Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:47 pm

So I got an email today from A3 (Aegean) and they are bringing in the "industry standard" 12 month elite qualifying window... so the days of 16k (or 20k) miles for life time *G, look like they are over. It was fun while it lasted. Add to this the massive number of miles I could never credit to A3 because they were on regional partners (a situation which got worse as time went on)... and I think the A3 party is pretty close to over. Which I think is the whole intention unfortunately. If they think people like me are going to stay with *A without any carrot keeping us there, they are going to lose some money

http://www.newmilesandbonus.com/en#milesbonus-tiers
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: Umbi Umni Silver
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)

LAD

Discounted economy

25k-50k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)

Only Silver on TAAG's Umbi Umbi! I do have 20,000 tier miles on SAA's Voyager.

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)

Lounge access, then upgrades.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)

Africa to Europe and Middle East.

(7) Preferred Airlines

From Star alliance preference is as follows starting with the best that I use regularly:

1) LH
2) ET
3) SAA (NB. I currently use SAA the most after TAAG)
4) TAP

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

Both. I can choose airline. Normally stuck in Economy.

The question

I fly an increasing amount and presently have no loyalty to any airline.

But I think it is worth joining a scheme as I may soon start to be able to do over 50k in tier miles now and have decided Star is best alliance as I am Africa-based.

I would like to know if I am best off with SAA's Voyager or possibly with LH's Miles and More or TP's Victoria or ET's Sheba. Or am I best off with Aegean, Asiana, Turkish or another?

I do fly on EK a fair bit as it is convenient and its miles are accruable on Voyager and, also, supposedly on Victoria (Victoria has never given me miles on EK and it doesn't respond to my emails for claiming). Voyager seems best for airline partners, but I think Miles and More is better in terms of non airline partners. Meanwhile Turkish is about to start flights to LAD in early 2015 but I would have to avoid EK on Turkish scheme.

What do you recommend?

Last edited by angolanexpat; Sep 25, 2014 at 8:10 am Reason: Added bit about Turkish starting flights in early 2015.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, OZ Diamond
(1) What is your home airport? KRK WAW
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y but i might buy some good promoC
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-40k in *A (and rising)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? None (60k M&M miles with my credit card though and accumulating)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? lounge, priority, upgrades, awards, easy achievable "lifetime" or prolongation
(6) Which routes do you fly most often KRK-DFW (IAH will do as well)
(7) Preferred Airlines UA,LO,LH,OS
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? I travel for pleasure, sightseeing mostly

As terms on A3 changed I'm wondering which one to choose OZ or TK?
OZ seems nice as almost all UA fares credit 100% and I should be able to get *G soon. I have some nice margin for crediting more millage to *A (I almost always fly Skyteam to Asia)

for next few month i got planned:
6k TK G
14k UA V
10K UA(the cheapest the better)

Last edited by hellosweets; Sep 29, 2014 at 7:02 am
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:46 pm
jls

Hey guys, thanks for the help!!

(1) What is your home airport?

LHR and LGW

Mostly Y, some C potentially

>50k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?

On BA

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?

Priority services, award redemptions, lounge access (in that order)

(6) Which routes do you fly most often

Transatlantic (LHR-ORD, LHR-PHL), European short-haul

(7) Preferred Airlines

BA, LH

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?

A bit of both

---------------------------------------------

I've been loyal to BA but now find myself doing quite a bit of European short-haul (mostly on TP) and some transatlantic from Europe (mostly on LH but that could change). I am a member of both TAP Victoria and Miles and More and using only Victoria, but not sure this is the right call. Is M&M better? Or another *A program that could get me status quicker (since sadly A3 is no longer an option).

Thanks you guys!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PLT
(1) What is your home airport?
GVA/ZRH
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Mostly discounted Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
40-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
None
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Good award redemption rates, priority service when flying the airline, lounge access would be nice too
(6) Which routes do you fly most often?
Starting this winter I'll be flying Europe - South America (via USA on United/Swiss) at least twice a year
(7) Preferred Airlines
-
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Pleasure

Hey guys!
Since I'll be flying more starting this winter I'd like to change my FFP to one that would suit me better. I was obviously thinking about joining Miles and Bonus or Miles and Smiles. I could make it to Gold on both programs by summer '15. I'll be flying mostly on United though and I'm currently wondering if SIlver's complimentary E+ would be more beneficial to me than Gold status. What do you guys think? Is E+ on United worth it giving up Gold status? Would appreciate your help!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

Sadly this thread is now just people asking for advice will no advice being given out it seems.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Need advice re UA PQ$$$ requirement workaround

Re Mrs. CO FF:
(1) What is your home airport? LAX
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Cheap Y for most; occasional C for longhaul
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AA Gld
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? E+ UA seating
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Domestic transcon
(7) Preferred Airlines They all stink...
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Most travel is biz

Slightly unusual facts here: we have 2 longhaul C trips in 2015 (2 segments on AC & 6 on LH) for a total of 38,000 BIS miles. None of the tix are on United's 016 stock. So, the purchases generate no PQDs.

Is there any way to parlay this into *G status for her, and get her E+ eligibility?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1k, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC
Newb here. I'm not necessarily looking to switch from UA, but just want to make sure I'm not "doing it wrong". What are my other options??

(1) LAX
(2) S, L, W, V, H
(3) about 80,000 and growing
(4) UA Gold already, will reach UA Plat this year
(5) Most important things in a FFP to me: frequency of upgrades, special treatment (check-in, dedicated phone line, priority boarding, etc), RDM bonuses
(6) I fly mostly for work, typically LAX to the East Coast, plus several (3-4) international or Hawaii flights per year. For personal travel, I typically fly 1 international and 3-4 domestic flights per year.
(7) The reason I joined UA MP is that I always fly to IAH at least once per year for work. They also have very good availability of flights from LAX to basically anywhere. Before UA, I was with Alaska. I'm not partial to any US domestic airline, but my favorite airlines so far are Thai Airways and Lufthansa
(8) When I travel for work (most flights), I cannot choose class of service. Occasionally I purchase the TOD upgrade, if available.

Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:30 pm

don't know if people are still responding here with advice, but looking for a partner to United as I have amex MR points (which don't transfer to united anymore)

(1) What is your home airport? IAH
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? economy
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? united premier
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? being able to use united miles/amex points
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Domestic; rarely international
(7) Preferred Airlines United, Southwest
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Most travel is pleasure
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
don't know if people are still responding here with advice, but looking for a partner to United as I have amex MR points (which don't transfer to united anymore)..
Sadly very few Star Alliance people answer questions
The other 2 "which ffp" threads get more traffic
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Which airlines can you transfer your Amex MR points to?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:29 pm

don't know if people are still responding here with advice, but looking for a partner to United as I have amex MR points (which don't transfer to united anymore)

(1) What is your home airport? IAH
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? economy
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? united premier
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? being able to use united miles/amex points
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Domestic; rarely international
(7) Preferred Airlines United, Southwest
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Most travel is pleasure
You could sign up for Air Canada Aeroplan and then use your MR points to transfer to AP. AP has excellent redemption options. A little bit more tax than UA MP, but not a bad alternative, especially if there is a promo bonus for transferring MR points to AP.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
You could sign up for Air Canada Aeroplan and then use your MR points to transfer to AP. AP has excellent redemption options. A little bit more tax than UA MP, but not a bad alternative, especially if there is a promo bonus for transferring MR points to AP.
thanks! if I go this route, when looking to book, would I have to check both the UA and the air canada websites separately, or is there some way to look at them together?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:49 pm

thanks! if I go this route, when looking to book, would I have to check both the UA and the air canada websites separately, or is there some way to look at them together?
Not sure what you are asking. If you earn AP (Aeroplan) miles you need to redeem via AC, with UA, you redeem via mileage plus.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by marscloud
Newb here. I'm not necessarily looking to switch from UA, but just want to make sure I'm not "doing it wrong". What are my other options??

(1) LAX
(2) S, L, W, V, H
(3) about 80,000 and growing
(4) UA Gold already, will reach UA Plat this year
(5) Most important things in a FFP to me: frequency of upgrades, special treatment (check-in, dedicated phone line, priority boarding, etc), RDM bonuses
(6) I fly mostly for work, typically LAX to the East Coast, plus several (3-4) international or Hawaii flights per year. For personal travel, I typically fly 1 international and 3-4 domestic flights per year.
(7) The reason I joined UA MP is that I always fly to IAH at least once per year for work. They also have very good availability of flights from LAX to basically anywhere. Before UA, I was with Alaska. I'm not partial to any US domestic airline, but my favorite airlines so far are Thai Airways and Lufthansa
(8) When I travel for work (most flights), I cannot choose class of service. Occasionally I purchase the TOD upgrade, if available.

Thanks!
Why not stay with UA and make a run towards 1K - upgrades are quite easy, good mileage earning, great redemption table. not sure that theres a better plan out there. certainly not within *A
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May be of use, but does not show cash taxes or carrier imposed fees (surcharges)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...demptions.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.