"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Tell me one european airline that does get some assistance from it's government in one form or another. Certainly their concern is for their flag carrier, unlike our current administration who could care less about anything remotely related to "big Business"

Sorry for the politics I am a businessman and not happy.
I assume you mean that "doesn't" - And I could simply name almost all of them. Unlike all major US airlines which have benefited from significant state write-off of debts in the form of Chapter 11 in the last 15 years, European airlines have had to survive by themselves without state support. Indeed, the European Union has very tough regulations on where the state is allowed to intervene to support players in a market - the likes of which would make US Congressman give up and go home.

Incidentally, as another businessman, I much prefer it when governments don't attempt to micro-manage industry which is what you appear to be calling for.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
All I really want is for the three remaining US majors to shut up and enjoy the environment of halved competition they've been allowed to create over the past six years. If you're losing customers to EK, QR, EY, well guess what, it sucks to suck. Deal with it by actually trying to compete with their vastly superior products rather than crying to the government yet again about how unfair life is. They should feel lucky that they barely have to compete with anyone meaningful on the domestic front and can offer customers as crappy a product as they do already.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I assume you mean that "doesn't" - And I could simply name almost all of them. Unlike all major US airlines which have benefited from significant state write-off of debts in the form of Chapter 11 in the last 15 years, European airlines have had to survive by themselves without state support. Indeed, the European Union has very tough regulations on where the state is allowed to intervene to support players in a market - the likes of which would make US Congressman give up and go home.

Incidentally, as another businessman, I much prefer it when governments don't attempt to micro-manage industry which is what you appear to be calling for.
^^ And why don't some people do a bit of research before posting? Not all things in Europe are USA style by any means.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
In the case of domestic US air travel, I'll call for it outright -- it's time to revisit the question of regulation. We got the benefits of deregulation for a couple of decades, but it has long since ceased to serve the public and now serves the oligopoly (perhaps even a cartel) of a few major carriers.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
In the case of domestic US air travel, I'll call for it outright -- it's time to revisit the question of regulation. We got the benefits of deregulation for a couple of decades, but it has long since ceased to serve the public and now serves the oligopoly (perhaps even a cartel) of a few major carriers.
Agreed. Either re-regulate or allow foreign competitors.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Personally, I would be perfectly fine with being "invaded" by air carriers from the Middle East, Africa, Asia, South America, or Europe, i'm not picky at this point. I personally am tired of "dealing with it" in regards to less legroom, less amenities, and more fees. I think the US carriers need to "deal with it" and either invest in their product to compete with air carriers around the world, or go out of business.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by airplanegod
Personally, I would be perfectly fine with being "invaded" by air carriers from the Middle East, Africa, Asia, South America, or Europe, i'm not picky at this point. I personally am tired of "dealing with it" in regards to less legroom, less amenities, and more fees. I think the US carriers need to "deal with it" and either invest in their product to compete with air carriers around the world, or go out of business.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Tell me one european airline that does get some assistance from it's government in one form or another. Certainly their concern is for their flag carrier, unlike our current administration who could care less about anything remotely related to "big Business"

Sorry for the politics I am a businessman and not happy.
Most legacy major airlines in Europe get some home government assistance, and so too do the US legacy majors get some home government assistance.

As an investor and businessperson, I'm rather happy with how the US economy has turned out in recent years *** [Moderator edit to remove overly political text.]
If anything, I fault the current Admin for too much continuinity, including with regard to allowing the US airline mega-mergers and the ATI JV's when it comes to TATL and TPAC service.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 18, 2015 at 2:55 pm Reason: See Moderator note, post 268.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:09 pm
Suspended

The best thing to do to stop Qatar, Etihad, and Emirates is to limit rights between the U.S. and Europe. One flight from Milan Malpensa to JFK is fine but not too much more than that. If it's not limited then eventually Emirates can have 25 flights to European cities (where most passengers get off) and 25 transatlantic flights (siphoning traffic there)

Those airlines do provide a service that U.S. airlines don't. Flying to Eritrea, Pakistan, etc. With quite a few refugees in the U.S. and Canada, they have to go home for visits eventually. As far as good business class service, if you are flying to India or the Middle East, they provide it. Singapore Airlines isn't a good competitor anymore because you have to stop somewhere before Singapore then there's the connecting flight to India.

The difficult point to address is when is the Emir a private investor and when is he the state (so it's state funding). Hard question.

Another difficult point is how to improve U.S. airlines business class service. There have been good improvements in the seat, however. That's a plus!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
[Moderator conforming edit re quote since deleted and reply thereto.]

It doesn't bother me in the least if EK finds it practical to have as many dozen flights between Europe and the US or Canada as it wishes to have. Is there anything to stop US investors from investing in a new UAE-based airline to take advantage of the international legal agreements applicable to existing UAE-based airlines? Maybe some US airlines can try to get in on the same game.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 18, 2015 at 2:54 pm Reason: See Moderator note posted below.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Are there any indications that they want to get more into the TATL market between the US and Europe?

Without transiting through the mideast first?

NY to London alone would attract some demand, though it would be brutal competition. But that would be good for consumers.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by wco81
Are there any indications that they want to get more into the TATL market between the US and Europe?

Without transiting through the mideast first?

NY to London alone would attract some demand, though it would be brutal competition. But that would be good for consumers.
If the ME3, somehow, started more TATL routes, I would hope it would link cities that may have required a connection in the past (like MXP).

As someone who used to be in Y on TATL 757 flights, all I can say to the US airlines is ---- 'em. The experience of flying US carriers made me feel as if I were regarded with contempt by the airline: $7 for a drinkable beer in the lounges, no lounge arrangement for non-T con F pax, ancient planes, equipment swaps on lesser int'l routes (domestic F 757 on a TATL J trip? bloody hell), pedestrian menus, and rapidly degrading the FFPs. My recent F trip on VX gave me hope (good service, food & beverage, comfortable seat), although their financials don't bolster that hope.

Also, this article came out: link
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Unlike all major US airlines which have benefited from significant state write-off of debts in the form of Chapter 11 in the last 15 years,
Bankruptcy protection is not a state subsidy. It is part of the cost of doing business. When a business borrows money or purchases services with the promise of later payment, the cost reflects the probability of default. Most likely, US airlines are paying higher rates for just about everything, in order to account for their poor record in this area.

Originally Posted by nkedel
I don't think regulation is necessary. What we need is better enforcement of our antitrust laws. It may be too late, but none of the mergers in the last 10 years should have been permitted.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is there anything to stop US investors from investing in a new UAE-based airline to take advantage of the international legal agreements applicable to existing UAE-based airlines?
I'm sure the rulers of the UAE will have absolutely no objection to foreign investors coming to their state-owned airport to compete against their state-owned airline
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
I'm sure the rulers of the UAE will have absolutely no objection to foreign investors coming to their state-owned airport to compete against their state-owned airline
I actually tend to think they wouldn't really care. I just don't think there are any US investors interested in such an endeavor.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
That NYT article had an interesting point. US has a $20 billion trade surplus with one of those countries, largely because of aircraft purchases.

Wonder if that's annual though.

In any event, with that kind of money involved, it doesn't seem likely they'll hinder the ME carriers or else Boeing and other aerospace firms will lobby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.