Reload this Page >

Fake Service Dogs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fake Service Dogs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by nlkm9
anyone else see the piece on fake emotional support dogs??
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:34 am

I wonder if this guy could get a note from his doctor saying that he needs emotional support...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVMBdi4dgME

Also: 'Emotional support' pig thrown off plane

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Apr 5, 2015 at 1:43 am
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
I wonder if this guy could get a note from his doctor saying that he needs emotional support...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVMBdi4dgME

Also: 'Emotional support' pig thrown off plane

Nice tat on her back to go with the pig

LOL what an idiot
Old Apr 5, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Smile

Originally Posted by mmff
Your friend has a service dog, not an emotional support dog. Two very different things.
True. But could you tell that it is a service dog or would you think that she was an emotional support animal. What I am saying has to do with judging without knowing the facts. Something I am sure no one on Flyertalk would do.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:57 am

People whine mindlessly about things on the internet with no idea of what they're talking about? Impossible.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by gungadin
True. But could you tell that it is a service dog or would you think that she was an emotional support animal. What I am saying has to do with judging without knowing the facts. Something I am sure no one on Flyertalk would do.
Sometimes you CAN tell a fake service animal or ESA.

Genuine service animals like your friend's dog receive extensive training, and are extremely well behaved, calm, focused animals. Any animal which acts nervous, makes noise, or won't sit still, is not a genuine service animal, because animals with those tendencies are screened out before training, and the training calms them even further.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Most service dogs wear distinctive harnesses (for the blind) or other ID eg a deaf friend's hearing dog wears a little hi vis vest with "Hearing dog for the deaf" clearly displayed on it while they are working.

As WillCAD says above - real service dogs have also undergone lengthy training which weeds out the nervous, badly behaved otherwise unsuitable animal before ever getting near their disabled companions.

That said - if this couple were in 1B and 1E why were those seated in 1A/C or 1D/E not asked to change places? Hopefully the lads forced to move got their money back!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Sometimes you CAN tell a fake service animal or ESA.

Genuine service animals like your friend's dog receive extensive training, and are extremely well behaved, calm, focused animals. Any animal which acts nervous, makes noise, or won't sit still, is not a genuine service animal, because animals with those tendencies are screened out before training, and the training calms them even further.
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
Most service dogs wear distinctive harnesses (for the blind) or other ID eg a deaf friend's hearing dog wears a little hi vis vest with "Hearing dog for the deaf" clearly displayed on it while they are working.

As WillCAD says above - real service dogs have also undergone lengthy training which weeds out the nervous, badly behaved otherwise unsuitable animal before ever getting near their disabled companions.
This.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
The story was NOT about fake service dogs.

It was about fake 'emotional support animals'.

As has been pointed out, we should be careful to make the distinction.

*IF* you have a family member, friend, whatever, that relys on ESAs, YOU should be a strident voice against these scammers. Instead of jumping in to attack people ('how dare you judge, my friend needs blah bah') you should be going after the scammers who- in the end- will ruin it for your friend.

If enough people run scams becuase the law is too open, the law will be changed- the new law may make it more onerous, and everyone that needs ESA may find it is as rigourous as a service animal.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:46 am

Oh man. I remember some time ago seeing a couple with an emotional support animal in line behind me. The lady was being nasty and rude to her husband, and their support dog was a yorkie. The little thing was just sitting there shaking. Pretty sure it boarded as an emotional support animal, too. I really wonder what kind of support it was providing, or if the poor dog was the one that needed emotional support.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
The story was NOT about fake service dogs.

It was about fake 'emotional support animals'.

As has been pointed out, we should be careful to make the distinction.

*IF* you have a family member, friend, whatever, that relys on ESAs, YOU should be a strident voice against these scammers. Instead of jumping in to attack people ('how dare you judge, my friend needs blah bah') you should be going after the scammers who- in the end- will ruin it for your friend.

If enough people run scams becuase the law is too open, the law will be changed- the new law may make it more onerous, and everyone that needs ESA may find it is as rigourous as a service animal.
The people who whine about these things will whine about people who have a legitimate need for a support animal. Unlike someone who is blind or physically handicapped, serious mental issues aren't visible on the outside.

Unless people are sneaking in dogs who don't apply, the airlines have some very strict guidelines around these sorts of things.

On a side note, again, I'm at 40k miles thus far this year and am yet to see one. Mostly people are here just whining for nothing other than the desire to see themselves type.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ou81two

Unless people are sneaking in dogs who don't apply, the airlines have some very strict guidelines around these sorts of things.

On a side note, again, I'm at 40k miles thus far this year and am yet to see one. Mostly people are here just whining for nothing other than the desire to see themselves type.
I saw a yorkie lady like mentioned above at MSP last year. And then ended up sitting on the floor in one of those way overcrowded corners of the airport (Yes, let's reduce seating by 30% and put a desk area right where boarding lines would logically form. Brilliant!)across from a couple of deadheading pilots who were gong through a ten point discussion of their skepticism of yorkie lady's 'emotional support animal', who was just bright enough to look like he/she was about to stress piddle while being out of the carrier and about to get taken out by five different roller suitcases at any moment. Pilot #1 finished with a 'and you can't even really ask if there's any documentation, or she'll sue and claim ADA.'
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:54 am

the airlines have some very strict guidelines around these sorts of things
What world do you live in?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I saw a yorkie lady like mentioned above at MSP last year. And then ended up sitting on the floor in one of those way overcrowded corners of the airport (Yes, let's reduce seating by 30% and put a desk area right where boarding lines would logically form. Brilliant!)across from a couple of deadheading pilots who were gong through a ten point discussion of their skepticism of yorkie lady's 'emotional support animal', who was just bright enough to look like he/she was about to stress piddle while being out of the carrier and about to get taken out by five different roller suitcases at any moment. Pilot #1 finished with a 'and you can't even really ask if there's any documentation, or she'll sue and claim ADA.'
Last year. You saw this once. It's April 2015 now. Thank you for proving my point

What world do you live in?
The one where, sadly, people don't know the proper rules of grammar.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Last year. You saw this once. It's April 2015 now. Thank you for proving my point
I would trust the opinion of a pilot who can see hundred of passengers every work day to someone with far less time in the air in that regard. And if the pilots are thinking it's a problem, then I'll call it a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.