Wiki Posts
Search

Fake Service Dogs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelStar
Spoke with my son more about it after the flight and he told me the FA told him that the female passenger (with the dog) had anxiety about flying and that was the reason she was entitled to be moved to a seat next to her male partner and the dog on their lap. Therefore, my son and friends had to be split up to accommodate them.
Well, maybe the son and his friends have anxiety about being separated.
I am not aware of AA having a policy for people to sit together simply because there is a service animal
And, this is something the GA should have been handled. Surely the couple knew they didn't have seats together before boarding.
There usually pairs of seats together together on short notice. They are "preferred seats" , so if you don't have elite status and don't want to chance not sitting together, the pay the fee.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:35 am

I fly a lot and rarely see service animals. Most of the time it is for the blind. I don't agree with what this couple did, but I don't see it as a big issue. Was the dog a problem on the flight?

There are many more egregious problems when traveling. I find flyers with oversized carry-ons, those that talk at the top of their lungs on cell phones who refused to put them away on take off, a more distracting situation.

Full Disclosure: I'm a dog lover!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by JacquelineB
I fly a lot and rarely see service animals. Most of the time it is for the blind. I don't agree with what this couple did, but I don't see it as a big issue. Was the dog a problem on the flight?

There are many more egregious problems when traveling. I find flyers with oversized carry-ons, those that talk at the top of their lungs on cell phones who refused to put them away on take off, a more distracting situation.

Full Disclosure: I'm a dog lover!
So am I, he said with a yellow lab over his feet, but this wasn't about the dog. It was about the pathetic owners who thought they deserved better treatment because their sanity was somehow dependent on being sat together with an obviously non service animal. No one is blaming the pooch - who was probably embarrassed at the whole affair.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:16 pm

Well, it wasn't a dog, but this incident might have a place on this thread:
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/1...pig-off-plane/

I know three people who readily admit to having gotten on-line certificates and uniforms for their pets simply because they don't want to pay for kennels when they travel. One has a badly behaved dog who will, 100%, irritate everyone on the plane on his first flight.
Another is a cat. As a dog lover, I wonder what kind of emotional support this cat provides (don't mean to start a dust up with that comment) but I am very allergic to cats and resent this. It is clear that the airlines are terrified to question any potential service animal, hence the flagrant advantage taking. This topic is picking up steam, but no
easy solution to cheating seems likely:
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health...em-f8C11366537
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:38 pm

I have doubts about many of the service animals/owners on recent flights.
Here is an interesting article about this, from BBC News:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31646970
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:52 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
Well, maybe the son and his friends have anxiety about being separated.
I am not aware of AA having a policy for people to sit together simply because there is a service animal
And, this is something the GA should have been handled. Surely the couple knew they didn't have seats together before boarding.
There usually pairs of seats together together on short notice. They are "preferred seats" , so if you don't have elite status and don't want to chance not sitting together, the pay the fee.
Some people are "claustrophobic" [they should be able to get a doctors note stating this], sitting in a window seat (with the shade OPEN) might lessen the problem. Assuming the couple (and dog) were seated in window-aisle (as would be the case in FC, or on some of AA's MD-80's) why should they "trump" the pax that needed to be in a window seat? [I'm assuming that the couple being paired, caused the poster to be bumped from a window seat.]
PS: If one had claustrophobia sitting in a middle seat might (also) be a problem.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: UA Gold, Starwood Gold
Fake Service Dogs

British Columbia is taking action against fake service dogs.

"B.C. service-animal owners to require licence as family pets increasingly passed off as guide dogs"

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/2015/03/23/b-c-service-animal-owners-to-require-licence-as-family-pets-increasingly-passed-off-as-guide-dogs
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:22 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The problem with fake vs. real service dogs is that once one gets "medical" certification (not hard to do), the fake sd is no longer fake.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every dog is a service dog, in fact, though that doesn't excuse fraud. Dogs get their meaning in life through service to their masters. Nonetheless, we've gotten into the business as a society of evaluating whether someone is sufficiently handicapped such that they should be permitted to take their dogs everywhere they go, or not, through the "service dog" designation.

Personally, I'd like to see dogs permitted more places rather than fewer, but that's because I really love my dog. I'd never fake this designation for my own dog, but I'm quite pleased to see dogs in public settings, including on planes. I understand not everyone agrees.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
20/20 last nite

anyone else see the piece on fake emotional support dogs??
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:33 am

Deleted

Last edited by brendog; Jun 21, 2015 at 8:17 pm
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:44 am

I suggest you read this very moving book about a soldier with PTSD and physical and head injuries. His dog is highly trained and makes it possible for him to continue his life.
http://smile.amazon.com/Until-Tuesda...=until+tuesday

Here is a youtube view about the author https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4dz5KSYbTs
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nlkm9
anyone else see the piece on fake emotional support dogs??
I caught part of it. It showed how easy it is to buy fake credentials and some strange animals in this role, including a hedgehog and a miniature horse in a bulk head row. IIRC DL accepted one fake emotional support animal and denied one. There was also a scene with another airline, but I didn't see all of that part.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
I have a friend who is mostly deaf and her service dog has saved her life several times. If she happened to be on a flight with her dog, you might question it because she is not blind nor is she a terrified flier. But if there was an emergency, she would be much better off with the dog. Just a thought for those who do not know someone deaf.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by gungadin
I have a friend who is mostly deaf and her service dog has saved her life several times. If she happened to be on a flight with her dog, you might question it because she is not blind nor is she a terrified flier. But if there was an emergency, she would be much better off with the dog. Just a thought for those who do not know someone deaf.
Your friend has a service dog, not an emotional support dog. Two very different things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.