Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fake Service Dogs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpewyMcSpew
OK, so I'd pay extra to be on that flight.

But I'd prepare by putting some Vick's under my nose. Penguins are really, really cute, but they stink to high heaven.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
I will not go into a rant here but I totally agree. The people with mental disorders should not be on a plane with a 40-70lb animal under no circumstance.
Nice to see that you agree with the current rules.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
After further reflection, I increasingly regard "emotional support animals" as yet more evidence of the general wussification of society.
I think passive aggressive complaints on the internet are a much better example. I'd say more, but don't want the moderation hassles.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ou81two
I think passive aggressive complaints on the internet are a much better example. I'd say more, but don't want the moderation hassles.
So, how's that emotional support animal of yours working out?

Last edited by MaxBuck; Apr 21, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Florida law criminalizing fake service animals goes into effect:

http://www.winknews.com/2015/06/17/f...minal-offense/

If caught, someone could face up to 60 days in jail, along with a $500 fine.
Granted the loophole that there are no real standards for service animals is still very much the case, but at least 'emotional support pig' lady could face some consequences if Big Bacon goes on a rampage in the airport food court after discovering her cousins were part of the breakfast special.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
Valium and xanax are also dirt cheap.
Emotional support dogs....that whole idea pisses me off. That's bull. However, having taken Valium, it's a) addictive and b) can really [vulgarism edited by Moderator] you up. Dogs are better, but NEEDING an emotional support dog while say...traveling or going about your day? Please.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 12, 2015 at 8:36 pm Reason: Per FT Rules.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
I haven't read through the whole thread, but just wanted to comment that I have been seated next to someone with an "emotional support" animal. The passenger said that flying made her nervous so her doc gave her the precription.

I'm not one to push drugs, but isn't that what valium/xanax/klonipin is for? I had to sacrifice my leg room for a 50+ pound bulldog. Granted, he was cute, but major airlines really need to stop this practice. If there is a medication you can take for the condition, then why the dog? I would happily give up space for a dog that's really needed, but OMG get some damn klonipin.

.. but I suppose that the medication answer would require people to be *gasp* responsible pet owners and either find a friend or a place to board their dog while on vacation.
Flying next to a 50-pound bulldog would make me nervous.

However, a prescription for an accompanying 60-pound bulldog would definitely put my mind at ease. @:-)
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by pinniped
Flying next to a 50-pound bulldog would make me nervous.
What about a turkey? Would that make you nervous? Why would anyone want a turkey as an ESA? I really don't get it.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0.../?intcmp=hpbt1
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
What about a turkey? Would that make you nervous? Why would anyone want a turkey as an ESA? I really don't get it.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0.../?intcmp=hpbt1
An ESA is essentially a wooby - a living creature used as a security blanket. People with abnormal amounts of anxiety often fixate on a single object, animal, or person, which gives them a sense of safety or security and calms their fears. It's fairly common.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by WillCAD
An ESA is essentially a wooby - a living creature used as a security blanket. People with abnormal amounts of anxiety often fixate on a single object, animal, or person, which gives them a sense of safety or security and calms their fears. It's fairly common.
Only in the first world, I'm guessing. @:-)
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Why would anyone want a turkey as an ESA? I really don't get it.
Different folks different strokes. Objectively speaking if one can accept that a person NEEDS a dog as an ESA, there isn't really much reason not to accept that another person could NEED a turkey or (insert any other animal here).
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Only in the first world, I'm guessing. @:-)
It's not that people in the second and third worlds don't have that same condition, it's just that only people in the first world can afford to keep an animal as a pet and use it as their wooby.

Naturally, most of these people are so focused on their condition as a justification for the need of an ESA - and I do acknowledge the legitimacy of their mental condition - that they fail to show any concern for, like, the whole rest of the human race, by having their ESA's trained to actual service animal levels.

Thus, whether their need for an ESA is legitimate or not, most ESAs literally are nothing more than pets and fail to reach the level of genuine service animal.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Quote:
I don't either. Also birds can carry transmittable diseases like avian flu and histoplasmosis.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
One day sheeps will be partners of flyers.

As The World Turns.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:12 am

I doubt the airlines , or other companies would like to question anyone about their "service dog" because they could be sued ,

maybe I need a "service big screen" to calm me down on long flights

I know a couple people that use the "service dog" vests so they can bring their dogs places that they are not allowed , no one will question then !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.