Reload this Page >

Fake Service Dogs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fake Service Dogs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by slawecki
so, to clarify, is this couple black listed and to be shunned by all us who have never sinned because they brought a dog, or because they lied?
Both, IMHO.

Dogs are not allowed in American restaurants and numerous other establishments. What Europeans, Asians, Africans, or Aussies do is their own business, but in the US, both law and social custom prohibit animals in eating establishments and a number of other places.

This prohibition is due to multiple sanitary and safety concerns. A properly trained, legitimately accredited service animal is extensively conditioned to negate those concerns, which is why they are permitted in such establishments, by law.

An ESA, either real or fake, is NOT conditioned to negate those concerns. There is no established training or accreditation process for an ESA.

IMHO, letters and cards from your therapist that YOU need an animal's presence due to some mental condition applies only to YOUR need. It does not address the ANIMAL'S ability to not only address that need, but to behave properly in public settings - which a properly trained and accredited service animal CAN do, because they were trained to do so.

The couple that SB_Travlr mentioned has broken numerous social conventions and at least one law:
* Falsely presenting themselves as having a mental handicap (which insults and belittles those who suffer from mental illness of all forms)
* Carrying and presenting fraudulent service animal accreditation (which are either fake papers, of legitimate papers issued under fraudulent circumstances)
* Bringing an untrained, unaccredited, non-service animal into an eating establishment (which is against the law unless the animal is a legitimate service animal)

In short, a person who brings an animal into a restaurant using fake papers is breaking the law, and is both lying and playing on the sympathy of others in order to do it. They are falsely claiming to have a real mental illness or physical handicap, as part of a scheme to break the law prohibiting animals in restaurants.

Other than scale, how is that different from someone printing a fake h/c parking permit and taking a h/c parking space from someone who legitimately needs it? How is it different from someone who fakes a disability in order to collect disability benefits fraudulently?

I find people such as these to be despicable and would shun them myself. But none of my friends or family have such dysfunctional moral compasses as to ever consider such an act.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Difficile
How callous! There is such a thing as karma...

I don't know why this person would make up the story so I tend to believe it. I have a service dog due to severe allergies--I am asthmatic. If you saw me you might not think I need a service dog but if you see my service dog Tyst, you would immediately realize the dog is legitimate. She carries my emergency medication in her vest pocket including an EpiPen. In the event of an emergency she knows exactly what to do. She is professionally trained and her behavior is impeccable. A yapping dog or one that would not mind the must simple command could not possibly be a service dog. I don't need to give my dog verbal commands, a simple hand gesture will do the job.

The ADA states that if it is not obvious what job a service animal performs, only limited inquiries are allowed, that said, the airline or business may ask what work or task is the dog trained to perform. A "service dog" may be requested to be removed from the premises if the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or the dog is not housebroken.

The abuse is such that Internet companies are making big money selling service dog certification packages for $150.00 - 350.00. You'll be happy to know that for this fee you can get a service dog vest! One can buy a vest for a lot less or make it oneself.

You can register a service dog for free. To buy a patch, the paper certificate and an actual credit card size identification which outlines the rules for the handler and the business owner is only $50.00 through a legitimate source. By the way, the ADA does not demand you show any type of identification. That said, I quote "under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls."

I created a web page specifically on this subject. The web page is very informative. I also provide detailed information on how to obtain a travel immigration certificate for a pet passport to travel outside of the United States. Internet companies charge somewhere between $15.00 - 25.00 per form! Such expense is not necessary, in fact you can get these forms for free. I give an outline as to how to go through the process.
The website is http://AnimalTattleTales.com

[Promotion of commercial services deleted by Moderator per FlyerTalk Rules.]
The service dog is faked since they do not want to pay for the animal to be transported. Probably the same people that justify breaking a law in the name of children, like not stopping for signs or driving correctly as they are 'picking their kids up at school'. This is the same logic you can see on here now and then about perfectly healthy people wanting preboarding so they can ensure luggage space nothing wrong so who can challenge them? But I have seen it suggested in threads on here.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
A young woman sitting behind me yesterday on a flight had a smallish dog with her. The dog sat in her lap during the flight. She had apparently informed the airline it was an emotional support animal. A GA came aboard to verify this with her, and left seemingly satisfied with the answers.

One of the passengers sitting in her row was very unhappy about a dog in such close proximity, and peppered the young woman with some penetrating questions. The dog owner ended up admitting that her dog was really "just a pet," and she had used the ESA exemption to skirt pet transport requirements. She did not seem to think that this was any sort of issue.

The dog was well-behaved during the short 1-hour flight, and the unhappy passenger admitted as such at the end of the journey, but made it very clear to the dog owner that she was not at all pleased with the situation.

I don't think it bothered the dog owner in the slightest. She left the aircraft without comment, and walked her leashed dog through the terminal seemingly without a care in the world, while nearly everyone she passed turned their heads to stare.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:05 pm

Your dirty mutt is not a child, even if you give him a human name. These people are pathetic.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by BSBD
A young woman sitting behind me yesterday on a flight had a smallish dog with her. The dog sat in her lap during the flight. She had apparently informed the airline it was an emotional support animal. A GA came aboard to verify this with her, and left seemingly satisfied with the answers.

One of the passengers sitting in her row was very unhappy about a dog in such close proximity, and peppered the young woman with some penetrating questions. The dog owner ended up admitting that her dog was really "just a pet," and she had used the ESA exemption to skirt pet transport requirements. She did not seem to think that this was any sort of issue.

The dog was well-behaved during the short 1-hour flight, and the unhappy passenger admitted as such at the end of the journey, but made it very clear to the dog owner that she was not at all pleased with the situation.

I don't think it bothered the dog owner in the slightest. She left the aircraft without comment, and walked her leashed dog through the terminal seemingly without a care in the world, while nearly everyone she passed turned their heads to stare.
Either you or the other pax in her row should have reported her admission of falsehood to the FA so the FA could report it up the line and prevent this woman from lying to abuse the system in the future.

Originally Posted by SpewyMcSpew
Your dirty mutt is not a child, even if you give him a human name. These people are pathetic.
While I agree with your sentiment that a dog is not a child and should not be treated as such - it's actually bad for a dog to do so - I think your phrasing is crass, rude, and mean-spirited.

And not all mutts are dirty. Conscientious owners keep their pets clean and well groomed, which is better for the animal's health and for the safety and comfort of those around the animal. Only neglectful oaks allow their dogs to be "dirty mutts".
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki
in 55 years of flying,and thousands of flights, i have seen two dogs getting on the passenger part of a plane. one service dog, and Benjie.

i have seen a lot of dogs working in airports. how does one avoid the attack and the customs sniffer? do those require an exit row also?

what good does an exit row do for juliabrat's condition?
Thousands of flights, really?

Come to Phoenix during the winter time, you can throw a nut in any direction at Sky Harbor and hit about 20 "service animals". Hell, one of our good friends pulls this exact same stunt to keep from having to pay the fee.

I have to imagine that they do...the schools that legitimate service animals have to go through are quite extensive, so I'm sure it's well documented when a particular dog "graduates".
While this is true, most if not all airlines fail to differentiate between legit service dogs and the "emotional support dogs". The emotional support dog status is the loophole many are using to get their faux service animals on the airplane. A lot of them have convinced their doctor to write them a note and since the airlines are scared ........ of an ADA lawsuit and the ensuing negative publicity, they acquiesce.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by BSBD
... The dog owner ended up admitting that her dog was really "just a pet," and she had used the ESA exemption to skirt pet transport requirements. She did not seem to think that this was any sort of issue.

I don't think it bothered the dog owner in the slightest. ...
"it's all about me ... anything I want to do is ok, and I don't give a rat's posterior about the rules or about societal conventions, especially if it saves me money"

sadly this is FAR too common an attitude with FAR too many people
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:20 am

As an outsider from Europe, this "pet phenomenon" never ceases to amaze me whenever I travel to or via the US. Why and when did American airlines start allowing this non-sense in the first place?

I know for a fact that LH does not allow this, even on US-bound flights. One time at FRA I even witnessed an American passenger being offloaded at the gate because he wanted to bring his medium-sized dog with him to the C cabin.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mmff
Why and when did American airlines start allowing this non-sense in the first place?
It's not the airlines. It's abuse of the Air Carrier Access Act which amongst other protections requires airlines to accommodate service animals.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Thousands of flights, really?

RT flight every couple months, and a transfer every now and then, and we have well over 1000 flights. so, since i fly much more than that, i presume 2000 minimum. most road warriors do 4-500 flights a year.

most of my flights are to for business

Last edited by slawecki; Oct 26, 2014 at 1:55 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
While this is true, most if not all airlines fail to differentiate between legit service dogs and the "emotional support dogs". The emotional support dog status is the loophole many are using to get their faux service animals on the airplane. A lot of them have convinced their doctor to write them a note and since the airlines are scared ........ of an ADA lawsuit and the ensuing negative publicity, they acquiesce.
I've denied fake ESAs. They have kicked, screamed, and created a scene. Pet didn't fly without the owner being lighter in the wallet. The problem is that when they get the paperwork required by the airline, I can't deny them.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Here's a nice story:
My son and three Graduate Students are on Frontier Flight 824 (just departed 30 minutes ago). Flying from Denver to Kansas City.
The four of them were in paid "stretch" seating. Seats 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D. (all 4 seats in a row and the opposite aisle seat). After boarding and getting settled in their assigned seats, a couple with a teacup sized dog wearing a vest and official-looking emblem (must be official, right?) boarded the plane. The couple apparently booked their tickets late and were not able to sit together and were seated in 1a (Bulkhead window) and 1E (middle bulkhead across the aisle) and loudly informed the Flight Attendant that they should be seated together because they "have a service dog"
The Flight Attendant promptly demanded my son's group move out of 2B and 2C and take 1A and 1E. My son politely mentioned to the FA that the four of them were seated together and were told it's a rule as "they have a service dog. This effectively split up the entire group with none seated together.
Luckily my son is good-natured and texted me that it's not a long flight so it's not a big deal. I told him he's right and smile and make the best of it.
But more to the point, WHERE DOES THIS INSANITY END??
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by TravelStar
Here's a nice story:
My son and three Graduate Students are on Frontier Flight 824 (just departed 30 minutes ago). Flying from Denver to Kansas City.
The four of them were in paid "stretch" seating. Seats 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D. (all 4 seats in a row and the opposite aisle seat). After boarding and getting settled in their assigned seats, a couple with a teacup sized dog wearing a vest and official-looking emblem (must be official, right?) boarded the plane. The couple apparently booked their tickets late and were not able to sit together and were seated in 1a (Bulkhead window) and 1E (middle bulkhead across the aisle) and loudly informed the Flight Attendant that they should be seated together because they "have a service dog"
The Flight Attendant promptly demanded my son's group move out of 2B and 2C and take 1A and 1E. My son politely mentioned to the FA that the four of them were seated together and were told it's a rule as "they have a service dog. This effectively split up the entire group with none seated together.
Luckily my son is good-natured and texted me that it's not a long flight so it's not a big deal. I told him he's right and smile and make the best of it.
But more to the point, WHERE DOES THIS INSANITY END??
Kansas City with any luck.

Seriously though, you have to admire dog couple for their creativity in exploiting the rules to best advantage. That and hope Karma catches up with them
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by exilencfc
Kansas City with any luck.

Seriously though, you have to admire dog couple for their creativity in exploiting the rules to best advantage. That and hope Karma catches up with them
I think the trouble with that sort of attitude- and I can quite see why you said it - is that if people get away with it once they'll do it again, and again. I know we'd all have lower blood pressure if we took things in our stride, smiled and just said "life goes on, there are bigger issues" but I'd have insisted that a change of seat wasn't going to happen. Prove the authenticity of the service dog, name and number of the organisation, let them threaten to deplane me, unload luggage, bring it to the notice of the law enforcement officers. It's against the law to try that "dog trick" so how far would they push it?
I'm not normally angry but just hate it when others try it on to the detriment of fellow pax so they can be a bit more comfortable themselves. Selfish and more selfish. Some people need to be pulled up short before they think everyone they come into contact with is a pushover. (I also think this about most governments too but that's another blog).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by lloydah
I think the trouble with that sort of attitude- and I can quite see why you said it - is that if people get away with it once they'll do it again, and again.
Indeed.

Prove the authenticity of the service dog, name and number of the organisation, let them threaten to deplane me, unload luggage, bring it to the notice of the law enforcement officers. It's against the law to try that "dog trick" so how far would they push it?
It is not up to you to demand or check anyone's credentials, you can only bring it to the attention of the FA, who will almost surely ignore the issue and insist that you change seats. If you don't, you are disobeying the crew and they are within their rights to show you the way out.

It's against the law to try that "dog trick" so how far would they push it?
I think we've all seen enough to know that they will push it all the way. These people are shameless and they know that, given the idiotic US law, the best strategy for the airlines is to cave and act cowardly in these cases.

Some people need to be pulled up short before they think everyone they come into contact with is a pushover.
The pushover is the airline, not the passenger being kicked from his seat. Until the law in the US concerning animals on board becomes sane(r), airlines will be happy to be the pushover to avoid legal trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.