Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Hi, is this a private pool because it is described as "pool access" on the website, and as a result we booked a One bedroom Sala Pool villa.

Yes.. In speaking with the hotel mgr Sean, they had trouble trying to accurately describe the pool. Its a semi-private pool (I have photos's, I will try to work our posting them) that you share laterally with the 5-6 units beside you... it has privacy screens (not very private) between each unit but the water flows thru all of them.
So pool access, is your own, shared pool. That is the discovery suite. The one bedroom Sala Villa appear to have their own pools.

Last edited by mtacchi; Aug 2, 2010 at 9:36 pm Reason: ATTEMPTED TO LOAD PHOTO.. FAILED..
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by mtacchi
[IMG]...The one bedroom Sala Villa appear to have their own pools.
Why, yes, the Sala Villas do indeed have their own pools. Photos to post tomorrow ...
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

tell me how and I will post mine of discovery suite
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by mtacchi
tell me how and I will post mine of discovery suite
Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...phy-forum.html for an excellent how-to.

ETA: I'm having trouble getting my photos to upload to the FT photo album feature. Will try again tomorrow after I get settled into the Plaza Athenee.

Last edited by FatManInNYC; Aug 5, 2010 at 11:44 am
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
There you go. See, I'd never book LM Phuket to begin with, so a no-brainer. Cancel it unless proximity to Patong is what you are looking for.
Five days ago I'd have no idea what you and mtacchi were talking about concerning Patong. Now, I get it.

Patong, Phuket is to Siray Bay, Phuket just as Kuta, Bali is to Nusa Dua, Bali.

I sincerely enjoyed my brief stay at the Westin and will try to cobble together a report soon (though it will never match mtacchi's fine prose.)
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
It seems that the confirmation numbers for most of your reservations have been altered due to the migration to the new system.

I am going to offer two suggestions: 1. Contact the property by phone or email to check on your reservation. 2. Send me a PM with your full name on the ressie and date of travel. But I might take some time to get back to you. Do bear with me. And this is a "one-time offer".

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
FWIW: Mine reappeared after a few days without any prompting on my part. No problem finding my rez at check-in either.

Thanks for the offer to help.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA global, VS Gld , SPG plat
Originally Posted by FatManInNYC

Patong, Phuket is to Siray Bay, Phuket just as Kuta, Bali is to Nusa Dua, Bali.
very poetic but afraid I don't understand it !!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It's far in both distance and activity type.
I think comparing staying in New York City or
New Jersey would equate. Not horribly far, but a hassle, and a whole other world.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:45 am

Programs: SPG
Thanks for the great report!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:29 am

Sala Pool Villa

Some quick-pics

Mini-report

My experiences track after those reported by mtacchi, though I add one additional consideration. More on that later.

Check-in was a little slow and there was a slight hiccup. Prior to leaving my hotel in Patong the SPG website showed me I'd been upgraded pre-arrival to an elevation suite. Feeling no need to hurry I dawdled a bit and arrived at the resort after 9pm, at which time the front desk attendant informed me the upgrade had been given to another guest. Upon issuing the slightest of disappointment, however, the front desk arranged for me an upgrade into a Sala Pool Suite, which was certainly beyond the call of duty or SPG guidelines, and I am ever so grateful. Late check-out for the next morning was denied due to bookings, which was understandable and drew no complaint from me.

The Sala Pool Villa is very nice, but has some quirks. The light switches are reversed and sometimes upside down. Manufacturer stickers and contractor grease-pen markings remain on the windows and glass doors. My tub didn't work (water was not turned on), and general construction marks, dust and dirt were visible on the walls. It's been twenty years since swinging a hammer helped pay for my college, but I'd estimate four hours of scraping, scrubbing and razoring was needed to finish the Villa. (and these will certainly get done, so no worry there.)

What is a bit of a concern is the lack of personality in the villa and the property overall. Other than a Thai-styled roof, there is nothing here to indicate this resort is in Thailand. It really could just as well be in Mexico. (see room pictures, for example). Also, while much of the room was done first-class, some things were done very cheap. For instance, the faux-beams in the bedroom are particle board with wood design tack paper (think drawer-liner) attached. Already there were some tears showing and in the Phuket humidity that's not going to wear well. Also, the couches, while comfortable, seem generic to the hospitality industry. In a room as nice as the Sala Pool Villa I'd expect something better.

But enough of the nit-picking. The Villa pool is very nice, the view is very nice and the overall experience fantastic. For me, having a skimmer for the pool (so one can clean out the bugs and leaves) would have been appreciated, but that may seem tacky to others. Given the exceptional customer service orientation of the staff I'm confident someone would have come out to clean the pool for me, even at midnight, but I just couldn't bring myself to make such a demand.

Breakfast was a pleasant experience. An open kitchen, with moderate seating capacity, and a deep selection. By comparison, it's somewhere between the Le Meridien BKK and the Plaza Athenee (sorry to those for whom that means nothing.) Suffice to say, no one will go away hungry in the morning except by their own design.

Wandering around the property was also very pleasant, even as the heat was building up. There is a lot of construction ongoing and some features have yet to open (i.e., the gym), but what is available is well designed and implemented.

After breakfast I called the front desk to inquire if the possibility for a late check-out had changed. This drew a mild rebuke as the front desk manager reminded me that she told me the night before it was not, and she meant what she said. That's the reader digest version at least. The full version includes a long-winded, gentle handling of a client presented with a smile that seemingly beamed over the phone and caused me to smile along with the admonishment. It was a classic Thai customer service moment. ^

Now the troubling aspect: this property ascribes to what others on FT have termed "the taxi mafia." No help from the hotel -- period -- getting an outside meter taxi to pick you up. What makes this especially disappointing is that I asked the front desk at check-in, and again when requesting a late check-out, if the hotel would call a meter taxi for me. Both times I was assured it would. Had it said "no," I would have used the complimentary Internet to find and dial a taxi myself. Instead, I was stuck paying 3x that of a meter taxi so me and my one bag could ride in a mini-van built for a large family. Not only wasn't it "green" it also a bit insulting. Can you imagine a concierge who would only recommend to you the hotel restaurants? Who wouldn't even acknowledge that other places to eat even exist? That what the taxi mafia is all about. You're on the property and if you need to go somewhere, and haven't prepared your own transport, they are going to fleece you. It's as if the hotel management was saying to me "forget about all that smiling our staff does, here's what the bosses think of you -- <plonk> a nice poke in the eye on your way out the gate."

One must further ask, if the hotel is going to gouge guests on transport, where else is it lurking with extra expense and a deliberate suppression of competition, alternatives and information?

I'll come back, mostly because the staff were so very nice and because I think the property has great potential, but it won't be with the enthusiasm it might have been.

Bottom line: great staff, still learning its way, beautiful resort and as a cat 3 property a steal when using points.

ETA: Riding back the next morning I was fascinated by what I saw of the fishing village nearby. Had I a proper taxi I would have asked for a detour to take some photos. I suggest those with longer stays may want to check out the marina, etc.

Safe Travels!

Last edited by FatManInNYC; Aug 6, 2010 at 7:39 am
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: UA global, VS Gld , SPG plat
great report thanks.
The pictures tell a lot - it could be any posh hotel in any major city that is one of the problems. Straight out of a 'furnish your hotel room' catalogue. Nice but characterless.

Was that beach private for the hotel ?
and back to my favourite question: would you choose this hotel over the LM Phuket and Sheraton Karbi ?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by JCBR
great report thanks.
The pictures tell a lot - it could be any posh hotel in any major city that is one of the problems. Straight out of a 'furnish your hotel room' catalogue. Nice but characterless.
Yup, but that may change as they complete the construction. One aspect that does remind one they are in South East Asia, at least, are the long boats going out to sea for fishing.

Was that beach private for the hotel ?
and back to my favourite question: would you choose this hotel over the LM Phuket and Sheraton Karbi ?
Yes, and it is very tranquil. According to one of the staff this area was once called "the dark side of Phuket" because there was no tourism. There are some small tidal pools and then a fishing village. The beach is just for the resort.

I have no experience with LM Phuket or Sheraton Krabi. I'd likely take the Westin over the Laguna, however.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:12 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
I just checked-out from a quick two night stay at the property. Here are a few of our observations.

Check In

Check in was a little slow. We were offered a cold drink and towel while we sat and waited..and waited...and waited. It took a good 15 minutes to be checked in. We thought that was a little excessive.

Room
We were booked on the introductory rate of $59USD and weren't expecting an upgrade. Instead we received a pool villa. The villa was nice and was perfect for the two of us. As previous mentioned no expense was spared in some areas of the room and in others it looked as though they had run out of money and shopped at the dollar store.

Property
Property is very nice and has a great amount of potential to be an excellent Westin hotel! Still has some things that they are working on. It's perched on the side of the hill/mountain and the buildings are tiered upwards. It involves a lot of steep walking or calling a golf cart to come and pick you up. Swimming pool is nice and has a swim up bar area. We had a few cocktails in the lounge area in the lobby. 120THB for a Lychee Martini during happy hour. Food/Drink prices aren't exorbitant but they aren't what you will receive from a street vendor.

Overall, we thought it was a very nice property that has good potential to become a great property.

Halothane
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by JCBR
very poetic but afraid I don't understand it !!
I think What he meant was Patong is similar to Kuta, while Siray bay is Phuket's version of Nusa Dua, Bali.

Last edited by SC Alum; Aug 14, 2010 at 5:50 pm
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
So for one unfamiliar with these examples am I correct in assuming you would suggest that I cancel my LM Phuket beach resort reservation for one here? It would be our honeymoon and we have little interest in being hassled/whoreing; we plan on beach relaxation, eating and exercising, and a day or two of diving.....

I assume I could cancel my C+P reservation and rebook here.... It certainly is cheaper for both C and P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.