Search

Blackberry 10 Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wco81
I can understand the appeal of the keyboard model, since that's the form factor that attracted a lot of people and earned their loyalty.

But my understanding is that BB is prioritizing the touchscreen model, to better compete against the other smartphones.
That is the gist of many complaints in this thread (and many other websites): BlackBerry shot themselves in the foot by not offering the Q10 first.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It's not just a matter of not offering it first.

It sounds like they will focus on the full touchscreen model. So future products and features may be targeted for the full screen, rather than the smaller screen on the keyboard model.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
BB is still big in asia people!

Don't focus too much how the folks in North America think, even though I admit it's a core market.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Good news: Jelly Bean will be support "eventually". Hopefully soon.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-and...-41-jelly-bean
Interesting that this number just popped up.

57% of Android devices are running Gingerbread or lower. So we can't really feel all that bad about BlackBerry emulation being Gingerbread for now.

http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...-still-largest
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

Don't focus too much how the folks in North America think, even though I admit it's a core market.
And the UK.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
That is the gist of many complaints in this thread (and many other websites): BlackBerry shot themselves in the foot by not offering the Q10 first.
They did the same sort of thing with the last pearl models where the two letters to a key model the 9100 that I wanted wasn't available in most countries including the UK, but the T9 model the 9105 was and that one sucked. Very odd decision there too.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

But is that because of the brand, or some exclusive feature like BBM or because of the keyboard?

Or that BB phones tended to be cheaper than iPhones or Androids?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wco81
But is that because of the brand, or some exclusive feature like BBM or because of the keyboard?
BBM is a huge selling point for many people.

Or that BB phones tended to be cheaper than iPhones or Androids?
Ironically, BB phones are outrageously expensive when purchased unlocked.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
With the sluggishness of the Android apps, as reported on The Verge, I wonder if that is going to remain part of the BB strategy - or if it is a temporary fix to deal with the limited availability of apps.
At the end of the day, it'd be like getting an Ubuntu phone and using WINE to run windows apps. In other words, not an ideal situation.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dimramon
With the sluggishness of the Android apps, as reported on The Verge, I wonder if that is going to remain part of the BB strategy - or if it is a temporary fix to deal with the limited availability of apps.
At the end of the day, it'd be like getting an Ubuntu phone and using WINE to run windows apps. In other words, not an ideal situation.
They've been paying developers to port over/develop apps as well as the Android capability so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Certainly was for me

Ironically, BB phones are outrageously expensive when purchased unlocked.
Yup bought my Bold 9700 sim unlocked and it wasn't cheap but I've saved loads by not buying a phone that requires an expensive data plan, so my monthly expenditure is only £3.33 (£20 for 6months email/BBM/data @50mb a month).
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I've seen several of the new phones in use on my commute now. Of course, this is the UK, where the Blackberry remains very popular. There will be a lot of pent up demand for upgrades.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Internaut
I've seen several of the new phones in use on my commute now. Of course, this is the UK, where the Blackberry remains very popular. There will be a lot of pent up demand for upgrades.
Lady in the local EE (t-mobile) has said to me that the £20 deal would continue if I bought a new one and they would up (possibly, she wasn't 100% certain) the data to 500mb which is interesting.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:57 pm

Fairly well written IMO.

http://www.todaysiphone.com/2013/02/...re-comparison/
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatbaby2
Yeah fairly well written although he's missed the point of the bezel which is used to let you swipe L,R,U and D to access things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.