Search

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've encountered it as well.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:55 pm

Second time I have got this warning when opening my bookmark to Flyertalk Forums.

(Hopefully the pic posts.... I really have no clue)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:00 pm

It has happened again, just now. This time the address was changed to (partial listing, to avoid the hyperlink), "http://" followed by the words

utilitywarderdefender.pl \

followed by numbers.

Interesting thing, however, about the numbers in the string. From "/ss/" on--i.e., "/ss/78dee9e271084" (etc.), the numbers are identical as to what they were before.

I.e., what changes now in the address bar are, first, the words, "utilitywarderdefender," and secondly, the numbers following those words, up to the "/ss/--etc," at which point the numbers are the same as in the earlier hyperlink.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:03 pm

[deleted]
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Polar Man
Twice in the last two days while using FT i have had a pop up appear. It is designed to make it look like MS security essentials notice.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Braybuddy/MS.jpg
Yes I keep getting "Norton has blocked an attack" - seems to have a PL domain - Poland?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA MP 1P
So is flyertalk going to do something about this? I'm pretty sure its a rogue banner ad script. They need to alert whoever provides their banner ads that there is a bogus ad causing malware popups. Looks like doubleclick.net to me.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:16 pm

Would that cause the screen to freeze? I have to turn my laptop off whenever the pop-up appears, as nothing works any longer, can't even exit the screen with Ctrl Alt Del.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LTP;Marriott Platinum
I'm getting the same thing on two computers. Both running IE on Win7 and as with others only when I visit FT.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:49 pm
Original Member

I'm at least able to run task manager and then close out the IE windows which are causing the problems.

Running Windows 7
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Just happened to me as well.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have encountered too. It seems to me that this happens if my mouse is in the wrong place at the wrong time. It seems the mouse triggers some action which brings up the site. This always happens when the page is loading.

No log entries in Norton.

What is one supposed to do and not do when this happens? I guess clicking that OK on the dialogue box would be a bad idea, right?

Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by username
I have encountered too. It seems to me that this happens if my mouse is in the wrong place at the wrong time. It seems the mouse triggers some action which brings up the site. This always happens when the page is loading.

What is one supposed to do and not do when this happens? I guess clicking that OK on the dialogue box would be a bad idea, right?

Thanks.
Definitely never click on the OK. Best thing to do is to go into task manager and shut down the window.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am now getting jetcomp.exe Application errors. Running NAV full scan now but I almost thinkg Norton might not know anything about this...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:13 am

Just happened again. Anyone know how to make this thing stop?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry

Thanks.
I am now getting jetcomp.exe Application errors. Running NAV full scan now but I almost thinkg Norton might not know anything about this...
I think the best thing to do is to disconnect from the network before you click on anything. Then close the window before restarting the network (personnally, I also run a quick scan wth Norton before reconnecting). Clicking on OK while connected to the network will almost surely result in an attempt to install a virus or trojan on you computer.

I do get a log entry in Norton for every one of these and I get a pop-up alert saying it stopped an attack. Even posted a couple of partial log entires earlier in the thread. Every scan I have run for this problem has come back clean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.