Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New upgrade award on Thai and devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:08 am

lingua101,

Agreed on the poor value of Y redemption.

The taxes, fees and particularly the fuel surcharge can easily mean you need a cash payment of half the price of an economy ticket, so the miles only buy you half the "free" ticket and you don't earn any miles on it.

Even in J class the taxes, fees and fuel surcharge can amount to 20- 25% of the price to buy the fare with cash.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by 11277m
lingua101,

Agreed on the poor value of Y redemption.

The taxes, fees and particularly the fuel surcharge can easily mean you need a cash payment of half the price of an economy ticket, so the miles only buy you half the "free" ticket and you don't earn any miles on it.

Even in J class the taxes, fees and fuel surcharge can amount to 20- 25% of the price to buy the fare with cash.
agreed.... now with C class reward is double, righfully TG should not charge any fuel charge anymore.

If this is the case, with the bonus given to Gold/Platinum, that's may be quite decent...
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
burne and change the FFP

up to each ones flyingpattern

flying paid TG eco lets say Q class credit 100% to LM
https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/sta/stathai.aspx
one way Europe to Asia 65k in Business ( and some ...... even cheaper )

flying paid TG premium classes F/A/P 300 % / C/D/J 200 % U/Y/B 150 %

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=de&cid=18002

oneway Business class Europe - BKK 67.5k children and SEN Partners even cheaper
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:29 pm
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Originally Posted by shimura
with the cards issued by AmexThailand - Platinum,Gold and Classic - ,but not with the Amex Royal Orchid Platinum card, you can transfer points to these FFPs:

SQ,MH,CI,OZ,SK,BA,AY,EK

https://www.americanexpress.com/thai...early_2014.pdf

at page 6.
I cannot see OZ. Or I am blind?

Asia Miles is included though.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: QR-G, TK-E , WY-G
Originally Posted by hco
I cannot see OZ. Or I am blind?

Asia Miles is included though.
My bad, thanks for pointing out,already corrected.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:59 pm
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
The night is always darkest before the dawn! Doubling of the redemption rates, while increasing earn rates by significantly less, is a bit of a kick in the teeth, but perhaps the ROP program was too generous for too long? Please don't flame... I'm just throwing the idea on the table!

On the face of it, the 1 Sep 2014 changes to ROP don't look good (in fact, they look really bad) and will be enough, I suspect, for many to switch their business away from TG. However, I'm hopeful there are announcements yet to come and the final implementation of the changes will not be as dire as they seems right now.

Just had a chat to the incredibly helpful person on my local ROP desk and she says:
* GUPs/PUPs will be retained, but not clear yet if there will be any changes;
* Impact on taxes/surcharges still to be confirmed (will they be included?); and
* TG is still finalising the scope of the changes and ironing out some anomalies

For example, presently Aus/BKK/Europe rtn in J costs 170k (both TG and *A award). Under the new scheme, the same flight will cost 340k for a *A award, but around 450k for a TG award (as Aus/BKK and BKK/Eur will be costed as two separate redemption flights).

It's a bit concerning these changes will have the biggest, unfavourable impact on some of the most loyal flyers... but I'm willing to wait a bit and see what transpires.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have no skin in this game, but reading all this I really can't possibly start to understand what has possessed TG ROP to come up with such crazy changes. Increasing redemption rates even in the range that UA did is one thing, effectively doubling them is an entirely different magnitude. The revised earn rates by no means make up for the increases.

It will hurt them for sure in my book as they are really taking the pi*s at their most loyal customers. I would be livid and burn my miles before Sep 2014 and then credit to other *A FFP that suits my travel pattern. YMMV.

Reminds me of the time when SQ had "new Business" and "new First" and KF did not allow saver award redemptions on 77W, A345 and A388 back then effectively doubling redemption cost too. Today you got Saver awards back at half the mileage cost of standard award even though inventory can be spotty.

What will be interesting if TG redemption rates with other *A FFPs will remain as is.

Last edited by demue; Jun 25, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by hgp

For example, presently Aus/BKK/Europe rtn in J costs 170k (both TG and *A award). Under the new scheme, the same flight will cost 340k for a *A award, but around 450k for a TG award (as Aus/BKK and BKK/Eur will be costed as two separate redemption flights).
You are a better person than I! I just reckon they didn't look at the other programs in the region and have been caught with their pants down a bit. I have had no response at all from emails where usually they are pretty good.

Just on the bit bolded above, are you sure this is correct? On the award page it says:

"If Award travel is multi-sector, for example London-Bangkok-Taipei, please consult the THAI mileage table to calculate the total distance in miles to determine the relevant Award Zone. "

So for SYD-BKK-LHR this would be 10,607 miles falls in zone 6 which is 340,000 miles return in business class.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:47 pm
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by travelislife
Just on the bit bolded above, are you sure this is correct? On the award page it says:

"If Award travel is multi-sector, for example London-Bangkok-Taipei, please consult the THAI mileage table to calculate the total distance in miles to determine the relevant Award Zone. "
The ROP person in my local office said multi-sector itins needed to be costed separately AND that this issue had raised this with the BKK team. So based on the above, maybe they have fixed it already such that it's on cumulative mileage and is costed once.

Either way, 340k miles for Aus/Europe rtn in J is still way too much.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by hgp
Agreed 100%.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:43 am

Agreed 100%.
Not too long ago it could be had for less than half that number of miles, IIRC.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by hgp
WAAAAAAAAYYYYY TOO MUCH!!!

Only takes 60K UA Miles for a TG J BKK-SYD and 80K for First - ROUND TRIP!!!!

For 340K, you can do 4 RT in F and still have some left overs using UA Miles.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Quote:

Agreed 100%.

Not too long ago it could be had for less than half that number of miles, IIRC.
It still can be had for half that today. That's what this whole thread is about, the devaluation.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:54 am

It still can be had for half that today. That's what this whole thread is about, the devaluation.
I am aware of the devaluation, my post was poorly worded. I was thinking how much that award might have cost using UA miles before their devaluation, for example.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Quote:

I am aware of the devaluation, my post was poorly worded. I was thinking how much that award might have cost using UA miles before their devaluation, for example.
Oh ok. But I am pretty sure the United rates didn't really change much on these routes we have been discussing. Aus to BKK I don't think at all. BKK to Europe maybe slightly but no way double.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.