Reload this Page >

Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by anabolism
I've been happy with my Briggs & Riley 22" for a few years now. It fits in most overhead bins wheels-first, but on some planes (e.g., BA A319, AA 757) it needs to go sideways (won't fit wheels-last either).

Only problem is that I also travel with a computer backpack that gets heavy. I rest the backpack on top of the B&R, which means when dragging it the full weight of the backpack (and some of the weight of the 22") is on my upper arm and side muscles.

So I'm going to try a multi-wheel (e.g., spinner) bag. Turns out B&R doesn't make a 21" or 22", I assume to ensure the bag fits in any overhead bin. I bought the 20" B&R spinner that is wider, but when I got it home I couldn't fit everything that was in the 22" in it. So, I think I'm going to switch to a Victorinox WT 22" dual-castor. The warranty doesn't look as good as B&R, and I'm sorry to leave B&R. I haven't seen the bag in person yet.
To follow up on my own post, I ordered the Victorinox WT 22" dual-castor from eBags. Turns out to be a little (maybe an inch) smaller than my B&R 22", so it is harder to fit everything in, but on the other hand it should fit the right way in the bins on more planes. One surprising downside is that there is no inside pocket, as there is on every other suitcase I've ever tried. if you leave the suitor in, you can turn it around and zip it back in backwards to have an inside pocket, but then you have the extra space of the suitor itself. Surprising.

I took my computer backpack to a luggage repair place to have them sew in a strap to hold it over the handle on the Victorinox (since the bag will be upright instead of at an angle, so it's more likely for the backpack to slide off or get unbalanced).

Originally Posted by conejo23
Mellonc....depends on what you want from your luggage. For years I've done either the large wheeled packing cases or the rolling carry ons. Just took a trip with nothing but a Tom Bihn Tri Star on my back and LOVED the different experience. I never liked dragging around a wheeled case. If you do, then by all means, continue. One isn't right and one wrong, it's about what fits YOUR desired means of travel.
I'd love to be able to travel lighter, but unless I dramatically reduce what I bring, I don't see how. As it is I have trouble fitting everything in the old B&R 22", it's even harder in the new Victrorinox 22". I'm glad some people are able to go lighter and carry everything on their back, but I don't see me capable of that.
Old May 16, 2012, 9:02 pm

got a bit carried away

Originally Posted by Mellonc
. I just saw another Tom Bihn bag right next to my bag taking up literally two spots. It was over packed beyond belief (almost like a ball) and the guy was boasting that it can take so much
I got a bit irritated the other day on Glad Flexforce, Nylon Coduara 1000 Bullet Proof type of bags including the Tom Bihn designs because of what happened during the flight mentioned above..... I was just saying........

I am user of Briggs for for the most part and a few Hartmann (daily office bag) here and there just because they make me feel good to look at the nice leather work.

Briggs does win out on durability. I wish they would design a bag that reach down to either side of the handle bars to increase the depth of its bags. Yeah, the flat packing spot is nice but you can also use the extra space and make them flat by simply building a custom packing cube that fit that space. Look at the bags from Clava. It has a one piece flat liner that covers the entire 3 crevices made by the handle rails (to the right, middle of the bars and to the left). Here is a link to the pic.

http://www.clava.com/catalog/product...ge/420/id/149/

Hartmann is just nice looking. Gotta give it some love to simply looking good... you know......easy on the eye. There is some merit in there somewhere.
Old May 17, 2012, 6:01 pm

I like the B&R best too and notice that even though you loose space with the ouside handle system, B&R just seems better organised so I still seem to get more in them than in similar bags of other brands - I am referring here specifically to rolling computer bags.

Like you I note the flat packing sacs which can level out the spaces created by the handle rails when they are inside the bag and I recall that Targus once had a rolling computer bag called the CURC which came with long-thin packing sacs designed to fit between the handle spaces on the inside.

Originally Posted by Mellonc
Briggs does win out on durability. I wish they would design a bag that reach down to either side of the handle bars to increase the depth of its bags. Yeah, the flat packing spot is nice but you can also use the extra space and make them flat by simply building a custom packing cube that fit that space. Look at the bags from Clava. It has a one piece flat liner that covers the entire 3 crevices made by the handle rails (to the right, middle of the bars and to the left). Here is a link to the pic.

http://www.clava.com/catalog/product...ge/420/id/149/

Hartmann is just nice looking. Gotta give it some love to simply looking good... you know......easy on the eye. There is some merit in there somewhere.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
A year ago, my (just wed) wife and I went out to buy her a new set of luggage. She had seen my Eagle Creek gear and liked it, and liked the guarantee offered, which she hadn't had with luggage before. But when we got to the luggage store and narrowed the options down to EC and B&R Transcend, I had to agree with her that the B&R won out. We both liked the internal layout and features better, and B&R offered a local option where she could take her luggage to get it repaired rather than paying to ship it to the manufacturer.

A year later, after watching her enjoy her luggage, I made the switch away from EC -- I had had my first set from them for almost 10 years, my second set about 3, but the latest luggage had problems. Every piece of EC luggage in my second set had something fail, typically from being ripped off or crushed -- missing nameplates, lost zipper pulls, and the like. It felt like EC's quality had gone down.

I just finished my first big trip with the B&R Transcend luggage and loved it -- lots of room inside, reasonably light for the size, easy to stack for moving through airports. I'm quite happy with the switch.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:26 pm

Agreed on the local repair option. My luggage store is an authorized repair center for both Hartmann and Briggs. He can do just about all repairs locally for Briggs. However, for Hartmann, he has to send it out at your shipping expense and wait for the bags to be turned around. Usually the wait is about a month.

UPS Cost for something like a 22 inch roller bag is more than 35 bucks from where I am. Even when the bag is light enough you get charged "linear inch" rate for big items. I don't even want to know the cost for a 27 inch.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 6:29 am

briggs and riley

Hey guys i was about to purchase a couple briggs and riley bags. I was leaning towards TUMI at first until i ran into this website who changed my mind. I just want to be sure im making a good decision before i commit. You think you could look at this guys advice and let me know if he knows what he is talking about.

http://hmsamarah.nichepage.com/best-luggage-bags

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by zfa32937
Hey guys i was about to purchase a couple briggs and riley bags. I was leaning towards TUMI at first until i ran into this website who changed my mind. I just want to be sure im making a good decision before i commit. You think you could look at this guys advice and let me know if he knows what he is talking about.

Thanks
If you're not going to check your bags, either would be a good choice. But if you prefer to check luggage, I believe the Briggs and Riley is the best bet. I fall into the latter category and have used a Briggs and Riley bags for many years. It's still looks good and has never needed a repair despite having seen more than 100,000 miles of air travel per year. Prior to acquiring a Briggs and Riley bag, I had Victronix luggage which also had a bulletproof warranty. But that bag needed ongoing repairs (blown seams, lost zipper pulls, damaged zipper, damaged wheel axle) and was not a durable as the Briggs and Riley.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:48 am

There's another Tumi luggage sale on gilt.com on Thursday morning.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by zfa32937

Thanks
First thing is to decide what kind and size you want, then determine the best bag for you. Are you looking for carry-on size or larger? Hard or soft? If carry-on, under-seat or bin? If bin only, can you live with a 20" or do you want to push it to 21" or 22"?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
maybe a little late as the sale ends in a few hours but they do seem to repeat their Tumi sales...just bought a continental carry on and I hope its great: http://www.gilt.com/sale/men/tumi-luggage-0856
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:54 pm

At Nordstrom rack today, saw Tumi Vapor, other Tumi and B&R luggage for sale.
The prices were quite good.
It's another place to consider if u want these luggage.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:26 am

yep. That's a good place to find bargains. I make a habit of stopping by about once per month. I take a quick tour through the luggage area, shoes, and mens clothing all in about 5 minutes (unless I find something I want to buy). I hate (physical) shopping for anything but that's a nice place for unexpected bargains.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
TUMI OWNER, as i thought about it, I am a douche traveler...

Originally Posted by palmetto86
i was joking around, but in a way, i think it is a somewhat accurate description. In the u.s. At least, there is a common airport stereotype that i classify as the "douche" business traveler.

I'm certainly not the first person on ft to talk about this type of airport specimen. You can spot them waiting an hour before a flight standing in the first class boarding line with blue-tooth headsets on, suits w/ no ties, first class ticket proudly displayed in shirt pocket, and oftentimes a tumi bag.

While i don't think i fall into this category of tumi bag owners, i do feel like many, many of this "type" carry tumi bags. The bags are expensive, they do look nice, and tacitly say "look at me," so it's easy to understand why the "douche" business traveler is drawn to the brand.
tumi was great before they took the private equity then went piublic in 2004. They were lifetime, you paid about the same as you did not but the fixed it and got it back to you quick. Now it's a nyse business. That's it. I love they way some of them look, but i sent two older ones in (one i hardly used as it required checking in) and they low balled me 100 bucks to but a 600 and 900 bag from them as a replacement. Thhey would not even fix the wheels, that's not a manufacturers defect, it's a airline problem they screwed it up (it'a leather 22" carry on-o never check it). And they want $40 to fix it. That's after paying a $25 fee to have the privaledge of sending it in for me. Swful. B&r or the victonix looks better (a bit mroe hip and rock solid warrenty.) things are going to happen. I will keep the box. Big deal.

I hate hate hate hate hate tumi. I am so mad, they used to be the best, the full package. Now they are making tons of mmoney for their nyse friends and irrritate loyal customers of 20 years. It's pathetic. If you possibly can, go to victonix. Some of them loook pretty good and are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of tumi and will fix breakage for life that the airline does (tumi does this for 1 year only) and 5 years max if the burden of proof (which falls on you) can show that it was a manufacturing warrenty, which after 5 yeras of course it is probably not. Such a shame such a shame.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Originally Posted by rodsren
tumi was great before they took the private equity then went piublic in 2004. They were lifetime, you paid about the same as you did not but the fixed it and got it back to you quick. Now it's a nyse business. That's it. I love they way some of them look, but i sent two older ones in (one i hardly used as it required checking in) and they low balled me 100 bucks to but a 600 and 900 bag from them as a replacement. Thhey would not even fix the wheels, that's not a manufacturers defect, it's a airline problem they screwed it up (it'a leather 22" carry on-o never check it). And they want $40 to fix it. That's after paying a $25 fee to have the privaledge of sending it in for me. Swful. B&r or the victonix looks better (a bit mroe hip and rock solid warrenty.) things are going to happen. I will keep the box. Big deal.

I hate hate hate hate hate tumi. I am so mad, they used to be the best, the full package. Now they are making tons of mmoney for their nyse friends and irrritate loyal customers of 20 years. It's pathetic. If you possibly can, go to victonix. Some of them loook pretty good and are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of tumi and will fix breakage for life that the airline does (tumi does this for 1 year only) and 5 years max if the burden of proof (which falls on you) can show that it was a manufacturing warrenty, which after 5 yeras of course it is probably not. Such a shame such a shame.
I have been traveling with my Tumi stuff for 2 years now, and the only issue I have had is the zipper on 1 bag fell off. I went into my Tumi store and they replaced it no charge. However, I agree it isn't worth the cost. Next time I will look at Victonix or a Briggs.

I am not so much interested in the look, but the ballistic nylon is tough stuff. That is really why I bought it. No leather here!

Oh and I don't have headphones, a paper boarding pass, or a sport coat so hopefully I don't fall in to the douche category!

I do often get upgraded and frustrated with Group 2 folks that crowd the Group 1 line in the United terminal gates
Old May 27, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
TravelPro has problems with their handles for some reason...

Employer gave a new Travelpro bag but after a few trips, the handle starts to feel very shaky. My last bag had the handle come off on a trip.
I have the TravelPro Platinum Magnum. . .I'very comparedo the handle with every luggage brand you can think of except Rimowa and Zero Halliburton and the Platinum Magnum is by far the stiffist and feels the most solid and after about over an year of weekly travel it still feels as strong today as I brought it a year ago.

But the rest of the bag seems to hold up OK, certainly not as sturdy as the handle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.