of affiliation meets one of the
items of the abovementioned 5(1), e, (a) (i) to (vi)
For example, a brochure containing details of the history, officers, organization, business contents (including main clients and business achievements), etc. of your organization of affiliation, a printout of the website of the financial instruments stock exchange where your company is listed or copies of pages introducing your company in published material, etc.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Himeno

The GE exemption is (inexplicably) only for US citizens, so GE eligibility wouldn't help you regardless.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I registered this evening - scheduled to arrive at NRT in 2 weeks. For GE, I included 2 PDFs (now the instructions state that it doesn't have to be an official format): my GE renewal approval letter (has my PASS ID) as well as a PDF with my full name and PASS ID number. I also filled out the disembarkation card info. We'll see what happens!

Last edited by immaculate; Nov 3, 2016 at 1:52 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Today I called the number and I got answers.

First of all I had to open all PDF files by Adobe Acrobat Reader.
When I clicked on "Information Guide" on the left menu, the PDF file was opened by "Preview" (macOS) in Safari browser automatically which doesn't show links.
When I downloaded the pdf file and opened it by Adobe Acrobat Reader, I was able to see the Declaration Form No.13 was hyperlinked and download it.

For NEXUS members you just need to scan front and back of your NEXUS card, save as PDF then attach it when you apply.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
From the official Information Guide:

If your registration is permitted as a result of the secondary inspection, you will be
registered as a user of the automated gates on the spot, and will be issued with a registered
user card. You will be required to submit a fee payment slip with a 2,200 yen revenue
stamp (shunyuu inshi) affixed to it as a fee for issuance of the registered user card. (The
revenue stamps are sold at such places as the post office and convenience stores. In
addition, the payment slips can be found at the designated registration counters.) Please
take note that that if you intend to undergo the procedures at the designated registration
counter located in the immigration examination areas of the airports, you will not be able
to first enter the immigration examination area and then go back to a store which sells the
revenue stamps in order to purchase a revenue stamp. Moreover, there are no stores within
the immigration examination area which sell the revenue stamps so make sure you
purchase a revenue stamp beforehand.
This is a bit confusing to me. Although the wording is somewhat contradictory, it appears that you can't complete registration and get your card without submitting a fee payment slip with a 2200 yen tax stamp affixed to it. And, the tax stamps are not available in the registration area or anywhere else in the immigration area (and I don't think anywhere in the arrivals area of the airport pre-immigration).

So, if you're overseas when you apply, and plan to complete registration at the airport upon your next arrival, you can't actually do so unless you somehow get a hold of a 2200 yen revenue stamp (such as by having someone in Japan purchase one for you and send it to you). I suppose you could complete the secondary inspection process upon arrival, and if approved, not actually get your card at that point, then go to the post office or combini landside to buy your tax stamp and then go to another office (landside in the airport, or in town?) to submit the tax stamp and get your card.

This seems very convoluted. Does anyone have more specific information about this part of the process? I understand that just taking cash or credit card payment by a gov't agency and requiring a tax stamp is a very Japanese way of doing things, but so would be having a vending machine in the sign-up office that sold such tax stamps, no?

Also, never having purchased a tax stamp before, is it as simple as getting one in a 2200 yen denomination, or is it a specific one for this particular purpose that happens to cost 2200 yen?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
From the official Information Guide:

This is a bit confusing to me. Although the wording is somewhat contradictory, it appears that you can't complete registration and get your card without submitting a fee payment slip with a 2200 yen tax stamp affixed to it. And, the tax stamps are not available in the registration area or anywhere else in the immigration area (and I don't think anywhere in the arrivals area of the airport pre-immigration).

So, if you're overseas when you apply, and plan to complete registration at the airport upon your next arrival, you can't actually do so unless you somehow get a hold of a 2200 yen revenue stamp (such as by having someone in Japan purchase one for you and send it to you). I suppose you could complete the secondary inspection process upon arrival, and if approved, not actually get your card at that point, then go to the post office or combini landside to buy your tax stamp and then go to another office (landside in the airport, or in town?) to submit the tax stamp and get your card.

This seems very convoluted. Does anyone have more specific information about this part of the process? I understand that just taking cash or credit card payment by a gov't agency and requiring a tax stamp is a very Japanese way of doing things, but so would be having a vending machine in the sign-up office that sold such tax stamps, no?

Also, never having purchased a tax stamp before, is it as simple as getting one in a 2200 yen denomination, or is it a specific one for this particular purpose that happens to cost 2200 yen?
You can buy the 2,200 yen revenue stamps at post office/convenient store at the airports after you know you pass the secondary inspection at one of the specified places.
If you already have the 2,200 yen revenue stamps in advance for some reason, you can get the secondary inspection inside the immigration area (I believe it's after security when you depart Japan). Otherwise you need to do the secondary inspection and automated gate registration at the departure lobby area since you need to go buy the 2,200 revenue stamps. I'm sure they will tell you the nearest post office/convenience store in the area inside the airport. I don't think you want to buy the revenue stamps in advance since you don't know if you pass the secondary inspection or not!

Yes, you can complete the process at the airport when you arrive at NRT/HND/NGO/KIX during their business hours.
You just need to enter Japan first then go to departure lobby area and then get the secondary inspection. If you pass it, you can register for automated gate and receive your membership card there.

There isn't one 2,200 revenue stamp as long as I know, so you need to buy total 2,200 yen (i.e. one 2,000 yen and one 200 yen stamps).

That's my understandings.

Last edited by MrJBoy; Nov 6, 2016 at 2:47 am
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
You can buy the 2,200 yen revenue stamps at post office/convenient store at the airports after you know you pass the secondary inspection at one of the specified places.
If you already have the 2,200 yen revenue stamps in advance for some reason, you can get the secondary inspection inside the immigration area ... I don't think you want to buy the revenue stamps in advance since you don't know if you pass the secondary inspection or not!
The reason for getting them in advance would be to avoid the regular immigration line on the next visit after passing the primary approval process online. I vaguely remember seeing a sign that said "registration" near the automated gates in the arrival hall. Presumably, if you've passed primary inspection, and go there to complete secondary inspection and have your revenue stamps, you could get your card and pass through the gates on that visit. I know it's not a terribly important thing in the long run, but on recent visits the line has been 30+ minutes each time, with the last time filling up the entirety the switchbacks and spilling out into the open area. It's not something to look forward to after arriving on a 12+ hour flight.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:25 pm

The reason for getting them in advance would be to avoid the regular immigration line on the next visit after passing the primary approval process online. I vaguely remember seeing a sign that said "registration" near the automated gates in the arrival hall. Presumably, if you've passed primary inspection, and go there to complete secondary inspection and have your revenue stamps, you could get your card and pass through the gates on that visit. I know it's not a terribly important thing in the long run, but on recent visits the line has been 30+ minutes each time, with the last time filling up the entirety the switchbacks and spilling out into the open area. It's not something to look forward to after arriving on a 12+ hour flight.
It says in Japanese you need to enter Japan first to get the secondary inspection.
Also, I check where the designated registration counters are located, and I don't see any counters in the arrival area at the airports. All registration counters at the airports are located in the departure area not arrival area such as departure examination area or international departure lobby.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
It says in Japanese you need to enter Japan first to get the secondary inspection.
Also, I check where the designated registration counters are located, and I don't see any counters in the arrival area at the airports. All registration counters at the airports are located in the departure area not arrival area such as departure examination area or international departure lobby.
Good to know. It makes the whole "revenue stamp in advance" issue moot. Either I mis-read the sign I saw a couple of weeks ago in the arrivals hall at NRT, or it applied only to Japanese nationals (but if that were the case, why have it in English as well?).
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Good to know. It makes the whole "revenue stamp in advance" issue moot. Either I mis-read the sign I saw a couple of weeks ago in the arrivals hall at NRT, or it applied only to Japanese nationals (but if that were the case, why have it in English as well?).
I believe the registration counters on entry can be used by Japanese or certain foreign residents seperate from the current TTP program, and don't have have registration fee.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
Any reports of how long it takes for the preliminary inspection? I just checked on my application, submitted 11 days ago, nothing yet. Was hoping to get it before I leave for Japan in 10 days.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mr_Tudball
Any reports of how long it takes for the preliminary inspection? I just checked on my application, submitted 11 days ago, nothing yet. Was hoping to get it before I leave for Japan in 10 days.
My partner applied on 11/5 and he will leave for Japan in 10 days, too.
He just checked his application status online, but nothing yet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.