Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Disappearing Dom

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by BKKROP

Since time began, it's been impossible to cook an egg or toast bread "up there", the toasters on the new A380 cost AU$18000 each, and if you leave the eggs in for a second to long in their cooker, they turn green, or the omelette turns to foam rubber. The poor crew, they do the best they can
I've had fantastic egg dishes in F on LX, OZ and BA, so I know it's possible.

Garbage in, garbage out...
Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by macabus
I've had fantastic egg dishes in F on LX, OZ and BA, so I know it's possible.
On QF i have had poached eggs, TG/CX/SQ do a great noodle breakfast, doubt if I would like LX or BA to make up that for me My friend handles F on the 380 and tells me he has mastered the fried eggs on the sandwich press. He buys 4 packets of corn flakes before each flight, amazing how many people just want corn flakes and fried eggs on toast. Enjoy the festive break macabus.

Last edited by BKKROP; Dec 23, 2009 at 6:33 pm
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NoY
...past performance is not a guarantee of future success..with TG...but hopefully this will not be the case Thursday! Do let us know....
Typing from the Royal First lounge after a heavenly massage... It was indeed DOM and I'm still tipsy from its free flowing (or maybe it was the massage ). I can't drink as much as you Pros, but I believe I got very close to 2 bottles.

Just to know, who was here either yesterday or today reading and/or posting in this thread? I started typing flyertalk and this thread was in the browser history! Spooky! Merry X'mas! Off to HKG soon.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:28 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
To/from PVG it was only Bollinger. I asked the FA and she said they only serve Bollinger now on Asian routes, and Dom on European routes. I also asked about the caviar and she said basically the same - only on European routes, but that it should also be on the Australia route.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:00 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by A_Lee
To/from PVG it was only Bollinger. I asked the FA and she said they only serve Bollinger now on Asian routes, and Dom on European routes. I also asked about the caviar and she said basically the same - only on European routes, but that it should also be on the Australia route.
^That sounds like good news for me - flying LHR:BKK in 10 days time and working up a thirst already
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:45 am

I just reread what I posted and worry that I wasn't very clear. What the FA said was that Bollinger is the only champagne served on the Asian routes, and the Dom is served on the European routes. That doesn't mean that Dom is the only champagne served on European routes.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:10 pm

Hi A_Lee, seems to be correct Bolli on the regionals but heaps of Dom on the Internationals, I certainly can deny this post heading , It's not disappearing, over the silly season they have been pouring bottle after bottle
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:46 am

Programs: BA*G
I confirm DOM is on the BKK - SYD route, I finished off a bottle today.

Caviar is also plentiful, finished off the tin, being the only passenger in F helps, the service was excellent, I guess the FAs love it too when they only have one to look after in F. But this can't be healthy, C was also empty... I don't want F to dissapear from the SYD route again!

As mentioned the truffle camembert is also back. I love it.

Today's flight more made up the for the missing DOM on my LHR leg a few weeks ago...
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by AirCash
Caviar is also plentiful, finished off the tin, being the only passenger in F helps, the service was excellent, I guess the FAs love it too when they only have one to look after in F.
Hmmm, a whole tin of caviar. I'm booked on the the night flight from SYD to BKK that stops in BNE. Was thinking about changing it, but the thought of having a whole tin to myself if nobody else wants on the night flight is very tempting. Maybe I'll just stay put with the flight I've got.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
It's not disappearing, over the silly season they have been pouring bottle after bottle
Great! Let's hope it keeps flowing consistently well into 2010 and beyond!

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:51 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Well some of you have been very lucky with the Dom. On the lunchtime flight from Heathrow last Sunday (27th) Dom was served pre-takeoff and the bottle was brought out after takeoff. However, it was finished within one glass being poured and something unidentified replaced it.

I noticed that the FAs were very careful to ensure that the label was covered by the napkin. As if you could mistake an ordinary bottle for a Dom bottle. I asked one of the FAs and she told me that they only had one bottle loaded.

Also the catering left a lot to be desired. By the time they got to me in there were only 2 of the 4 main course choices left, neither of which I wanted. I took the deep fried prawns with rice and, frankly, it looked and tasted exactly the same as the sweet & sour prawns from my local takeaway.

I have started writing a trip report which is provisionally titled "LHR - BKK in Economy First".

I'm on tonight's flight to Heathrow so we'll see if TG can do anything to redeem themselves on the Champers and catering front.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by BobBHX
Well some of you have been very lucky with the Dom. On the lunchtime flight from Heathrow last Sunday (27th) Dom was served pre-takeoff and the bottle was brought out after takeoff. However, it was finished within one glass being poured and something unidentified replaced it.

That would be the Grand Annee, it doesn't have the dry clean crisp taste which is obviously to your palate's liking, I think it's the pinot power that distorts it. Personally as we usually get this on the HKG flights, I have grown to like it or put up with it at least, but I agree it is a problem for them as the taste can vary so much depending on when it is disgorged. The previous batch from 85 was superb, this lot is 99 and the variance is not so subtle. Going home, do try the KING's own recipe for the trout, wrapped in the thinest pancetta, it was superb, everyone said so. I ordered it then realised I didn't like trout only a dumb Aussie would do that, but did you love the scallops, I went back for seconds there and the other King's speciality that superb light cake at the end, wow, went down very nicely with the benedictine. Had to smile about your local takeaway, that's what I love about Europe, can't wait to get back there, regards bkkrop
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Further to post #56, Saturday night's BKK - LHR was a lot better. On boarding, one of the FAs asked what I would like to drink. I asked for Dom and then asked her how many bottles were loaded. She smiled at the question - obviously she's had experience of complaints when Dom ran out. She told me there were 3 bottles available. Turned out to be more than enough as out of 9 pax, 3 were children and 2 of the adults went to sleep straight after take off.

OT - TG should put departure screens in the F lounge. At 23:30 (for an 00:15 departure) I asked when boarding would start and was told "5 - 10 minutes". I also asked if the flight was on time and was told yes. I was given exactly the same story 3 more times until eventually the supervisor admitted that there was a delay on the flight due to the LHR curfew. Perfectly reasonable but we should have been told. One of the FAs told me that they had called the lounge to advise them of the delay and asked that an announcement be made (which wasn't). Had I been told the truth (rather than what the lounge staff thought I wanted to hear) then I could have relaxed more. Rant over, thank you for your patience.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I certainly can deny this post heading , It's not disappearing,
Originally Posted by BobBHX
I noticed that the FAs were very careful to ensure that the label was covered by the napkin. As if you could mistake an ordinary bottle for a Dom bottle. I asked one of the FAs and she told me that they only had one bottle loaded.

Nice to see we start the year were we left off : Head in sand, fingers in ears, La La La La La.

Love it. ^
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:43 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer

Nice to see we start the year were we left off : Head in sand, fingers in ears, La La La La La.

Love it. ^
I don't think that will never change Man Flyer ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.