Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The College Green Hotel Dublin, Autograph Collection (was Westin) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The College Green Hotel Dublin, Autograph Collection (was Westin) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Without the slightest hesitation I will recommend Gogarty's. This is a MUST for food on the top floor, and the music on the 1st floor. The most difficult thing about the restaurant is making a choice. The menu is loaded with great things to eat.

http://www.gogartys.ie/
Then, I shall try next time. Thanks, stimpy.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
We checked in Friday morning after a night-flight and were thrilled that our room was ready at 9am! I'd requested a suite upgrade and we were shown to room 400, which is a lovely suite. It had a living room and a bedroom, with a marble half-bath on the far side of the living room and a good-sized marble bathroom in the bedroom with a tub and walk-in shower.

The key-card goes into a slot when you enter the suite to turn the lights, on, and THIS is what caused us trouble. There was no door between the bedroom and living room, so the hubby and I had dueling tv sets on. Then I work up earlier than he did and I turned on the light out in the hallway, which turned on the light in the bedroom, waking him up. If I'd been alone, room 400 would've been perfect. But we needed something a little different, something with a door between the rooms.

The next night we were moved to 220, the Westmoreland suite. It, too, is lovely, and while smaller than room 400, it has that door that keeps the unwanted noise and light to a minimum. There are a few steps up when you enter the room and there's a small living room with sofa, coffee table desk and tv area. A flat screen hangs on the wall.

The bedroom is smaller but again, separate, and the bathroom is a bit larger, with 2 separate sinks and the same marble floor with tub and separate walk-in shower.

I heard mention of there not being slippers to accompany the robes, but in both suites we had slippers in the drawer with the hair dryer. Since the floors out here are wood and the bathroom is marble, the slippers are nice.

The people who work here go out of their way to help. We mentioned to the concierge that my husband wanted to see a soccer game, and when there weren't any nearby, they found us a "Hurling' game, which was something to see! I dislike sports but this was hard to take my eyes off!

The concierge works so hard, and yesterday they had 2 men on the job trying to find us the game. Today they found us the exact tour we were looking for (we go tomorrow) and they're wonderful with ideas and maps. The desk clerks are great, as well. After they moved us into this suite the manager on duty called to be sure we were comfortable.

The only problem we're running into is that it's actually sunny today and the living room doesn't cool off. But they sent us a fan last night and it really helped. Also, we kept having to call for ice, which is annoying both to the one calling and the one bringing the ice. But the min-bar lady solved the problem today by asking us if we wanted to "use the minibar" as a fridge! I almost kissed her.

I think we've got a lovely suite, the people who work here are amazing, and the breakfast buffet was perfection. If we weren't adopting a baby later this month, I would already be planning a return visit!

Great stay so far, wonderful people, above and beyond.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 4:33 am
Community Director Emerita

I stayed at this hotel as a gold 5 years or so ago. I was really looking forward to my return as a platinum (which I have now been for three years). Imagine my surprise to find the front desk staff believing that I was a gold. Fortunately, I show my SPG card as a matter of course. I immediately got an upgrade to a junior suite.

The suite was large enough to be considered a full suite. For ventilation and light purposes, it has an opening to the bedroom, as otherwise it would be entirely interior. From the front hall, the bedroom was to the right, and the bathroom was to the left. Others have written that all bathrooms here have walk in showers. That was not the case for this room. There were a few steps up to the living room. It was sparsely furnished, with a sofa at one end, a coffee table, then a dresser/minibar at the other with the TV on top. There was a desk to the side. Others have noted that the building was a conversion from a bank, so there are few rooms with exterior views. We had a large window that looked out on an interior service walkway, a side wall, and then blue sky above.

The bedroom would benefit from a curtain to draw close between the living area and the bedroom. It is light from 5am til 10pm at this time of year. The curtains were not blackout, and there was considerable light seepage into the bedroom. Further, if anyone is at the desk with the light on, it is immediately across from the opening to the bedroom.

We had some service issues the first day, and had superb recovery by the Assistant Front Desk Manager. He certainly made us feel that those hiccups were an anomaly. The staff is very international, from the warm and friendly head of maintenance to the absolutely delightful head of food services who was filling in at the restaurant during breakfast. The doorman was outstanding, carefully helping my husband with directions to drop off our rental car.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Spent 3 days here in late May 2009. 2 nights award, 1 night paid. Spent 1,500 points extra per night for the junior suite (1 paid night was cheapest room, but they upgraded me on that night to same junior suite room… which was my plan all along ). No further upgrade offered at check in.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and would return. The location is perfect for Dublin. Extremely central. I think this is the hotels best attribute. Many in this thread state this is one of their favorite Starwood hotels anywhere, that it is fantastic with superb service, etc. I have a difficult time going that far. Again, nice, but not spectacular.

As previously mentioned entire staff not Irish. Don’t think I met even one Irish person on my entire trip!

Room: At the end of the hall on the 2nd floor overlooking Trinity college (and main road). Odd shape. Always a risk with junior suites… hotels love to make left over weird spaces into junior suites. Sometimes they are great, sometimes they are horrible. This one was just OK. I almost decided to ask for another room, but did not. Clever reception desk clerk comment that this was his “favorite room in the hotel”, probably influenced me . Spacious marble bath was the nicest part of the room. However the separate shower was awkwardly located behind the main entry door to the bathroom… and was about 6” too small in width and depth. Kept thinking I was going to bang my elbows into the glass wall. New Westin toiletries from Canada. OK, but asked housekeeping if they still had any Molten Brown … and they brought a round up for me (very nice). Nice bathtub. Bed was on the soft side. I think a boys rugby team had practice on it before my arrival. After the first night it was bad enough that I again almost tried to change rooms… but did not. Sofa also not very comfortable. With the exception of the hardwood flooring in the entry area (very scratched up), the room was otherwise in very good condition (fabrics, paint job, etc.). One good thing was due to the room location about 40 miles from the elevator, I was not bothered by hallway noise or door slamming. Was not bothered by other guest noise either. Traffic noise from major road (300 buses per hour) was fairly well subdued by the double glazed windows, but I did sleep with ear plugs.

Food: Had dinner in the main restaurant one evening. They had a special that was a good value. The meal was excellent and the service very pleasant and attentive. It was not very busy. Did not eat breakfast at the hotel as rates were ridiculous.

Service: I don’t consume much in the way of hotel services other than checking in and having my room serviced… so can’t really say too much about it other than staff was pleasant. However, my room was not cleaned one day when I came back to the room at about 4:30, which I thought rather late (could be that my room being 40 miles from the elevator gets cleaned last). I double checked with the front desk to make sure they did not think I was checking out (due to 2 night award, 1 night paid). Oh yeah, turndown not provided on the first night.

Summary: Good solid hotel in a great central location. Ok rooms, nice bathrooms.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2mm), SPG Gold
Does anyone know if there are any non-suite "family rooms" here that would accommodate 2 adults & 2 kids? I am only seeing rooms with 2 twins or 1 double bed on the site. I can e-mail the hotel but just wondering if anyone has stayed here with their children in the same room.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Recent stay reports?

Going to Dublin in early Sept and wanted to know if anyone had any recent stay reports.

Also - what should I expect (I know, if I want a suite, book one... ) as far as Plat upgrade and Plat amenity?

Thanks all!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If the hotel is very full, in my experience, you can expect the Presidential (College) Suite.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by ckg1999
Going to Dublin in early Sept and wanted to know if anyone had any recent stay reports.

Also - what should I expect (I know, if I want a suite, book one... ) as far as Plat upgrade and Plat amenity?

Thanks all!
Stayed in Feb, so not exactly recent but we really enjoyed our stay. The staff were very friendly, got a very nice suite upgrade as a Plat as well! Just took the points on the Plat amenity so cant tell you what the choices are there!

Had a slight issue with the concierge, but nothing major and he was very apologetic and sorted it out.

All in all a very nice property!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for the updates. Looking to use my free weekend nights :-)

Now, only if the hotel will fill up...
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by stimpy
If the hotel is very full, in my experience, you can expect the Presidential (College) Suite.
Been there, done that. Best upgrade in my life (so far) was the College Suite. My guess is that you could easily fit 40-50 fters in there for a party. Heck, you could probably get 20 people on the balcony alone.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Any recent (Plat) experiences? Huge fan here and the countdown to my next is 10 days away. I haven't been here for almost 4 years now and really looking forward to it.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:27 am

Programs: *G, SPG Plat, Accor Plat
In house right now and enjoying it. I believe this should be a Luxury Collection rather than a Westin - there is so much character to this place.

Service is impeccable with the ever ready and nice Dublin mentality.

Top notch! Definitely beats Pulitzer hands down.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:05 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Any recent (Plat) experiences? Huge fan here and the countdown to my next is 10 days away. I haven't been here for almost 4 years now and really looking forward to it.
Let me throw out this question as a Gold instead

Just booked a 2 night stay (should I up it to 3? I've never been in Dublin before, and I wasn't sure how much time I'd need to explore the city) for next July.

Booked online - Is it worth a call to SPG to see if I can spend a few extra points to upgrade to a suite?

Thanks!

CLG
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by CLG
Let me throw out this question as a Gold instead

Just booked a 2 night stay (should I up it to 3? I've never been in Dublin before, and I wasn't sure how much time I'd need to explore the city) for next July.

Booked online - Is it worth a call to SPG to see if I can spend a few extra points to upgrade to a suite?

Thanks!

CLG
I was there last night. I'm not sure whether I got a Gold upgrade or not; it seemed bigger than some of the other rooms on the floor based on the fire evacuation plan, however it was a very nice room in a well-positioned, good hotel.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Currently staying at the Westin, Dublin on a 3-night stay.

Upgraded to one of their bi-level author suites upon check-in. The suite is fine, but their attention to details is not:
- shower out of order (only cold water - will notify them tomorrow, too tired)
- no slippers in the room
- no water in the room
- no newspaper delivered in the morning
- no turndown service

Was expecting more from this hotel, little bit dissappointed in terms of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.