Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fake Service Dogs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
There is nothing that says someone with a service dog is required to have a companion right next to them. This was just someone taking advantage of the situation.

If it were me, I would write to Frontier and explain that their FA needs to be retrained in how to handle such a situation - because the FA was in the wrong.

No need to ask to provide for proof of the authenticity of the service dog. Just point out at that the law doesn't require such an accommodation of requiring the couple to be next to each other. The accommodation was that the monster got to bring her precious on the plane with her. Anything else is just the airline catering to the whim of someone who thinks they are more special than anyone else.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:41 am
Suspended

take out a phone and start recording. fa wont do .... if it will end up on youtube.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Emotional support dogs are BS. Just order a drink or pop a Xanax like the rest of us.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
This is somewhat related. At a local dog park I go each day, there is another person that readily admits he faked all the documentation for his 2 small dogs (a poodle and shiztu). He did it to get them access to the apartment where his girlfriend lives (he lives someplace else). He said that his gf's landlord can no longer question the dogs on the property.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by lloydah
I think the trouble with that sort of attitude- and I can quite see why you said it - is that if people get away with it once they'll do it again, and again. I know we'd all have lower blood pressure if we took things in our stride, smiled and just said "life goes on, there are bigger issues" but I'd have insisted that a change of seat wasn't going to happen. Prove the authenticity of the service dog, name and number of the organisation, let them threaten to deplane me, unload luggage, bring it to the notice of the law enforcement officers. It's against the law to try that "dog trick" so how far would they push it?
I'm not normally angry but just hate it when others try it on to the detriment of fellow pax so they can be a bit more comfortable themselves. Selfish and more selfish. Some people need to be pulled up short before they think everyone they come into contact with is a pushover. (I also think this about most governments too but that's another blog).
I think i'd have done the same - at least I'd have asked to see the FAA reg requiring them to be seated together. I'm not such a chilled out person as TravelStar's son.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Spoke with my son more about it after the flight and he told me the FA told him that the female passenger (with the dog) had anxiety about flying and that was the reason she was entitled to be moved to a seat next to her male partner and the dog on their lap. Therefore, my son and friends had to be split up to accommodate them.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TravelStar
Here's a nice story:
My son and three Graduate Students are on Frontier Flight 824 (just departed 30 minutes ago). Flying from Denver to Kansas City.
The four of them were in paid "stretch" seating. Seats 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D. (all 4 seats in a row and the opposite aisle seat). After boarding and getting settled in their assigned seats, a couple with a teacup sized dog wearing a vest and official-looking emblem (must be official, right?) boarded the plane. The couple apparently booked their tickets late and were not able to sit together and were seated in 1a (Bulkhead window) and 1E (middle bulkhead across the aisle) and loudly informed the Flight Attendant that they should be seated together because they "have a service dog"
The Flight Attendant promptly demanded my son's group move out of 2B and 2C and take 1A and 1E. My son politely mentioned to the FA that the four of them were seated together and were told it's a rule as "they have a service dog. This effectively split up the entire group with none seated together.
Luckily my son is good-natured and texted me that it's not a long flight so it's not a big deal. I told him he's right and smile and make the best of it.
But more to the point, WHERE DOES THIS INSANITY END??
"We paid extra for these particular seats. Please refund the payment the four of us made, in cash, right now, and we'll move."

Originally Posted by TravelStar
Spoke with my son more about it after the flight and he told me the FA told him that the female passenger (with the dog) had anxiety about flying and that was the reason she was entitled to be moved to a seat next to her male partner and the dog on their lap. Therefore, my son and friends had to be split up to accommodate them.
No, they didn't. I'm sure there are two seats together in the last row whose occupants would be willing to move forward.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by sethb

No, they didn't. I'm sure there are two seats together in the last row whose occupants would be willing to move forward.
This would have been a far more suitable arrangement. Put the obvious faker in the back row next to the lavs.

I feel for the flyer here though, as standing your ground in a crowded airplane is tough. The majority of other passengers do not have the same fervour for flying and simply want you to "shut up and listen". Many people can't handle that kind of social pressure.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi
I feel for the flyer here though, as standing your ground in a crowded airplane is tough. The majority of other passengers do not have the same fervour for flying and simply want you to "shut up and listen". Many people can't handle that kind of social pressure.
It is not about "the majority of other passengers" but the fact that you have to comply with the orders from the crew or risk being offloaded. As soon as the FA decides to play the game of the shameless passenger with the dog, your chances of sorting it out your way are pretty slim.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
It's really amazing the effect that asking for something in writing has, when someone is trying to do the easy thing instead of the right one.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by mmff
It is not about "the majority of other passengers" but the fact that you have to comply with the orders from the crew or risk being offloaded. As soon as the FA decides to play the game of the shameless passenger with the dog, your chances of sorting it out your way are pretty slim.
Maybe, but I bet they're higher if the plane is ready to leave when your whole party then says "Fine, please inform the captain of the situation, unload all our luggage and before we leave also give me in writing the exact FAA or Airline rule which demonstrates the principle upon which you are taking the action of insisting that passengers with a service animal must sit together.

No, I've never had to be in this situation but I almost wish I had now.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Couple months ago was on SEA-IAD and 3 military walk on the plane with 3 big, mean looking attack dogs and sat in the bulkhead row with the dogs at their feet. They were muzzled but still they were scary as heck.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I had the misfortune to sit next to a person who had a very large German Shepherd with a spiffy service jacket a few years back. The dog took most of the floor space in the entire row of 3, it was well behaved but seriously, this dog was huge. To cap it all the dog kept dropping 'air biscuits' the whole 2 hour trip. Where does this insanity end? Don't I have any rights to the space at my feet and not be subjected to a dogs rear-end gas output?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timfountain
I had the misfortune to sit next to a person who had a very large German Shepherd with a spiffy service jacket a few years back. The dog took most of the floor space in the entire row of 3, it was well behaved but seriously, this dog was huge. To cap it all the dog kept dropping 'air biscuits' the whole 2 hour trip. Where does this insanity end? Don't I have any rights to the space at my feet and not be subjected to a dogs rear-end gas output?
Yes, No. You (should) have the right to the space at your feet. What if you had luggage to go there?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by timfountain
AA's policy on losing your floor space seems clear.
It is the first thing I would bring up with the FA if I saw this.

"If a service animal is disruptive or too large to fit under the seat or at the passenger's feet without encroaching on another passenger's space or protruding into the aisle, it will need to travel in a kennel (provided by the passenger) in the cargo hold."
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...iceAnimals.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.