Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Accessible Room - Kicked Out / Bed Type Guarantee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:26 am
Original Poster

I had an interesting stay last week at the Marriott FS near O'hare. I booked a room with a King Bed and upon arriving, was told they didn't have any King Beds left but would give me two queen. As a PP, I said that was fine but would impose the bed type guarantee.

They ended up "finding" inventory....it was a King Accessible room and gave me the keys (didn't know it was accessible until I got to the room). It being 8p already, was ready to just settle in (not usually a fan of accessible rooms, but could deal with it).

Hour later, received a call from the front desk and I guess a guest who actually booked an accessible room showed up and required it, and I took the last one. They wanted me out of the room. Surprised, they asked me to come to the front desk where apparently according to the accessible guest who made a comment to me ("Thanks for taking an accessible room when you didn't need it. You're probably one of those people who park in handicap spots too.") that the front desk told them I forced them to give me the room (incorrect, I asked for the bed type I reserved and was guaranteed). In the end, they had to give me another room and apparently clean the room I was just in, which it was the room with two beds.

Next morning, inquired with manager on my guarantee for the bed type and to also express disappointment about how they handled the situation and forcing me out of my room. Manager denied the bed type guarantee as they "offered me the king bed in the accessible room, but I declined."

Just wanted to share the experience with everyone about this particular property. How would you guys have handled? Looking back, wonder what would have happened if I would have just stayed in my room?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
It seems the manager the next morning did not understand the situation. (The manager may need to work on listening skills.)

The hotel owes you $100 USD under the Guaranteed Room Type guarantee. You did not to stay in a room with a King bed, despite your Guaranteed Bed reservation and your Platinum Premier Elite status.

The hotel also ought to give Rewards Points to you as an apology for the inconvenience and annoyance of forcing you to change rooms around 9 p.m., and subjecting you to a rude comment during the process, even if the comment was from a guest. I think most Marriotts would provide at least 5,000 points under such circumstances -- without being asked.

Last edited by Horace; Feb 22, 2017 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Horace
It seems the manager the next morning did not understand the situation. (The manager may need to work on listening skills.)

The hotel owes you $100 USD under the Guaranteed Room Type guarantee. You did not to stay in a room with a King bed, despite your Guaranteed Bed reservation and your Platinum Premier Elite status.

The hotel also ought to give Rewards Points to you as an apology for the inconvenience and annoyance of forcing you to change rooms around 9 p.m., and subjecting you to a rude comment during the process, even if the comment was from a guest. I think most Marriotts would provide at least 5,000 points under such circumstances -- without being asked.
Agree 100% w/ Horace. Escalate this, at least for the $100 guarantee. In this case I would consider contacting corporate to let them know how the hotel handled both guests (yours & the person who had booked the room)/dropped the ball.

Cheers.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by dank0014
Surprised, they asked me to come to the front desk where apparently according to the accessible guest who made a comment to me ("Thanks for taking an accessible room when you didn't need it. You're probably one of those people who park in handicap spots too.")
You are a much better man than I. I would have told the guest and perhaps the FD to all go F themselves at that point and headed back to bed...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
That is a disgrace that the FD told the other guests this was your fault instead of what actually happened - what right did the FD have giving away the accessible room to you when they knew someone had reserved it? Then to tell them you "took" it?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Just want to make sure the OP isn't talking about the Marriott Suites O'Hare. If not, maybe it's the water in Chicago. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...e-process.html
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ohmark
Just want to make sure the OP isn't talking about the Marriott Suites O'Hare. If not, maybe it's the water in Chicago. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...e-process.html
My guess is it's the full service Marriott ORD.

The Marriott Suites ORD in your link was pro-active, reached out to the guest in advance & paid the $100 w/ no problem. It didn't handle a situation badly & try to blame the guest.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The Marriott Suites ORD in your link was pro-active, reached out to the guest in advance & paid the $100 w/ no problem. It didn't handle a situation badly & try to blame the guest.
Sorry Sharon, I disagree. In fact, the only pro-active "reach out" the Marriott Suites (in the linked post) engaged in was to "proactively" offer the OP a fake upgrade in an effort to convince (read "trick him") into accepting a room without the double beds in his reservation. The hotel then "proactively" denied his request to keep his double bedded room rather than the fake upgrade without double beds. It was only thereafter, when the OP insisted on the guarantee, that the Marriott Suites complied. While giving them credit for complying with the guarantee once they were called on their less than forthright actions, IMO the Marriott Suites handled the situation with a lack of the sort of integrity one should expect from Marriott.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Wow..I didnt get the platinum welcome points posted at a Newark airport hotel and i was mailed a $100 check..You have to ask Customer Relations for it.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by joshua362
You are a much better man than I. I would have told the guest and perhaps the FD to all go F themselves at that point and headed back to bed...
Agreed! I'm usually calm, cool, and collected but I think this situation would have pushed me over the edge.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
For jerking you around this way, making you change rooms and subjecting you to the other guest's invective, they should comp you the night, too.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Feb 23, 2017 at 7:09 am Reason: Damn you, autocorrect.....
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
For jerking you around this way, making you change rooms and subjecting you to the other guest's invective, they should come you the night, too.
that would just be wrong...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
that would just be wrong...
I disagree. The front desk people threw him under the bus when they lied to the handicapped couple and tricked him into coming to the desk where they could confront him. That's really despicable, especially late at night.

I kind of agree that seeking the $100 because I got 2 queens instead of one King is probably something I wouldn't have bothered with, but the hotel has instituted this surprising guarantee, and they have to live with the consequences.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Sorry all forgot about the Marriott Suites near ORD. To bring clarity it is the FS Marriott O'hare across expressway from the Renaissance.

I left a voicemail for the manager on Friday last week and still haven't heard back thus why my post.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I disagree. The front desk people threw him under the bus when they lied to the handicapped couple and tricked him into coming to the desk where they could confront him. That's really despicable, especially late at night.

I kind of agree that seeking the $100 because I got 2 queens instead of one King is probably something I wouldn't have bothered with, but the hotel has instituted this surprising guarantee, and they have to live with the consequences.
Sorry, I was referring to your typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.