Reload this Page >

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:27 am

Having done a bit more digging, there seems to be a common theme with these spyware directs and vBSEO (which according to the bottom of the page, this site uses) -

http://www.vbseo.com/blogs/rafael-be...w-prevent-361/

and

http://www.vbseo.com/f255/hacked-url...5/index10.html
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:44 am

avg has just blocked a virus as soon as i open up flyer talk
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:22 pm

Got another virus alert today......
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Is anyone at IBB taking any action on this yet?

The source is clearly FT and its ad rotation.

The problem clearly affects IE, which is what most lounges have for guests to use on the lounge computers.

Browsing to FT on a lounge computer results in this malware alert, which stimulates the lounge computer security to react, which usually results in making the lounge computer useless.

Therefore FT is the source of making it impossible to use lounge computers.

Please, please, is anyone at IBB taking any action, and if so, can we have some status updates?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:46 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Exclamation

Hi again,

We realize this is a large issue. We are taking constant action to try to resolve it as soon as possible. I have been engaging on a daily basis in this thread, and merging new threads here, as well as responding to Contact Us requests in kind.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19008579-post119.html for the most recent information we have.

I will update as soon as I have anything new to share.

Thank you,

Paul
Community Manager
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
I posted this in the Technology Forum earlier, but noticed it's been well voiced on here. So why so long in tracking the threat down and removing the offending advertising, or other cause?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've had the same virus warning from my Norton Symantic 360 for the last four out of five days or nights that I've clicked to get to FT, with the most recent being early this morning. Each time, Norton blocked and removed two immediate threats, but that leaves a blank page on my screen with the option to either use the "cleaner" to remove the fraudulent threat, or cancel which gets me to my initial Windows icon page. If I just try to close the blank page at the top right, it just pops up the same box offering to get rid of the threat.

Noticed that the threat arrives with two different URL's, but both of them end with the same ".pl", so I'm surprised that IB can do nothing to track and stop the threats.

Just to be safe I do a complete scan of my system after Norton blocks the threat, and nothing shows up, so it appears to have been successfully blocked, but I'm not happy about the threat, even moreso if it's coming from FT.

bj-21.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:17 pm

I just had this same virus warning show up on MyFitnessPal. They also use AdChoices for their ad delivery.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH-S WS-G
I just got it again i noticed the same add appearing for some sort of discount hotel website before the "warning".
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I just got the warning again. It happens only on FT. I came to this thread and I see these ads at the bottom of the thread. Makes me wonder if FT is intentionally causing these "issues"

How to Remove Malware
Remove all Traces of Malware Fast
Follow These 3 Steps Immediately!
speedmaxpc.com

Norton Antivirus™ 2012
Stronger Antivirus Protection.
Official US website. Download now!
www.Norton.com
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:29 pm

It happened to me twice last week, IE and Flyer Talk. Had to shut down my computer to get out of it. Sure hope it didn't leave me with a virus. Normally I use a Mac but switch to a small p.c. for personal stuff when on the road.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I have had it five times in the last seven days.

Each time was an FlyerTalk.

I have a Warranty (Hardware and Software) with Dell and each time it took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and they tell me fixed it.

Its on a different window right now.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jim77401
I have had it five times in the last seven days.

Each time was an FlyerTalk.

I have a Warranty (Hardware and Software) with Dell and each time it took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and they tell me fixed it.

Its on a different window right now.
What are they having to fix each time that takes so long? This is easy to get around, just don't click on any buttons. Open task manager and "kill" the Internet Explorer application. If you are clicking the OK or Cancel buttons in the popup each time, I would have hoped you would have figured out by the fifth time that that isn't the thing to do?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by IBobi
We realize this is a large issue. We are taking constant action to try to resolve it as soon as possible.
You possess the technical capability to shut off all ads until this is resolved. Why are you not employing that option?

How many tens of thousands of pageviews with ads have there been in the week since this has been reported?

Has anyone from IB been able to reproduce the problem?

What additional information can the FT community provide to help you isolate this faster?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
You possess the technical capability to shut off all ads until this is resolved. Why are you not employing that option?

How many tens of thousands of pageviews with ads have there been in the week since this has been reported?

Has anyone from IB been able to reproduce the problem?

What additional information can the FT community provide to help you isolate this faster?
The problem is that shutting down the ads really won't help to solve the problem. They can't find the offending ad if the feeds are turned off. I suspect shutting down the ads would also prove to be costly.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by dioxide45
The problem is that shutting down the ads really won't help to solve the problem. They can't find the offending ad if the feeds are turned off.
They can take the ads offline for users, while they investigate on private pages that still serve up ads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.