Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Paris - Vendôme, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Paris - Vendôme, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:36 am
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
Originally Posted by daveland
But how did the Jr Suite compare to a standard room? The OP is judging whether it's worth a measly 2,500 extra points a night to be in a Jr Suite over a standard room. I've never stayed in this particular hotel, but generally find the Jr Suite awards to be very good value in Europe. There's usually a substantial difference in room rate over the standard room which you are getting for a very small incremental increase in points.
I don't know what a standard room is like, but the jr. suite (both times) was underwhelming as far as decor and they were both run-down. However, I know the hotel was going through major renovations so I don't know how the rooms are now. Space wise, they were good. I still prefer the Prince de Galles and would use the points for that hotel if there is availability. Didn't mean to be unclear.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 5:26 pm

Programs: QF Plat LTG, UA2mm, Marriott LTP
I have a 5-day stay booked at Westin Paris in 2008, using points, and I'm a plat.
How did you book a suite? I can't find that choice on spg.com.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 5:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by zero savings
...How did you book a suite? I can't find that choice on spg.com.
Call the nearest Starwood Preferred Guest Customer Contact Center. Suites and other upgrade awards can't be booked online.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 27, 2007, 7:05 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Call the nearest Starwood Preferred Guest Customer Contact Center. Suites and other upgrade awards can't be booked online.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Even better, from SPG.com on the booking page with rooms and rates, click the box that says "More Starpoints Redemption Options" and then click the "Book by Phone" button. Type in your number and Starwood calls you. I find that I never wait on hold nor do I have to waste time speaking my SPG number ahead of time going this route.

(But let's keep it between you, me, and FT lest it become too busy ;-) )
Old Dec 27, 2007, 7:07 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Of course, Starwood Lurker's advice is absolutely correct. Whenever I am booking an award room and don't want to chance not getting a suite, (or any upgrade for that matter) I call the Platinum line and see what they have for additional points. Usually it works and is worth it.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
With more than 2 in a room, go for the upgrade. If the room is not satisfactory, ask for another configuration. I don't think the "20 Euro Trick" works at this property.

PS - Also one of the many who booked a Jr. Suite at the PDG pre-devaluation for a measly extra 2k points - but be careful! Exactly 9 months after that stay, we have a beautiful new baby girl.

YMMV!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
Thanks to the OP for this tip. I just upgraded a an award reservation at the Palace in Madrid to a Junior Suite...paying 87000 points for 7 nights confirmed in a Junior Suite, I think this is great value especially at a property where it seems difficult to get upgraded. The Jr suite is offered for €505 per night when I am travelling, which works out to nearly $800 after taxes and currency conversion.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally Posted by daveland
Even better, from SPG.com on the booking page with rooms and rates, click the box that says "More Starpoints Redemption Options" and then click the "Book by Phone" button. Type in your number and Starwood calls you. I find that I never wait on hold nor do I have to waste time speaking my SPG number ahead of time going this route.

(But let's keep it between you, me, and FT lest it become too busy ;-) )
Great little trick!^ Perfect for when I need to call Platinum from outside the US and I don't know what number to call. Also, keeps you from having to pay the $$$$ to make an outgoing call from a hotel.

Onedog
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:39 am

We too are thinking of staying at the Paris Westin and a Jr. Suite is an option we are looking at. I do have a few questions. At this time, no non-smoking suites are available. Can anyone give some feedback on the smoking rooms? Are they bearable? Do they have windows?
Also, the suite has a double bed; do most suites have double beds? Seem strange for a suite to have a double bed?
And finally, how many different configurations are there with the Jr. Suites?

Thanks in advance,

Hfactor
Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:12 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump

PS - Also one of the many who booked a Jr. Suite at the PDG pre-devaluation for a measly extra 2k points - but be careful! Exactly 9 months after that stay, we have a beautiful new baby girl.

YMMV!
Wow - and you're not even Platinum! Sure as hell beats 500 Starpoints!

Congratulations
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:31 pm

Any updates on this hotel? I'm going with my wife and two kids (21 and 17) this coming March. I have two rooms reserved with points at Le Meridien Etoile but I'm considering changing the reservation to this hotel due to location. All the reviews I read about both properties seem mixed. I'm not sure the extra 8K points/day (20,000 vs 12,000/day) are really worth it. We probably won't be in the room that much and the club breakfast sounds better at the Le Meridien.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:42 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat & CK, SPG Plat, UA Exec Premier
I stayed here about 9 or 10 times in 2007 for work and pleasure and just checked out today for my first stay in 2008. I have been coming to this property since it changed over to a Starwood so by this point most of the staff (reception and concierge) knows me. Everyone has always been extremely warm, friendly and accommodating. I have always been upgraded except when I check in early and tell them I don't care what room they give me. I have stayed in fairly small rooms, however, nicely appointed all the way up to a one bedroom suite overlooking the Gardens, Eifel Tower and the Louvre with a multiple room bathroom! Today, I checked out of a Junior Suite with sitting area and very large bathroom...upgraded because of my status with the new decor which was nice. Also, when I know I will be checking in early, I usually call the day before and speak to the manager and request it. It cannot be guaranteed, but I have never waited more than 30 minutes for a room. Yesterday I checked in at around 10am and given a room immediately. The manager mentioned that they were not full the night before so it was not a problem.

This hotel, especially during the weekday is usually heavily booked. In November I checked in on a Wednesday and was told that there were 15 other Platinums checking in as well as 40 or so Golds, just on that day and there was only one upgrade to give out for the Platinum guests because everything is so booked.

As I mentioned before, I have always encountered the reception staff and the concierge to be nothing but respectful and most professional. If I am staying at a Starwood property in Paris, this is my first choice followed by the Prince de Galles. I have never stayed at the LeMeridien's, but my colleagues have said they are not very nice properties and refuse to return for various reasons.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:49 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, LH Senator, UA Premier Executive, RG Diamante
Originally Posted by emuyshondt
Any updates on this hotel? I'm going with my wife and two kids (21 and 17) this coming March. I have two rooms reserved with points at Le Meridien Etoile but I'm considering changing the reservation to this hotel due to location. All the reviews I read about both properties seem mixed. I'm not sure the extra 8K points/day (20,000 vs 12,000/day) are really worth it. We probably won't be in the room that much and the club breakfast sounds better at the Le Meridien.
Last December I was traveling in London with my wife & 2 kids (13 & 11). I had reservation for the LM Etoile in Paris but, for my personal experience, the location is not so good for family/leisure travel. At the Internet the rates were much higher. Anyway, the day before my arrival I decided to try to call the Westin directly.
I spoke to Ms. Lona and she was EXTREMELY helpful and nice. She gave me a very good rate w/ an upgrade for a Junior Suite and breakfast included (either at the restaurant or at the lounge).
I canceled my reservation at the LM Etoile and, when we arrived at the Westin, she personally received us, accompanied to the Suite and gave to my kids a souvenir.
Couldn't be better !! ^^
About our stay, yes, part of the Hotel is under reform, but did no affected us.
The Hotel continue to be excellent and the location is wonderful !!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 7:59 pm

Thanks for the comments. They helped me make my decision: I am going to splurge and stay at the Westin Paris. It's my son's 21st birthday and my own birthday too so we'll live it up a bit

The agent tried to sell me on the Prince de Galles, saying he get a lot of compliments for that property too. It costs the same, point-wise, but my impression is that the Westin is more centrally located, it has a lounge which is nice for breakfast, and offers free Internet access (I think free in the lounge, if I understood right). I may try the Prince de Galles next time.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, LH Senator, UA Premier Executive, RG Diamante
Originally Posted by emuyshondt
and offers free Internet access (I think free in the lounge, if I understood right).
Correct : free in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.