Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Boston Financial District REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2003, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLT, UA-Prem, BA-Silver, SPG-PLT, Hyatt-PLT, Hilton-GLD

Stayed in this hotel previously when it was still the Swisshotel. Just stayed there last nite for the first time as the new Hyatt (it switched in June I believe).

Obviously physically the hotel has not changed in such a short time (Hyatt sign is still a tarp out front hanging over the old sign). The "schtick" if you will with this hotel is that it is designed as a set of four story "mini-atriums" stacked on top of each other - they claim to make it feel like a more intimate hotel (whatever).

Bellman (which the Swisshotel only had sporadically) gave a warm greeting, directed to check-in (on the third floor). Only had to wait about 3 minutes for check-in (3 agents on duty at about 6 pm). Was warmly greeted and when I asked about possible upgrades was quickly told I had already been booked into a "Lafayette Suite".

Room was excellent (it's the XX01 series). Building has a bit of a weird shape and this room utilizes otherwise unusable space in one of the corners. Long hallway leads to a smallish living room area with a couch and chair and desk (as well as a bookcase with real books). Standard minibar and TV in here. French doors then lead into a triangular bedroom with the bed on the angled wall with a little "mini-canopy", also chair and usual TV armoire in here. Then almost a u-turn leads into a very large "pre-bathroom" area with a sink and the closet. Then typical bathroom although unusual shape.

Everything in the room has been rebranded Hyatt, with all the standard amenities and toiletries. They still have the dispensors on the wall for soap, shampoo and lotion left from the Swisshotel days.

Room service was quick, hot, pleasant and quite tasty.

Overall not the best in town but a great choice for somewhere to stay within walking distance of the financial district where you can earn points on a quick overnite to Boston.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 1:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyLots:
Overall not the best in town but a great choice for somewhere to stay within walking distance of the financial district where you can earn points on a quick overnite to Boston.</font>
My sentiment exactly. It's a decent place, and easier than staying across the bay near the airport.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 12:39 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked in, and thanks to the FT discussion paid extra for a larger corner room. Be aware that only a few floors have high speed internet access.

Not a bad hotel, but definitely needs renewal. Am sure hoping that the faded, rather large red spot on the carpet isn't dried blood (most of the rest of the spots are likely to have been created by more benign substances). Many of the in-room amenities (like soap and bathrobes) were missing and I had to request them. The minibar is permanently locked and not in use.

No upgrade offered, nor was one provided when I requested it. This hotel does not participate in 1-800 CHECKIN. I thought all domestic hotels did.

No RC, but they did offer an amenity (for next day delivery) and breakfast buffet tickets. I got here very late (thanks to having to go from RDU to Logan via ORD!) but what staff was on duty were friendly and helpful. Will be a pretty good hotel when the tired rooms are spruced up.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 6:44 am

Owing to the threat of the "massive nor'easter" which never materialized (as usual) I just spent two nights at this hotel in order to get to work early (Big Dig improvements really suck whenever there is precipitation). The Priceline $40 rate was great. The hotel is a little rundown and there was a leak from one of the round plugs in the bathroom ceiling. I complained about it yesterday morning but all they did while I was out for the day was to remove the towel which I had placed on the floor to prevent me from slipping in the puddle. Now I know why this hotel keeps changing hands and has always been controversal - it is badly designed.

[This message has been edited by BajanYankee (edited Mar 18, 2004).]
Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:16 pm

Just stayed there on Tuesday. Upgraded to a corner room - weird shape, seemed like it could have used more furniture.

Given a choice of diamond amenity, delivered at requested time. The bed was truly heavenly - similar to Westin's. Breakfast buffet coupon given - pretty good. Requested late check-out to 4 p.m. - granted without hesitation. Ate in at the Avenue One restaurant because of the snow - had the NY strip and clam chowder - pretty good. Overall a pretty good stay. Now have to wait for points to get posted.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 9:46 am

It might just have been my luck of the draw, but my 2 experiences with this hotel have been really nice.

On 1/31, I was given a suite with a small living room, bedroom, vanity area and bathroom. Sure, the furnishings might be starting to age, however everything was clean and upkept. As a Diamond I received my amenity (red wine and cheese) and 2 breakfast coupons - the breakfast is really, really nice (smoked salmon, cheeses, many fresh fruits, etc.).

On 2/6 I was there with my dad on a ski trip to NH, and service was again really nice. I called the hotel to let them know that we would be getting in around midnight. We got a nice double room with really plush down comforters, and the plat amenity (red and cheese, of course ) was waiting in the room. Our breakfast coupons and room key were already in an envelope waiting as we arrived at the reception.

BTW, free street-side parking is not a problem at night on the weekends.

Oh, and I forgot, $40/night on Priceline. WOW!
Old Apr 19, 2004, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I used to stay here when it was a Swissotel and thought it was a heckuva bargain via Priceline... well located, walk to Common and financial zone, and pretty comfortable... only issue used to be it was on a borderline block east of Washington with a lot of bombed-out vacant lots/derelict buildings/construction around it, but I presume that is changing now?
Old May 12, 2004, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Airport sold out

Given that the airport is sold out for the dates I'm looking at... what kind of taxi cab fare would I be looking at from Logan to the Hyatt?

Should I be looking at other areas of Boston or is the Financial District the "cheapest" airport access?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
stayed here a couple times here last week. a few things:
  • both stays were using PL. first time received a regular room just like all my previous stays. but the second time i received a junior suite even though my GP number wasn't on the reservation, very peculiar. i added it later and still received diamond amenity and breakfast coupons.
  • i love staying at this hotel. great service, walking distance to chinatown, and most importantly the price. but please, what's with the miniature TVs? you practically need an electron microscope to watch it.
  • someone was checking out beside me a few minutes before 11am on june 8th whose luggage had FT tags. i'm a shy person so didn't muster up enough courage to ask for a name, but if that was you it'd be nice to put a face to the FT handle
Old Jun 7, 2004, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Given that the airport is sold out for the dates I'm looking at... what kind of taxi cab fare would I be looking at from Logan to the Hyatt?
I think Logan cab fares are the highest in the United States. The hotel is only 3-4 miles from Logan, but with the ridiculously high extra charge the airport imposes (added to all the tunnel tolls for cabs), the cab fare could easily total $20 including tip by the time you get there.

Only ways to beat that are to take the T or the water taxi and then a cab. The hotel is right around the corner from a T station. I've forgotten which, but someone else will know!
Old Jun 7, 2004, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Only ways to beat that are to take the T or the water taxi and then a cab. The hotel is right around the corner from a T station. I've forgotten which, but someone else will know!
Chinatown, I believe is closest, and Downtown Crossing is only a small distance more.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'm trying to convince my taller half to stay here on the night of 7/2, but she is convinced that it will be hard to find parking, its in a dead zone and that since we're supposed to be near Framingham, that its better to stay in Wellesley.

Too bad Cambridge is 202 USD that night.

lala
Old Jun 8, 2004, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
Originally Posted by lalala
I'm trying to convince my taller half to stay here on the night of 7/2, but she is convinced that it will be hard to find parking, its in a dead zone and that since we're supposed to be near Framingham, that its better to stay in Wellesley.
i had no trouble getting a parking place on a side street during a weekday last week. had to get up at 8am to feed the meter though
Originally Posted by lalala
Too bad Cambridge is 202 USD that night.
HR cambridge accepts choice stay certs at $135 if you're willing to go that route.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 11:25 pm

I'll be in Boston for 3 nights starting on the 18th of July, and I was thinking of doing some Hyatt hopping for FFN.

Just a quick question about this property. Are there any rooms that they would give to a Diamond member that would easily accommodate a rollaway, plus two double beds? Or, are all the nicer, larger rooms outfitted with a king size bed??
Old Jul 3, 2004, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
jr suite not very big

I was here June 11th (friday night) and was with a friend. They gave me via 1800 checkin a jr suite. I asked for 2 doubles but got one king. This room was a basic room with a king bed, a chair, small table and thats it. I wasn't too impressed. No RC and they gave us b/f coupons which we didn't use.

I did like the location though.

I'd stay here again IF I was traveling solo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.