Wiki Posts
Search

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by dioxide45
The problem is that shutting down the ads really won't help to solve the problem.
If an ad is the source of the problems, then shutting the ads off CERTAINLY would solve the problem.

IB seems very reluctant to do anything that will cost them any money. Heck there are many folks from their TopFlyer contest that finished at the end of last year who still haven't been given their small prizes. Amazingly bad form for a company that relies on its members to thrive.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Flyertal Website Security Threat

Over the past few days my Internet Security has picked up and blocked a number of security threats. From the information available these appear to be emanating from Poland. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Yes, just had AVG block one (and only opened FT - nothing else is open on the PC - using Explorer

Have taken a screenprint if someone needs it
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I have had it a few times when just opening the FT site.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:26 am

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
I, too, have been redirected to "Fake AV sites" for the last couple of days and thought there was a virus on my computer until I found this thread.

I just got a redirect and noticed something different: In previous instances, I was redirected to another website entirely without control. Just now, a pop up occurred that informed me that I had viruses on my computer and I should scan my computer, yes or no? Not sure if I did the right thing or not, but I just x'ed out the box and resumed.

Perhaps something in the offending ad has changed?

Also, is it an ad that's causing this issue? I only get the redirect when initially coming to FT. But once on FT, it doesn't matter how many pages I go through, I don't see the issue again. If a particular ad is an issue, wouldn't I get redirects on multiple occasions rather than just the initial connect?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:12 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by username
For those who get the Norton warning, does it happen when the false virum message pops up on IE? Or, Norton comes up when you actually click a button inside the message's dialogue box?

Thanks.
The warning pops up when you open an FT page. In my case regularly on the FT BA page. I get it for no other site I visit. It is an FT imbedded asdvert.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:09 am

Had the same fake AV message again today.

Disappointing that it is taking flyertalk so long to locate and block the offending add provider.

This has been going on for over a week. How long do they need...?

Seems to me that this isn't being addressed as a priority and that security isn't high on their agendas.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:52 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Getting this daily now...

Today's redirected link was
/on-linetestertrojans.pl/jnv7wqpr/al/78dee9e271084cb2/pr2/196/
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
This is getting pretty annoying. I seem to get this pretty consistently every morning when I first hit the FT web site. Happens immediately and I always go to flyertalk.com/forum first and not just flyertalk.com.

If this is happening on other web sites then I havent hit any of them......only seems to be affecting FT so far for me.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Add me to the list. Several times when visiting FT over the last week or so.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: Onepass Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Starwood
The Flyertalk people just don't seem interested in fixing this. I wonder how many people have been scammed by the fake virus alert so far. Gonna stop visting Flyertalk for awhile.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I get it everytime I go to FT when signed out.

When signed in, it does not happen,
because I am paying for the ad-free FT.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If an ad is the source of the problems, then shutting the ads off CERTAINLY would solve the problem.

IB seems very reluctant to do anything that will cost them any money. Heck there are many folks from their TopFlyer contest that finished at the end of last year who still haven't been given their small prizes. Amazingly bad form for a company that relies on its members to thrive.
Sure it would solve the problem, UNTIL they turned the ads back on. With the ads off, finding the problem ad will be more difficult.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by dioxide45
Sure it would solve the problem, UNTIL they turned the ads back on. With the ads off, finding the problem ad will be more difficult.
I think you're missing the point.

The ads can be turned off for all users EXCEPT for IB staff that are investigating the problem.

Gives them a little more "encouragement" to find the issue faster too, since it's impacting their bottom line.

Many people have reported in this thread that it's only happening 1x per day. So for their testing purposes, they'd basically need to do this:
1) Launch browser
2) If you get the bogus message, investigate
3) If you do not, close the browser, clear all cookies, go back to step 1.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:22 pm

Why does everyone think the problem is caused by the site advertisements?

I've have tried running the MVPS/PGL host files and I am still getting the redirects - this should be strong evidence there is some flaw in vBulletin/vBSEO which has been exploited.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 28, 2012 at 5:13 pm Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.