Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
That's what I've been trying to find out. Can I use Project Fi one month,
then suspend it the next month... then activate it again the next month?

I intend to use the Project Fi SIM in a non-Nexus phone.(most likely my
Galaxy Note 5 or S7) I was told on by Project Fi that the suspending
and reactivating of the Project Fi acct has to be done on a Nexus phone
only. Is this correct?
You can suspend Fi service, but I believe that you can only suspend service for a total of 3 months within a 1 year period.

As for suspending (technically pausing in their terminology), you should be able to do it either from the Fi app on your nexus phone, or through the web interface. I see ways to do it from both, but have never tried, so cannot verify that it works.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
That's what I've been trying to find out. Can I use Project Fi one month,
then suspend it the next month... then activate it again the next month?

I intend to use the Project Fi SIM in a non-Nexus phone.(most likely my
Galaxy Note 5 or S7) I was told on by Project Fi that the suspending
and reactivating of the Project Fi acct has to be done on a Nexus phone
only. Is this correct?

Thanks!
I paused my service a few days ago online and it appears I can resume it there as well. My Fi SIM has not been in a Nexus-approved phone ever since it was activated.

You can only suspend service for three months at a time, though I cannot seem to find a limit on total suspension during a year.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Data point. I signed up for Fi at 1 GB. I used less than 0.5 GB the first month and got a $5 rebate on my next bill. It is fantastic in Austin. Both Sprint and T mo have improved their antenna coverage in central Texas in the past year. Mucho travel in the next 2 months and will report back.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I'm a loyal T-Mo Fan but I have to say that this month's unthrottled connections in Europe spoiled me and got me thinking about Project Fi. I picked up an unlocked Nexus 6P from Amazon during their "Prime Day" deal and figured I'd give it a try.

I activated today with a new number as I'm not sure I want to port off my iPhone/Tmo Unlimited plan. I'll probably spend the next month or so playing with both simultaneously.

From what I understand, FI is much less aggressive with switching to Wifi calling... to the point where a single bar of Cellular service will be preferred for calling over wifi. I'm not sure I like this behavior as I've been spoiled by T-Mo. With T-Mo if you are on wifi, wifi calling kicks in. This brings me to my concern:

If I'm traveling internationally and am on Hotel Wifi... will the Phone still default to cellular for making calls back to the US? Or will it default to wifi when roaming? I guess I could use the Hangouts Dialer to force wifi use, but I like the no stress single dialer approach I'm used to from T-Mo.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:15 am

First Crack in the Nexus Only Wall -- Non-Nexus LG Approved for Fi

Don't know much, but here is the story:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/8/1/12339826/lg-v20-announced-release-date-android-nougatp
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster
If I'm traveling internationally and am on Hotel Wifi... will the Phone still default to cellular for making calls back to the US? Or will it default to wifi when roaming? I guess I could use the Hangouts Dialer to force wifi use, but I like the no stress single dialer approach I'm used to from T-Mo.
It's supposed to prefer wifi when outside the US. I'd keep a close eye on it, though--I don't know how T-Mobile's looks but a wifi call on Fi will say "Calling via [your SSID]" in the call screen.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:24 am

On my Nexus 6, choose the phone app (not settings or a third party dialer), tap the three dots to the far right of the search bar, now go >calls, >wi-fi calling, and make sure the option "wi-fi calling -- use wifi for calls when my connection is strong enough."

To get more aggressive, go into developer mode from your settings app, select: General > About phone. Then scroll and select Software information > Build number. Now rapidly tap on 'Build Number' five times and you will see the message 'You are now a developer!' Now go back to settings, go into the previously hidden developer menu. There is an option to do the opposite called "Aggressive Wi-Fi to Cellular handover". It says: "when enabled, Wi-Fi will be more aggressive in handing over the data connection to Cellular, when Wi-Fi signal is low." I'd give this a try.

There is an app called "Llama Locations" in the Playstore which can also ring fence your hotel and turn off cellular in a given location.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kebab.Llama&hl=en

Additionally, you can use hangouts for personal calls (ones where a little bit of imperfection isn't a deal-breaker ) and put the call out out over LTE for less in many countries. Be sure to find an echo test number to test your connection before doing this too much.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
There is an app called "Llama Locations" in the Playstore which can also ring fence your hotel and turn off cellular in a given location.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ab.Llama&hl=en
I've used LLAMA for many years, it's a very powerful tool and must have app for any more than simple android user.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
So i got myself a 5x 16gb. What should I know about the phone and Fi?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Coolers
I paused my service a few days ago online and it appears I can resume it there as well. My Fi SIM has not been in a Nexus-approved phone ever since it was activated.

You can only suspend service for three months at a time, though I cannot seem to find a limit on total suspension during a year.
I received an email from Project Fi rep.

So the "official" word is that the account can be suspended for 3 months.
At the end of the 3 months, it will automatically become active again.
The $20 months fee will be charged and not refunded, but the $10 1gb
will be refunded, if the customer suspends the account again.

Basically, it is possible to suspend the account 4 times each year. At
each automatically resumption, it costs $20. So that's $80 for a whole
year. (less if the customer only plans to use the Project Fi one month
ouf of the year... for example, only during international travel).

Oh, the rep also told me that I can use whatever GSM phone that I want.

Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ewrfox
It's a good phone for the price, has pretty crappy battery life. Fi works pretty much as described in this thread.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat
There is a google fi forum which is helpful. I like my 5x but the battery is too small. I have had good luck in my travels. They also have a facebook page. It has been a bit of a learning experience but I am pretty happy with Fi.
Great customer service as well.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:41 am

The 5X is seemingly having some issues with roaming on Sprint at the moment that Google is aware of and patching.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by bruceba
There is a google fi forum which is helpful. I like my 5x but the battery is too small. I have had good luck in my travels. They also have a facebook page. It has been a bit of a learning experience but I am pretty happy with Fi.
Great customer service as well.

what kind of battery do you usually after the 5X is fully charged?

thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:21 am

I can't speak to the battery in the 5x, but I've had the 6P on Fi for a week and it is comparable to my iPhone 6sPlus on T-Mo.

That said, battery when traveling is less important for me since I disovered the RavPower portable powerbank with USB-C. The Nexus charges SUPER fast off that badboy, so I'm not really worried about running out of juice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.