Free Windows 10 upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I'm getting it. I seem to have downloaded about a gigabyte of data already today and the machine has only been up about an hour.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The above post may be in error - I forgot I put my computers to sleep rather than power down, so the cumulative total since the last time it was powered down (about a week) is showing.

Or, to quote Gilda Radner, "Never mind!"
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oooh! Oooh!

How make your own .iso image from the download!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You can just go to the Microsoft site and upgrade if you don't want to wait.

That's what I did.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by BigLar
Rollout starts happening today.

This site gives a little more info, although I didn't like this:

I thought they would give you an option to let them know a good time.

At least it doesn't say they will automatically upgrade your OS.

Also, no word yet on just getting the .iso image, and how they will handle activation.
Yeah, thankfully the whole, "It'll download automatically and you can install it when you're ready" thing has been part of the plan for a while. Still, you're right, they should allow you the option to manually begin the download rather than automatically doing it for you. Fortunately, this doesn't hurt me, as I have very good bandwidth at home, but not everyone does.

Originally Posted by BigLar
Thanks for that. I have a number of machines to upgrade over the next few months and I sure as heck don't want to have to download the whole thing onto each machine.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

That's what I did.
Yes that's what I did using the Media Creator Tool. Downloaded it on to a memory stick first just in case something went wrong. Now using the direct download on to my laptop option.
I'm IT clueless so I'm just following the instructions.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Don't bother making your own ISOs, you can download them directly from MS.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...d/windows10ISO

You can also seemingly force your computer to upgrade rather than waiting for the Windows 10 tool to tell you it is ready. Download the Windows 10 media tool from MS here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 - run it and choose the option to upgrade this PC now.

Last edited by javabytes; Jul 29, 2015 at 2:26 pm
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

That's what I did.
Left my Surface 3 on power, sleeping, throughout today. The upgrade process is seamless but a tad slow (thanks, presumably, to Microsoft's brain dead decision to cut corners, and not use flash, on this device). Windows 10 itself looks very nice. I don't do beta OS, so tonight was my first play with it. I love the task view and quite like the multiple desktop implementation.

Last edited by Internaut; Jul 29, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Internaut
(thanks, presumably, to Microsoft's brain dead decision to cut corners, and not use flash, on this device).
Huh? The Surface 3 uses flash; it uses a much slower interface to the flash (eMMC vs. the much faster mSATA or PCI-e interface that a real laptop SSD would use) but it's still flash memory.

But yes, I can see where that would make the Windows 10 upgrade glacial. Putting the preview builds on my Compute Stick were painfully slow and that has 32gb eMMC.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Well I took the plunge. Upgrade is installed. It refused to activate for a while, saying "Windows can't activate, try again later" and that ""0xC004F061 - The Software Licensing Service reported that the license could not be found or was invalid." Seems this is just related to overloaded servers though. After clicking the Activate button about a dozen times, it finally activated.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I took the plunge and my first reaction was " I want 8.1 back".

My big problem is that it seems to be Chrome unfriendly...in fact I can't even surf with chrome which comes up with blank pages saying " untitled" for every icon I have to favorite webpages. I even changed my default browser to Chrome from the new Windows E and I am getting nothing.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hey Guys,

I am on new Windows 10 and it's great! I can see everything. We have startup button. I just downloaded it for free and also, we have a problem with monitor. We have someone come over there at my house today. He fixed my computer and etc. So now, it's working well. Thanks to my friends and appreciate for my helps.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by david4455

My big problem is that it seems to be Chrome unfriendly...in fact I can't even surf with chrome which comes up with blank pages saying " untitled" for every icon I have to favorite webpages. I even changed my default browser to Chrome from the new Windows E and I am getting nothing.
Edge is faster than Chrome. Why use Chrome?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by david4455

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome. It works flawlessly on Windows 10 for me.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Edge is faster than Chrome. Why use Chrome?
1) No good ad-blockers for Edge yet.
2) No Privacy Badger (or Ghostery for those who prefer it) yet.
3) Already have all your bookmarks in Chrome.
4) Use Chrome extensions for things like Hangouts chat, Gmail offline, etc.

(I mainly use Firefox, but a lot of the Google-ecosystem stuff I use works better in Chrome, and I've got Firefox so locked down for privacy and security, that I need to have some fallback on pages that break.)
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nkedel

1) No good ad-blockers for Edge yet.
2) No Privacy Badger (or Ghostery for those who prefer it) yet.
3) Already have all your bookmarks in Chrome.
4) Use Chrome extensions for things like Hangouts chat, Gmail offline, etc.
Touche. I'm in between using Edge and Firefox myself.

I refuse to touch Internet Exploder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.