Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The College Green Hotel Dublin, Autograph Collection (was Westin) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The College Green Hotel Dublin, Autograph Collection (was Westin) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Stayed here for one night earlier in the month on points. My flight arrived in the AM and I was able to check in early for a room with two twins instead of a king. The room was very spacious and had an ottoman in the entryway and but only one lounge chair in the room. Staff was very friendly and attentive.

Bath amenities are in process of being switched from old to new so there was a mixture of both.

Internet is 15 euro per day and the standard breakfast buffet was 27 euro.

Great location, convenient to the buses and shopping.

I received an email prior to arrival offering an room upgrade for 25 euro which I didn't take.

Last edited by BogeyMan; Mar 16, 2009 at 7:53 am Reason: deleted "subways" meant "buses"
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:34 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
My husband and I are staying next month for 9 nights. We do a big anniversary trip every year and while visiting the UK last year we both were saddened that we didn't have enough time to see Ireland. So now we're basing ourselves in Dublin and hoping to get around to other cities on day tours. I'd also LOVE to go to Cork overnight but am unsure as to how we'd get there since I doubt the hubby would want to drive, and have read that there might be problems finding a train from Dublin to Cork.

I'm curious about the suites. I've read on other sites about the bi-level suites and I've seen photos of the Executive suite (that's the one we've booked) but wonder which is the better? Also, if anyone's stayed there recently, what is the concierge like? It seems as if I either get a really good concierge or a really bad one, never in between.

My husband wants to know about the tv channels, if they'll have any American channels (I doubt it, it IS Ireland, not America!) and if they get any sports or news channels.

Do they offer bottled water everyday for Plats? Newspapers? I didn't see info on a club floor so I'm guessing we're on our own for breakfast and dinner.

If there are any more recent reviews, I'd love to read them! I saw on a Dublin website that this hotel is considered #1 in the city. I think it was about #13 or #14 on Trip Advisor.

I'd been planning on using the Platinum "gift" of 50 percent off a stay for our trip but as it didn't show up this year, we cut the trip shorter. But I did get a pretty good rate- buy 4 nights get 2 free, and then I used points for the other 3 nights. Considering that it was only 10,000 a night, it wasn't that bad. Not the free trip we'd counted on, but still, not bad!
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Originally Posted by thaliajen

My husband wants to know about the tv channels, if they'll have any American channels (I doubt it, it IS Ireland, not America!) and if they get any sports or news channels.
I just stayed at Westin Dublin for 4 nights last week. Had a great stay. A very nice room. Everybody I encountered on the staff was fantastic.

The hotel is very centrally located and is just a few minutes walk from anything you could want in Dublin. It is situated across the street from Trinity college and Bank of Ireland. It's around 15-20 Euro for a taxi ride from DUB (depending on traffic).

They had CNN, MSNBC, Bloomberg, Nick, and ESPN America. They also had SkyNews (UK) and some other channels.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:04 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I was there about 2 weeks ago. My wife and I received a nice upgrade to a very large room, more than adequate.

I remember paying about 30 Euros for the taxi back to DUB early Sunday morning, before the buses start to run.

Edited to add:
Water-Yes
Newspaper-Yes (The Irish Times)
There is no club. Temple Bar is acoss the street

There are many trains daily (hourly) from DUB to Cork. However, it is about a 3 hour ride (as is Galway, etc.). The Trains to Cork leave from Hesuton station. Plan on a taxi.
http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey...0Cork%2009.pdf

The 10,000 points/night is one of the better uses of *points, given the value of the dollar and the prices of top hotels in Europe.

Last edited by Vulcan; Apr 5, 2009 at 8:26 am
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I did not like the duplex suite they offered to me. No windows in on the gound floor (a bit like being in a cellar), rather small and the top floor windows gave a view into nowwhere. I liked th O'Connel (the spelling is certainly wrong) which was quite spacious and gave a good view facing this main road. All in all: fantastic hotel. Water: yes, howuper there is a 7/11 (or similar) 20 yards from the hotel.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I had the College Suite once on an upgrade. It was the finest suite I have ever had. Two floors overlooking Trinity, private gym and steam room, two separate upstairs rooms, etc., etc.,
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by stimpy
I had the College Suite once on an upgrade. It was the finest suite I have ever had. Two floors overlooking Trinity, private gym and steam room, two separate upstairs rooms, etc., etc.,
I had the College Suite as well - for the Shamrock Doo a couple of years ago. I felt like a visiting King. The balcony was the largest I have ever seen.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I don't think we'll get the college suite considering we're cashing in points for 3 of the nights and getting another 2 for free with their rate, but it sounds like a great place. I don't mind using the points and am surprised it's not more.

I'm thinking I might want to go overnight to Cork, so now I need to look into the Starwood there. I wonder if 1 day is enough for Cork or if 2 would be better? It's my 1st trip to Ireland- I have no idea what to do and see. Luckily the concierge is helping my hubby with inquiries into soccer matches and golf!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm thinking I might want to go overnight to Cork, so now I need to look into the Starwood there. I wonder if 1 day is enough for Cork or if 2 would be better? It's my 1st trip to Ireland- I have no idea what to do and see. Luckily the concierge is helping my hubby with inquiries into soccer matches and golf!
There are two basic things to do in Ireland if you are a golfer. Golf and drink. So if you don't golf, you won't have to worry about an agenda.

I've never stayed at the Starwood near Cork. It's too far outside of town and it's fun to wander around the center and have a drink or 6.

Also, be ware of the great American rip-off that they have in Ireland these days. If you pay for anything with a US credit card, most all establishments will try to rip you off by charging you in dollars with an inflated exchange rate. I always tell them that I wish to be charged in Euros. Let Visa or Amex handle the currency exchange for you. Do not sign any credit card slip or machine without carefully reading everything. Usually somewhere in fine print it will say you are agreeing to be charge in dollars at a special exchange rate. Note that I don't recall the Westin using this horrible practice, but most everywhere else I've gone in Ireland does.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:08 am

Ah, we golf but neither of us is much of a drinker. But we do love the ambiance of a city, walking the streets, etc. If the Starwood hotel is way out of the city, maybe we should just do a day trip?

Good to know about the exchange rate charge! My hubby and I cut most of our credit cards out of our lives and use our bank cards (the debit/credit ones) for almost everything. We have CCs if we need them, but we save a lot of money by just having everything taken directly from our bank account. I'm wondering if I should call our bank about this charge?

I didn't notice anything like that in Europe last month or the UK last year, but I will be on the lookout! Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't notice anything like that in Europe last month or the UK last year, but I will be on the lookout! Thanks!
Ireland is the only country in Europe where I've seen this. I think it would be the same with debit cards, but I've not tried it. Just make sure that you don't agree to be charged in dollars and you will be OK.

There are other nice hotels in Cork center. Jury's is good. The Monte Notte is nice and trendy, but you have to walk up a hill to get there.

Another Irish town with a nice city center is Limerick. The Hilton is very nice there, as is the Marriott.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Any good restaurant recommendations within a short walk of this property?
Old Apr 19, 2009, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vandalby
Without the slightest hesitation I will recommend Gogarty's. This is a MUST for food on the top floor, and the music on the 1st floor. The most difficult thing about the restaurant is making a choice. The menu is loaded with great things to eat.

http://www.gogartys.ie/
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
I'd also LOVE to go to Cork overnight but am unsure as to how we'd get there since I doubt the hubby would want to drive, and have read that there might be problems finding a train from Dublin to Cork.
A direct train every hour each way is not enough?
Timetable at http://irishrail.ie/home/

I don't watch TV in the US. The thought of going all the way to Ireland to watch crummy American TV just boggles my mind.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, United Silver, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by vandalby
Gallagher's Boxty House is just down the road and is really nice as well. Make sure to hit the tourist information center first to get a leaflet that gets you a free pint of Murphy's with the purchase of an entree.

http://www.boxtyhouse.ie/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.