Wiki Posts
Search

"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
There's a story in the SF media about passengers being stranded on the tarmac for 12 hours in Abu Dhabi or some Middle Eastern airport due to fog. The Etihad airliner destined for SFO was held in queue because of extraordinary fog.

No food other than some sandwiches when people kept complaining.

If they're serious about the TATL market, they'd fly from US airports to Western Europe and then onward to the ME. That will get a lot of US customers.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by wco81
There's a story in the SF media about passengers being stranded on the tarmac for 12 hours in Abu Dhabi or some Middle Eastern airport due to fog. The Etihad airliner destined for SFO was held in queue because of extraordinary fog.

If they're serious about the TATL market, they'd fly from US airports to Western Europe and then onward to the ME. That will get a lot of US customers.
AND that has never happened on a US Flag Carrier ? Having said that it was disgusting to hear and hope that they pay dearly for what happened to the passengers let alone the crew. Where was the Captain in all this ?

I agree if they can fly from US to Europe without having to go through their home base then it won and done. And we passengers will be the clear winners. But since most of the European airlines are in one way or another subsidized by their governments might not happen. And the of course there's the cry baby US Flags that can't even get out of their own way.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I agree if they can fly from US to Europe without having to go through their home base then it won and done. And we passengers will be the clear winners. But since most of the European airlines are in one way or another subsidized by their governments might not happen. And the of course there's the cry baby US Flags that can't even get out of their own way.
Err, what? I don't think you're right on that one. "Most"? Can you name them? Any?

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; Jan 5, 2015 at 1:26 pm Reason: tone :)
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yeah I'm not saying it's likely. For instance, would FRA, CDG, KLM, LHR give a lot of slots to these airlines for flights to/from US?

Given their relationships with LH, AF/KLM, BA, etc. it seems unlikely.

Plus even if you get to Western Europe on these Arab airlines, how would you continue to other European destinations, unless they have alliances or partnerships with the European airlines?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
...unless they have alliances or partnerships with the European airlines?
Well, QR is in an alliance with BA, IB, and AB. EY has its own little network with AB, EY Regional, and Air Serbia or whatever that's called these days. That really just leaves EK.

Personally, I don't really care if they're alliance partners or not. It's easy enough to just buy separate TATL and inter-euro tickets. I've done it, and continue to do it quite often.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Err, what? I don't think you're right on that one. "Most"? Can you name them? Any?
Tell me one european airline that does get some assistance from it's government in one form or another. Certainly their concern is for their flag carrier, unlike our current administration who could care less about anything remotely related to "big Business"

Sorry for the politics I am a businessman and not happy.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Tell me one european airline that does get some assistance from it's government in one form or another. Certainly their concern is for their flag carrier, unlike our current administration who could care less about anything remotely related to "big Business"

Sorry for the politics I am a businessman and not happy.
No, sorry, you made the claim: you get to back it up.

"One form or another" makes it meaningless. Every carrier everywhere gets something "in one form or another" because that can include everything down to and including a simple tax rebate/credit/deduction. I'm presuming you're meaning something more substantial, but can't think what "most EU carriers" might get in that regard.

There aren't (in the proper sense) many EU flag carriers, btw. Most are independent, commercial companies that stand or fail on their own. Look at IB for an example.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:50 am

I read that a passenger died on that specific flight... apparently he died from natural causes, but it was mentioned that he had a scar that could be related to a heart operation...
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
No, sorry, you made the claim: you get to back it up.

"One form or another" makes it meaningless. Every carrier everywhere gets something "in one form or another" because that can include everything down to and including a simple tax rebate/credit/deduction. I'm presuming you're meaning something more substantial, but can't think what "most EU carriers" might get in that regard.

There aren't (in the proper sense) many EU flag carriers, btw. Most are independent, commercial companies that stand or fail on their own. Look at IB for an example.
SL I am on a extended trip on return flight now and will happily respond when I am home!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by LoungeBum
I read that a passenger died on that specific flight... apparently he died from natural causes, but it was mentioned that he had a scar that could be related to a heart operation...
different flight

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/elderl...-etihad-flight
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Some might find this to be an interesting read:

Insider Series: True Life of an Emirates Flight Attendant
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/01/insi...#ixzz3OKTKYRGa

Some may claim it is being sensational to gain views, but flying potentially exhausted crews seems like it could be dangerous in an emergency.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

DL, AA and UA complained about $42 million in "unfair" subsidies received by the Gulf/Arab airlines earlier this month.

Al-baker of Qatar refuted the claims and then trash-talked DL:

Baker's attack on Monday though was not merely limited to discussions over competition.

He also defended Qatar Airway's record when it comes to CO2 emissions and unflatteringly compared Delta's aircraft to those of his company when asked about aviation pollution.

"I am delighted that Richard Anderson of Delta is not here. First of all, we don't fly crap airplanes that are 35 years old. The Qatar Airways average fleet (age) is only fours years and one month," said Baker.

"We have ultra-modern airplanes. We have invested, my country has invested, huge amounts to make sure we are the lowest CO2 contributor in the aviation industry."
http://news.yahoo.com/qatar-airways-...31601698.html#
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:57 pm

DL, AA and UA complained about $42 million in "unfair" subsidies received by the Gulf/Arab airlines earlier this month.

Al-baker of Qatar refuted the claims and then trash-talked DL:

http://news.yahoo.com/qatar-airways-...31601698.html#
Works for me especially the "old Crap Airplanes of Delta" I have four forth coming international trips planned NONE are on US carriers especially not Delta.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Works for me especially the "old Crap Airplanes of Delta" I have four forth coming international trips planned NONE are on US carriers especially not Delta.
Sadly, Delta's old crap airplanes are the best in the fleet. The 757, 747, MD-88 are all considerably more pleasant than the crappy 737s and Airbuses that are currently being delivered.

Now if QR flew domestically within the US then yeah. DL's entire fleet would look like a fleet of crapboxes in comparison. Sadly however, I don't currently enjoy having such an option for domestic travel.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Sadly, Delta's old crap airplanes are the best in the fleet. The 757, 747, MD-88 are all considerably more pleasant than the crappy 737s and Airbuses that are currently being delivered.

Now if QR flew domestically within the US then yeah. DL's entire fleet would look like a fleet of crapboxes in comparison. Sadly however, I don't currently enjoy having such an option for domestic travel.
I think the point is the US carriers are basically "milking the cow" domestically as well as internationally when it comes to their metal. And yes the new birds being delivered other than AS are very bland to say the least. But this is also symbolic of our business culture profits profits and more profits. It's called "hedge funds"

Don't get me wrong profit is a good thing ( being a business owner ) but to what end ?

AS has a solid model blending profit and people sometimes we all disagree with them but hey that's the way it goes.

Off to another AS flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.