FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
So glad I found this thread as I am getting this to (in the UK) - only when using IE, and only when logged in to my account. Both home and work PCs, and bother have been scanned with different up to date software and reveal no viruses on my machine.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:54 am

I get it (1) only when on IE, not Chrome; (2) whether signed in or not, makes no difference; and (3) when clicking on several FT forums, including this one and including OMNI, also the "Dining" forum in "Travel & Dining."

So for me, the two consistent factors are IE browser and FT website.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:41 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I get it:

Only on IE
Only when I'm clicking on the "Americas-USA" forum

When I click the Back Button, it asks me if I really want to go there without cleaning my computer, I tell it OK, and I surf like normal.

Seems to come up just once a day for me.

Might have fallen for it but for the bad grammer.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Suffered from the not able to connect with facebook issue and tried IE to see if it would help. Immediately got this issue - so second on not happening on chrome, only on IE.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Tech2
Suffered from the not able to connect with facebook issue and tried IE to see if it would help. Immediately got this issue - so second on not happening on chrome, only on IE.
Still happening this week, still only on IE, not chrome.

Any chance of IBB getting this fixed?

I am not used to having FT be such a chancy destination.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I received it this morning again. I typed flyertalk.com & the home page came up/didn't have time to log in to my flyertalk before the virus screen came up.

I'm on IE.

Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS
Had the virus warning twice in the past week on IE when browsing the Alaska Airlines forum.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Ditto - IE browser and FT website. Houston we have a problem.

Kill IE from the Task Manager when the message appears.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:57 pm

Had this problem again today again using flyertalk.com/forums (IE)stored in my bookmarks. I have not had the virus alert going forum to forum.

I dont even see the Flyertalk banner load and I get the virus alert. The screen comes up white with the alert - no ads were clicked. It looks exactly like the pic I posted earlier in the thread. (I dont know how to do a full screenshot. Sorry.)

Today the address in the bar is some place . pl again. I tried right clicking and nothing happens so could no provide you the page source info requested.

Task Manager used to close the page. Task manager actually shows Flyertalk running and the IE page with virus alert running although I dont actually have a visible page of Flyertalk.

Ran malware and virus protection software. Always comes up clean.

Must say this is getting annoying. Makes me have second thoughts when I think about coming here - dont want to risk a virus/trojan etc.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I've had it too - on travelbuzz and BAEC. I'm another IE user
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Me too. First at the weekend (can't remember exactly what I clicked on, but I was logged in). Recognised it for what it was, ctrl+alt+escaped out of it. Ran full scan on computer - nothing.

All fine until 10 minutes ago - not logged in, it popped up when I clicked on a thread in the BA forum from the front page. I'm using IE and Vista. Came here to report it, and found this thread...

Often browse FT on iPhone, and have not had anything similar. Nothing similar on other sites.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Seems IE is much of the problem.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:08 pm

Just happened again when I went from the home page to the forums page. The culprit in my case appears to be: http://lowanalysisthreat.pl/o1y0bx4o...84cb2/pr2/196/
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
I also have this problem.

I am extremely concerned. My anti-virus software kicks me off the entire site with big alert messages.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
I only ever experience it on the Executive Club, although most of my time is spent there.

Has a corrupt moderator added viruses to the site, or is it some dodgy advertisement?

I am hoping an over protective anti-virus software is to blame, but I don't know what to do!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.