Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THAI: News

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by brunos
The CX-KA-AC agreement is much larger in scope as it covers codeshares from HKG to Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. AC has daily flights from Vancouver and Toronto to HKG, so it is a natural stopover point. TG cannot compete with such wider codesharing agreements.
Even if the number of Canadian tourists is small, this is another nail in the coffin of the TG North American market. And KA flies to HKT and CNX.
..and HKG is much better located "en route" for trips to Vietnam, Philippines
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
There is an interesting development over at the AC thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rtnership.html

Air Canada will enter into a code share relationship with CX with one of the goals to service the Thai market. My takeaway on this is that Air Canada has given up on trying to work with TG. Previously when AC relied on *A carriers on the Canada-BKK routes, one went through TYO or HKG and paid J class but sat in Y on a connector flight with TG or NH. It looks like AC will move its Thai destination business to its HKG hub and rely on CX. (the ICN route isn't a good option because of the nasty schedule.)

I previously used the HKG route regularly when I was mostly going to HKT. It was a convenient connection, although the equipment was tired and old. My connections to NRT on TG inevitably arived late causing me to run for my connection with my bag often missing the flight.

I see this as a very loud F.U. to TG who have been oblivious to the concerns other *A carriers have had with the carrier. My perception is that CX compared to TG will offer a better schedule, superior service, better quality equipment, more precise on time performance and of course meet saftey concerns. All this to be topped off by a better fare structure and ability to credit Ac with the FF miles. The fares when using TG make the AC route less competitive against AF/KLM and Finnair/BA on Canada Thailand routes. The introduction of codeshares with CX may bring AC fares back in line with the market. It is usually cheaper to purchase a stand alone RT through TG than to use a code share on AC. the best illustration is when using ICN as a connection. The cost difference can be $500- $1000 in J if using code share with TG vs a separate TG ticket.

I offer this up in the news section because;
i. People may not be aware of the new option coming. (AC can offer lower fares to the USA and EU when routing through Canada, than when going direct to the USA or EU.)
ii. It reinfoces the perception that TG is a lost cause, stagnating and slowly lurching to its demise.

I have the impression that Thai is obsessed with the Chinese and Russian markets with the zero baht tours such that it has neglected the profitable western markets. Has TG just given up and realized that it can no longer compete?
TG has just annouced that they will codeshare their all traffics between Thailand and North America with EVA, so I think they never given up these routes.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: TG*G , PR Classic
Originally Posted by joy16
TG has just annouced that they will codeshare their all traffics between Thailand and North America with EVA, so I think they never given up these routes.
i think asiana airline , ANA , also for NA routes code-share
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rolls Royce Bribery Scandal Spreads to Thailand; I'm sure there will be a full inquiry.

Rolls Royce admits bribery in Thailand

LONDON - Jet engine maker Rolls Royce has agreed to pay £671 ($808 million, 28.5 billion baht) to settle bribery and corruption charges brought by authorities in Britain, the US and Brazil.

The case involved admitted bribery in Thailand, but authorities said no Thai complaint was filed, and no details were forthcoming.

But BBC reported on Wednesday that in the Thailand case, Rolls-Royce agreed to pay $18.8 million (663.3 million baht) to "regional intermediaries". The term refers to local companies that handle sales, distribution and maintenance in countries where the British firm does not have enough people on the ground.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...ry-in-thailand

Rolls-Royce apologises after £671m bribery settlement

The SFO revealed 12 counts of conspiracy to corrupt or failure to prevent bribery in seven countries - Indonesia, Thailand, India, Russia, Nigeria, China and Malaysia.

In Thailand, Rolls-Royce agreed to pay $18.8m to regional intermediaries. Some of the money was for individuals who were "agents of the State of Thailand and employees of Thai Airways", the SFO said. These agents "were expected to act in Rolls-Royce's favour with respect to a purchase by Thai Airways of T800 engines".

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38644114
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

THAI launches probe into Rolls-Royce bribery charges

THAI AIRWAYS International (THAI) yesterday decided to set up a committee to probe allegations of bribery in the purchase of engines from British engineering giant Rolls-Royce.

Flight lieutenant Kanok Thong-purk, a THAI executive vice president, said the result of the investigation would be known within 30 days.

Thailand is among seven countries named by the United Kingdom’s Serious Fraud Office (SFO), which found conspiracy to corrupt or failure to prevent bribery by Rolls-Royce, involving payment of US$18.8 million (Bt663 million) to regional intermediaries.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30304422

Ex-THAI staff snared in bribe row

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) and Thai Airways International (THAI) Plc have pledged to examine the case in which British engineering giant Rolls-Royce admitted to bribing agents of the Thai state and employees of THAI to win business.

NACC member Witthaya Arkhompitak told the Bangkok Post the anti-graft agency's foreign affairs office was aware of the issue and it will work with the UK's Serious Fraud Office (SFO) to gather all the information about the case before sending it to the NACC members for examination, Mr Witthaya said.

The statute of limitations on the case has not yet expired, he insisted

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...d-in-bribe-row
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: TG Plat, AF Lifetime Plat , QR plat , SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by transpac
THAI launches probe into Rolls-Royce bribery charges

THAI AIRWAYS International (THAI) yesterday decided to set up a committee to probe allegations of bribery in the purchase of engines from British engineering giant Rolls-Royce.

Flight lieutenant Kanok Thong-purk, a THAI executive vice president, said the result of the investigation would be known within 30 days.

Thailand is among seven countries named by the United Kingdom’s Serious Fraud Office (SFO), which found conspiracy to corrupt or failure to prevent bribery by Rolls-Royce, involving payment of US$18.8 million (Bt663 million) to regional intermediaries.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30304422

Ex-THAI staff snared in bribe row

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) and Thai Airways International (THAI) Plc have pledged to examine the case in which British engineering giant Rolls-Royce admitted to bribing agents of the Thai state and employees of THAI to win business.

NACC member Witthaya Arkhompitak told the Bangkok Post the anti-graft agency's foreign affairs office was aware of the issue and it will work with the UK's Serious Fraud Office (SFO) to gather all the information about the case before sending it to the NACC members for examination, Mr Witthaya said.

The statute of limitations on the case has not yet expired, he insisted

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...d-in-bribe-row
Nothing new here .
Thailand has always been a cesspool of corruption and nothing will ever change .
No moral judgement , just a fact of life .
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

More details in this article on "sausage-making" at TG...nothing will ever come of any inquiries.

"Whenever an order for the purchase of a large fleet of between 20-40 aircraft was approved, all eyes would be on the amount of money changing hands, the source said."

Thai Airways union to press PM for probe

The Thai Airways International (THAI) labour union will next week petition Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to launch an investigation into the national carrier's involvement in the Rolls-Royce bribery scandal.

THAI labour union president Damrong Waiyakanee said the union will ask the prime minister to set up a top-level inquiry to examine who was involved, based on information from the UK's Serious Fraud Office (SFO) which investigated the bribery Rolls-Royce has admitted to.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...s-pm-for-probe
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Lament
Nothing new here .
Thailand has always been a cesspool of corruption and nothing will ever change .
No moral judgement , just a fact of life .
just another lamentation from lament
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is strange that a Thai investigation is only opened now. the SFO started an investigation into Rolls Royce years ago and information leaked about the case in the press. Thailand must have received requests from Britain SFO a long time ago. TG is reluctantly launching an investigation pretending surprise. NACC claims that it is aware of the issue, so why not launch its own investigation a long time ago?
We all know why and an easy guess is that little will come out of it except if there are political targets.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:56 pm
SKL

Unhappy

The three payment periods roughly corresponded to the purchase of 777-200, 777-300 and 777-200ER aircraft respectively.

Thai's A380, later batch of A330, Boeing 787 and A350 use RR engines. Shouldn't these deals also be investigated for transparency? Nah, this will ruffle too many feathers, not doable in the corrupt environment in Thailand.

(The A345 and A346 also use RR Trent engines, but RR engines exclusively power these aircraft.)
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:44 am

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ace-older-jets
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news...orate/30318188

I wonder if they will really get rid of the remaining B747s??

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Jun 26, 2017 at 3:51 am
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
I wonder if they will really get rid of the remaining B747s??
Repetition of the news from some weeks ago...
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
Repetition of the news from some weeks ago...
oh really? If so - then sorry.
I didn't know and haven't been aware of resumption of Vienna operations etc..
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:47 am

Thai Airways told small planes will ease debt

Deputy Transport Minister Pailin Chuchottaworn has urged Thai Airways International Plc (THAI) to procure smaller aircraft to decrease operation and maintenance costs for some of the national carrier's routes, in a bid to decrease its large debt and keep up with emerging low-cost airlines. The deputy minister commented on the airline's financial state after his scheduled policy-giving visit to THAI's headquarters yesterday, as part of a government initiative to decrease the huge debt levels at seven state enterprises.
Rehabilitation plans for transport-affiliated state enterprises include THAI, the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA), which operates Bangkok's public buses, and the State Railway of Thailand (SRT), which operates the country's provincial trains. The three authorities have an estimated combined debt of 200 billion baht. According Mr Pailin, THAI will have to "figure out" how to lower its overall fixed costs in order to succeed with its corporate rehabilitation plans to decrease its accumulated debt. He urged the airline to conduct research into how some low-cost airlines are able to offer full service at cheaper prices and comparatively lower fixed costs. He also instructed THAI to deal with its discharged aircraft, which are awaiting procurement by other airlines. Transport Ministry reports state that for this year, THAI plans to procure 28 more planes to compensate for its discharged aircraft. According to the report, 19 will be used by the national carrier, while the remaining nine will be used by its low-cost subsidiary airline, Thai Smile Air. "Plans for the new planes awaiting procurement should also be reviewed, especially if the type and size of the aircraft are suitable for the routes [they were procured for]," Mr Pailin said. "The carrier must also observe whether its direct competitors are leasing their planes or purchasing them."
Meanwhile, the State Enterprise Policy Office, also known as the superboard, rejected rehabilitation plans submitted by THAI and the BMTA last week. According to its chief Ekniti Nitithanprapas, the national carrier has failed to meet its revenue target despite servicing more passengers than its main competitors. Mr Ekniti last Friday instructed THAI to draw up long-term plans that better reflect competition in the market, adding Thai Smile should also be included.
(published by BKK Post 23Jan18)

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Jan 24, 2018 at 4:54 am Reason: correction
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:23 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Lessons learned by other countries are that government ministers should refrain from trying to be managers of state enterprises. Meddling often ends up with increased state losses as the enterprises lose their ability to govern effectively and efficiently. This could be a good moment for students to monitor, in real time, how one state airline compares and contrasts with its commercial competitors.
andyptrav likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.