Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Disappearing Dom

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:30 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
On the 911 on 7 January there were 4 bottles of Dom for a full F cabin. The Bollinger appeared 35 minutes after take off
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: aeroplan
Another approach to the Dom issue:

On last night's TG 921 from FRA to BKK, some crap called "Lancombe" was served before takeoff!! Ghastly stuff.

I asked the FA about it, and he said the Dom would be out after we got airborne, and it did, but a bit slow about refills, and recommended the other wines available.

Super service and food all the same.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Just finished a roundtrip on TG in F CDG-BKK/BKK-CDG.. outbound TG931 had just 2 bottles of Dom. It was finished very quickly, then the swill came out. The Grande Annee stuff and it wasn't pleasant at all.

The return, similar thing. Dom was out for pre take-off, then switched to the Grande Annee and something else during the flight. I skipped it once the Dom ran out.

I'll write up a TR as soon as I am over the jet-lag. Short version - service was great from all FA's. Ground services in BKK is of course amazing. TG CDG staff are perhaps the most unprofessional bunch of idiots I've ever met. I'll tell all for the TR.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:32 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by TravellinHusker
TG CDG staff are perhaps the most unprofessional bunch of idiots I've ever met.
You would think that even TG would get a professional bunch of idiots
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by TravellinHusker
then the swill came out. The Grande Annee stuff and it wasn't pleasant at all.
Absolutely no need to rub our noses in it, TravellinHusker, the European palate is so attuned to the finest wines as you drink champagne every day whereas in Asia, we are lucky if we can afford it on our restaurant tables. Recently on your airline I was offered Piper Heidsieck, Laurent-Perrier and Mumm, wow I thought I was in heaven. It comes down to the fact that Europeans are a lot wealthier, their tastes are refined so it's natural that it's raison d'etre your airlines would have far superior wines. Calling Bolli swill, if only the BA crowd could hear you, regards bkkrop
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:56 pm

[QUOTE=BKKROP;13160308Calling Bolli swill, if only the BA crowd could hear you[/QUOTE]

Quite right!

And the Bolli is leaps and bounds above the N.V. swill LH serves in F.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by macabus
And the Bolli is leaps and bounds above the N.V. swill LH serves in F.
Is the Bolly the 1999 or the 2000? BA recently switched (in F and the T5 CCR) from the '99 to the 2000. The former is an exceptional wine - a quite different kind of taste from Dom, but a great wine in its own style. The 2000 is a less happy choice.

On two recent F flights in TG, I had no trouble getting Dom throughout, including before take-off. The only mention of an alternative came when I asked initially to see the bottle as I wanted to know what year it was (it was 2000) at which point the FA offered me Bolly if I wasn't happy with the Dom.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Bolly will be just fine for me thanks - not a bad drop at all... However, compared to Dom...?

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Bollinger has some great champagnes. Starting from the NV to the Grande Annee which is terrific. Bollinger Grande Annee retails around the price for Dom - and that's for a reason.

Madame Bollinger's quote on champagne if my personal favourite:

"I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty."
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by SMK77
Bollinger has some great champagnes. Starting from the NV to the Grande Annee which is terrific. Bollinger Grande Annee retails around the price for Dom - and that's for a reason.
Not in London it doesn't. Standard retail prices of GA are around £60 (for the most commonly available vintage - currently the 2000) and for DOM around £90.

Both can of course be had for less, especially if buying six (or sometimes just two) bottles but I've noticed deeper discounts generaly on the GA - often bringing the retail price below £50.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Originally Posted by BKKROP
Absolutely no need to rub our noses in it, TravellinHusker, the European palate is so attuned to the finest wines as you drink champagne every day whereas in Asia, we are lucky if we can afford it on our restaurant tables. Recently on your airline I was offered Piper Heidsieck, Laurent-Perrier and Mumm, wow I thought I was in heaven. It comes down to the fact that Europeans are a lot wealthier, their tastes are refined so it's natural that it's raison d'etre your airlines would have far superior wines. Calling Bolli swill, if only the BA crowd could hear you, regards bkkrop
No nose-rubbing was intended. After 3 or 4 glasses of the fine Dom, being served the Grande Annee was obvious from the first sip. It is much like having a spoonful of sugar followed by a sour red wine vinegar shot. Blecht. If I had started with the Grande Annee, perhaps I wouldn't have been so turned off.

I live in northeast Italy where Prosecco is king. In fact, my favourite, Val d'Oca from Valdobiaddiane runs no more than 10-12 euros a bottle and is much more pleasant to drink than most higher costing champagnes. While I don't want to get into a battle about prosecco vs champagne as they really are quite different, I will say that wealth or refinement has little to do with enjoying a fine glass of bubbly. What pleases your tastebuds is all that matters.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
On last nights TG917 from LHR they came around with champagne before take off and I was pleased to note it was Dom.

When they came around shortly after take off for drinks order I heard the lady in 2F ask for champagne to which the girl taking the order said straight away 'Bollinger is ok ?'. She came to me and I also asked for champagne and she said the same to me. I said I would prefer Dom and she said 'Sorry, only welcome drink'. I pointed out that only Dom is shown in the drinks menu and asked was the 'Dom only for welcome drink' now official. She just smiled...
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
On last nights TG917 from LHR they came around with champagne before take off and I was pleased to note it was Dom.

When they came around shortly after take off for drinks order I heard the lady in 2F ask for champagne to which the girl taking the order said straight away 'Bollinger is ok ?'. She came to me and I also asked for champagne and she said the same to me. I said I would prefer Dom and she said 'Sorry, only welcome drink'. I pointed out that only Dom is shown in the drinks menu and asked was the 'Dom only for welcome drink' now official. She just smiled...
bkkrop... awaiting your comments
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by dazz81
bkkrop... awaiting your comments
Wouldn't know, dazz81, been drinking Krug lately
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Well - you can all rest easy if I'm on one of your flights - I don't like DOM!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.