Wiki Posts
Search

"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Amazing. Anyone who is complaining about sitting in F, IMO, needs to re-evaluate things. The vast majority of flyers don't sit in F -- including the vast majority who fly on their employer's dime and the vast majority who fly on any flight -- 6.5 hours, 1 hour, or 15 hours. To judge an airline by its F product makes little sense whatsoever. Those seats are just a drop in the flying-bucket.

You miss why one flies -- to get from A to B safely and to enjoy the miracle of flight, something which has nothing to do with one's seat or meal -- those are just minor add-ons.

Y service is certainly better on certain of the Arab gulf airlines than on certain US airlines. However, one ought not choose one's airline based on such trivial issues as comfort. One picks safety, route availability, price (including the value of future free air travel earned through FF programs), and how the airline treats its employees, the environment, and the larger community. On these important issues there are deficiencies among the Arab gulf airlines.
We're going to just have to agree to disagree about almost everything you've said.

I will say that one should choose their airline based on who is offering them the most acceptable product at the most acceptable price. Internal affairs should never even be known by the customer in my opinion.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I am sorry that you do not know people who "chooses an airline based on your 'safety, route availability, price (including the value of future free air travel earned through FF programs), and how the airline treats its employees, the environment, and the larger community.'" On what ethical standard do your fellows employ when making the choice of air carriers?
What percentage of customers do you believe, or have evidence to suggest, factor in "how the airline treats its employees, the environment, and the larger community"? And how do those rank in order of importance among other factors with those passengers?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I do wonder why US carriers aren't extremely worried about airlines like Air China etc. They are similar to Gulf carriers in many ways: government owned, eating traffic away from US carriers, nicer than US carriers (although probably not as nice as Gulf carriers), and it would be a huge blow if CA or the like starts siphoning off US carrier Asia traffic, as it is a significant destination for US airlines, unlike the Middle East and Indian subcontinent.
CX and SQ are the only non-Gulf carriers I can think of that operate under similar circumstances (small home markets + lots of connecting passengers). But, neither HK nor SG has the geographical advantage that the ME offers (i.e. within flying range of 80% of the earth's population).

Carriers like CA and JL are different because: 1) they offer up attractive home markets in parity with those that they fly to; and 2) int-int connections aren't nearly as important to them.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Maybe a bit off the subject of Middle Eastern airlines but you only have to compare most European airlines to the US ones to know how sad some US ones are in comparison. I don't think the "forced labour /harsh contracts" apply to them. I don't fly internal US much these days but with the length of some of them equal to TATL the First product is mank and definitely should be better for the prices they charge. So it's not simply down to the competition having cheap labour, higher subsidies in every case, it's down to lack of both initiative and respect for the customer by US airlines who have a captive audience.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by moondog
CX and SQ are the only non-Gulf carriers I can think of that operate under similar circumstances (small home markets + lots of connecting passengers). But, neither HK nor SG has the geographical advantage that the ME offers (i.e. within flying range of 80% of the earth's population).

Carriers like CA and JL are different because: 1) they offer up attractive home markets in parity with those that they fly to; and 2) int-int connections aren't nearly as important to them.
One might add FI and BT to your list of non-Gulf carriers with small home markets and lots of connecting traffic. I'm not sure, however, that Hong Kong ought not be considered a major market in itself.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
When people say "X metal" it is referring to the airline, not the plane. The person you were talking to therefore meant flying on a US airline. As many of them have at least a few Airbus planes, that doesn't necessarily mean being on a US aircraft!
Minor and irrelevant point. The main point of my post remains valid. Flying US airlines out of a misguided sense of patriotism is doing a disservice to the country. The US carriers sure don't give a damn about the American passenger, why fly them? They should depend on their own management and quality of service product, not the patriotism of their passengers. Relying on patriotism is not going to make them more competitive on their own or make them treat their passengers better.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
Minor and irrelevant point. The main point of my post remains valid. Flying US airlines out of a misguided sense of patriotism is doing a disservice to the country. The US carriers sure don't give a damn about the American passenger, why fly them? They should depend on their own management and quality of service product, not the patriotism of their passengers. Relying on patriotism is not going to make them more competitive on their own or make them treat their passengers better.
It wasn't irrelevant - you made a smart-a** comment based on something you misunderstood so I corrected you!

Patriotism on the other hand is a completely different matter. Not being an American, I think it's ridiculous. But if people want to support their own country then I don't see why they should be moaned at for it. No airline "gives a damn" about the American passenger - but then that's not the reason they've given for supporting US airlines.

The reason is presumably to keep their money within America and protect American jobs. Others will have a more ethical standpoint - I've heard shocking things about how Qatar airlines treat their staff in particular. As I say, it's not a philosophy I personally subscribe to, but it is perfectly logical.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I say, it's not a philosophy I personally subscribe to, but it is perfectly logical.
It's logical to pay money to support a company which is offering you a worse product simply because they're based in your home country? That seems pretty illogical to me.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
While the Fly America Act requires generally requires government traffic to utilize U.S. carriers to the greatest extent possible regardless of fair, the story is not that simple.

Codeshare flights with U.S. flight numbers but operated by foreign carriers count as a U.S. flight. Therefore, one can fly, say an AA flight operated by RJ, an AA flight operated by GF, or an AA flight operated by EY - not to mention AA flights operated by BA, IB, CX, etc. Likewise one can utilize a UA flight operated by TK, MS, SQ, etc.

Additionally international treaty trumps the requirement to utilize U.S. carriers. Because of treaties with the E.U. and with K.S.A., one can utilize any E.U. carrier or SV without violating Fly America Act requirements.

As to Canada, please note that EK, EY, LY, MS, QR, RJ & SV all have flights to Canada. Additionally, while not in the Middle East proper, one might note that carriers AH, AT, ET, PK, & TK, often but incorrectly associated with the Middle East, also have flights to Canada. I'm, thus, not sure why you assert that Canada has "basically shut out the ME carriers[.]"
So to add some clarity to your comments about the "slave labor" used by the Gulf States airlines. I am in the middle of a trip on EK and have made a point of looking into this. On one flight there was an American FA who happened to be from the same home town as me and we actually knew some of the same people. SO I asked her and her comments and those of others was positive, they liked it, felt they were treated fairly, rules, Yes slave labor NO. The ones I talked to all said more or less the same, They could start out flying International, living in Dubai was exciting, and they planned on flying for a certain period of time, not a career. Also I asked a contact here in Dubai about so called "slave labor" or taking advantage of foreign workers and his response was thats a thing of the past.

SO not knowing where your information comes I am here.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
It's logical to pay money to support a company which is offering you a worse product simply because they're based in your home country? That seems pretty illogical to me.
This assumes that one's interest is strictly in limiting $$ spent. As others have said some value frills-of-product, others value seamless same airline origin-to-destination, others value supporting their fellow countrymen/women, others value the way labor is treated, others find economic benefit to themselves in keeping the $$ with the local firm, those dollars much more likely to stay local enriching the home quality of life.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This assumes that one's interest is strictly in limiting $$ spent. As others have said some value frills-of-product, others value seamless same airline origin-to-destination, others value supporting their fellow countrymen/women, others value the way labor is treated, others find economic benefit to themselves in keeping the $$ with the local firm, those dollars much more likely to stay local enriching the home quality of life.
Make no mistake, the only thing being enriched by flying on US airlines are the pockets of Doug Parker, Richard Anderson, and Jeff Smisek.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:39 pm

Except of course that is not the only reason...

Regardless, yes it is. Lose the American airlines and you lose millions of jobs. If you're patriotic it therefore makes perfect sense to support American companies over foreign competitors.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: NZ*S

Regardless, yes it is. Lose the American airlines and you lose millions of jobs.
Most of those jobs wont go anywhere.

Domestic flights will stilled have to staffed by local people. You aren't going to fly cabin crew in from Singapore, put them up in hotels just so they can work the IAD-JFK run, its just not cost effective. Ditto with all the support jobs, baggage handlers, gate agents, catering, basic engineering etc. Those jobs are tied to locations physically within the USA. The same thing happens with intl flights with early morning departures. You either run a red-eye flight (at a loss) in to position a crew/aircraft for the morning departure, or you base your staff at the location.

The jobs you could lose are the ones that are not tied to a physical location, so call centres, IT & management primarily. Heavy engineering is already heavily outsourced, so no change there.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regardless, yes it is. Lose the American airlines and you lose millions of jobs. If you're patriotic it therefore makes perfect sense to support American companies over foreign competitors.
Even IF this were true (which it isn't) the void left by every failed US carrier would have to be picked up by someone, and most individuals in useful and relevant positions would find jobs with other companies.

This has nothing to do with patriotism, this has to do with business. If a company is unwilling to show me any loyalty and cannot provide me with an acceptable product, I'm not going to give them my business whether they're based in the US, Canada, UK, Singapore, or Somalia.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:25 pm

Make no mistake, the only thing being enriched by flying on US airlines are the pockets of Doug Parker, Richard Anderson, and Jeff Smisek.
Yes, those three are certainly enriched - and largely so. So too are the law firms and Wall Street bankers that profit from their mergers - mergers which, I believe, are contrary to the public interest.

However, while ordinary employees of the big three are certainly not being enriched they are receiving something. Better, perhaps, to be underpaid than unemployed. There is also economic benefit to the airlines' suppliers, while smaller than it should be, it is something for the greater economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.