Wiki Posts
Search

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by IBobi
One way to avoid it is to switch browsers to Chrome or Firefox.
If IB disabled the ads until they finally figure this out, then you'd stopping freaking out the poor folk who are getting these alerts.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by Wilbur
I am also getting the MSE look-alike virus warning, but only with IE, not chrome.
I had a popup like that with chrome. Also flyertalk seems to freeze and hang just in last week or so which it never did before. I have all ads blocked normally.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by robnsfla
Very disappointed in flyertalk....the malware took over my computer last week and it blocked all internet access...it wanted 80 dollars with a visa or mastercard....luckily I had 2 users on the computer and only I was blocked so i downloaded on the other user Malwarebytes and it took 2 hours to clean my computer.....it had loaded the malware Live Platinum Security....now when I go back to flyertalk the pop up still appears ....your competer is infected...whether you click yes or no...it will relaunch the malware....all I can do is unplug the internet connection and reboot the computer.....can anyone explain the association of this malware to flyertalk....??????
Don't click on any buttons, you can click the X in the upper corner, but that doesn't help either. You need to open task manager and end the Internet Explorer task/application.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: Skymiles, Mileage Plus, Priorty Club, Hilton HHonors
This is not a flyertalk problem. I have been getting these fake virus warnings for about a week now. I have had them on the Game Show network. gsn.com, and I have had them on facebook. They have to be coming from advertisements. I just did a new install of Windows XP and all the paches with a new copy of AVG and I still get them. I'm going to have to start browsing with my linux box.
I like to play jacks or better poker on gsn.com and the only thing that changes when I'm playing is the advertisements
on the side bar. I can be playing for 30 min on the same page and get this when the advertisements change.

It is not Flyertalk.
Twobyte

Last edited by twobyte; Jul 26, 2012 at 6:43 pm
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Member

It IS Flyertalk ads. I (and dozens of others who have reported here) have not gotten it from any other site. It is some ad they are accepting on FT, which is running a script which takes over the entire page.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Merged a thread with the existing one on this issue to avoid messaging duplication.

We're working to determine which ad is causing this messaging to occur. This kind of advertising is *not* approved by FT, and will immediately be blocked when it is located. Meanwhile, be assured that despite the message it shows you, you do not have a virus (from this) and FT is not infected. This is an advertisement that appears to be exploiting a hole in Internet Explorer to show a false virus alert.

I'll update as soon as I have new information; thank you for hanging in there with us while we resolve this.

Paul
I just got rid of IE and got Google Chrome. I don't know why I didn't get that browser before now. All I know is I have been surfing different sites and no popups. I assume that will also take care of the issue of the false virus noticed on FT. I will keep you posted.

By the way, IE sucks and Google Chrome rocks (so far).
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Djlawman
It IS Flyertalk ads. I (and dozens of others who have reported here) have not gotten it from any other site. It is some ad they are accepting on FT, which is running a script which takes over the entire page.
+1 - It is ABSOLUTELY flyertalk. I work in the industry, and I do not have this problem anywhere else. It is very, very concerning and shows a severe lack of security on the flyertalk site.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by dioxide45
Don't click on any buttons, you can click the X in the upper corner, but that doesn't help either. You need to open task manager and end the Internet Explorer task/application.
Actually Ctrl-W closes the window(s) with no problem. But no, don't push any buttons!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:37 pm
FSU

I am extremely annoyed the way FlyerTalk is handling this problem. This has been going on for almost a week, and I have seen no mention of it except in this forum. No warnings or explanations on the home page or any of the other forum pages. I am assuming this is causing great concern to many members who don't come to this thread. A recommendation to switch browsers is not enough. I sincerely hope that the administrators come up with a solution or at least a warning to other members.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by FSU
I am extremely annoyed the way FlyerTalk is handling this problem. This has been going on for almost a week, and I have seen no mention of it except in this forum. No warnings or explanations on the home page or any of the other forum pages. I am assuming this is causing great concern to many members who don't come to this thread. A recommendation to switch browsers is not enough. I sincerely hope that the administrators come up with a solution or at least a warning to other members.
Agreed. If they can post a sticky in all forums when they want us to vote on some meaningless poll somewhere, they can certainly do it for something like this.

Also, there have been multiple suggestions that they shut down individual ad providers for a day or two in an effort to identify the source. That seems like a reasonable option.

Or they can do a better job of collecting data from the people that are reporting it so that they can work to identify the ad faster. If nothing else, that would make it look more like they were actively investigating
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who get the Norton warning, does it happen when the false virum message pops up on IE? Or, Norton comes up when you actually click a button inside the message's dialogue box?

Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:54 am

Programs: not a lot

Paul
Could you not turn off adverts for all users instead? Then for some test users leave ad's on and disable the feeds one at a time until you work out the offending provider.

Once it's identified turn adverts back on.

I have been forced into manually blocking all adverts from your site currently which I do not like doing as I realise you get paid based on users taking products via the links and I like to try and do my bit to help.

I'm amazed at the lack of updates to this serious problem here TBH.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:56 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by LiviLion
For anyone on ie9 if you install the tracking protection list from here:http://www.privacychoice.org/trackerblock/ie9

Then it will block most ads. Not sure if you are allowed to block ads here or not but I didn't ask for them to redirect me to dodgy websites either.
For anyone new to this thread using IE9 then you can use the above link to block the ad's, not just for this site but for the majority of sites. Once the problem is rectified you can turn it off
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:49 am

Hi everyone,

Once again, there is *no* malware on FlyerTalk.

We are working to determine which advertisement is causing this messaging to occur.

This kind of advertising is *not* approved by FT, and will immediately be blocked when it is located. Meanwhile, be assured that despite the message it shows you, you do not have a virus (from this) and FT is not infected. This is an advertisement that appears to be exploiting a hole in *Internet Explorer* to show a *false* virus alert.

I'll update as soon as I have new information; thank you for your continued patience while we work to block this ad.

Paul
All due respect Paul, there clearly IS malware on FlyerTalk, or at very least, something behaving like malware to scare users into action.

Now, you may not have approved it, you may not appreciate it, you may not want it here, but it's here, and it's coming in from an ad on your site.

Therefore, it IS "your problem."

I would hope you and your team would address this issue head-on and notify your community about this - which just impacted me a few minutes ago! - by prominently displaying a warning about this issue until you are 100% certain it has been resolved and the offending ad removed from circulation by the vendor supplying your ads.

Otherwise, you're going to rapidly lose credibility with your users.

Just my $0.02 worth, of course...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:08 am

Hi

Just my two pennies worth here...

But I too have been getting redirects to several Polish websites (http://urlquery.net/report.php?id=105702) with fake Microsoft Security Essentials alerts. This is happening only when I try to access FlyerTalk.com via the address bar autocomplete history or via a Google search.

At first I believed I was infected with some form of malware, but after extensive testing and experiencing the problem on two seperate computers, it is now clear that for some reason it is coming from FlyerTalk.com. I have asked some IT experts if they can figure on exactly why this is happening, so will post on here any information I get.

For the admins: Do you have any advertisers located in Poland/Turkey that could have implemented some malicious script into your site? The IP address everything seems to be originating from is 31.210.109.37. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.