Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by csufabel
Keep posted regarding BART. Four of their five unions have approved a strike which could begin as early as July 1. They only have to give 72 hrs. notice.
Thanks for the heads up - that would suck - 8-9 hrs in SFO without lounge access and not an easy way to get to the city.

What alternatives are there besides Bart that would still be quick and affordable? And once I took Bart to Embarcado let's say, do I walk or take the Muni/Streetcar? Buy tux on board, at airport, or need quarters?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:44 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
http://www.bart.gov -- BART fares and schedule
http://www.sfmuni.com -- SF Muni fares and schedule
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Does SAMTRANS still run a bus from SFO to the Trans Bay Terminal (though if they do, and there's a BART strike, I imagine there'd be a battle for seats)?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by tom911
Does SAMTRANS still run a bus from SFO to the Trans Bay Terminal (though if they do, and there's a BART strike, I imagine there'd be a battle for seats)?
SamTrans has some advance plans in place, in case the strike occurs:

http://www.samtrans.com/news_2009_po...ike_06-26.html

IIRC, Route KX is the standard bus line for SFO to DT San Francisco service:

http://www.samtrans.com/pdf/Schedule...X_04-12-09.pdf
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
292 serves SFO, so does KX.

Alternatively, take a cab to Millbrae and take Caltrain from there. Caltrain runs on 30-min headways during midday hours. Timetable

Last time around there was a deal reached 2 hrs befor the strike was supposed to begin.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
if you want to go to the GG bridge

you might want to priceline a rent a car fr the 6 or so hours. Otherwise it'd be difficult on public transport.

For Fishermans Wharf, assuming BART is running, take BART to Embarcadero station and then the F historic Streetcar.

www.511.org

will help you plan a public transit trip
Old Jun 27, 2009, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by 5.9LITRE
Also, Im *G and US Chairman and arriving from an Intl flight and flying First on US to PHL - any way to get lounge access? I have US club comp passes but there's no US club and I bet the passes don't work in contract lounges.
People have seemed to skip this question.

Since you are coming in SYD-SFO, that will arrive at the International Terminal and you should then have access to the UA RCC there as *G with your same day International boarding pass.

Now the question is physically getting to it. How does arrivals work at SFO? I've never flown internationally from there.

BillJ
Old Jun 27, 2009, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by wcj1
People have seemed to skip this question.

Since you are coming in SYD-SFO, that will arrive at the International Terminal and you should then have access to the UA RCC there as *G with your same day International boarding pass.

Now the question is physically getting to it. How does arrivals work at SFO? I've never flown internationally from there.

BillJ
Apparently sometimes you can get to airside with a BP not for the G gates, but there are no guarantees. Maybe a nice FTer is flying out on AS (airside lounge) or CO or DL (landside lounges) near US and you can make a friend?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Apparently sometimes you can get to airside with a BP not for the G gates, but there are no guarantees. Maybe a nice FTer is flying out on AS (airside lounge) or CO or DL (landside lounges) near US and you can make a friend?
You can get airside with any UA or AA BP, as G gates are connected to T3.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:38 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I'm doing a UA DEQM MR on Tuesday 11/3. Land at SFO at 1pm, leave later that night at 11:40pm

I'd like to visit Alcatraz or other National Parks, perhaps ride a cable car, see the Golden Gate Bridge, have dinner in Chinatown.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:56 am

Need advice on layover in SFO

Need some advice

I have a reasonably long layover in SFO, arriving on BA in International Terminal and departing on United in Terminal 3. 10 hours in economy on BA, another 5 hours in economy on United!

Is there a good place to rest without leaving the airport? Is the United Red Carpet Club worth paying the $50 one time entry fee?

Many thanks for your thoughts
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by geraldtancw
Is the United Red Carpet Club worth paying the $50 one time entry fee?
Not in my opinion. It's not even worth the $35 you can get it for online.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:02 am

Well, from the UA flight time you mention, it sounds like you're going to Hawaii, so I don't know if you're suffering all that much ;-).

That said, the RCCs at SFO are relatively nice (compared to others in the system). You will have two to choose from, one in the int'l terminal and another in the domestic one. I don't know if you can shuttle between them, but if you're in the airport for more than 4 hours I would call it a decent deal.

However, I do not know if you get internet access with the day pass.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by elitelite
RCCs at SFO are relatively nice (compared to others in the system).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_with_faint_praise
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by geraldtancw
Need some advice

I have a reasonably long layover in SFO, arriving on BA in International Terminal and departing on United in Terminal 3. 10 hours in economy on BA, another 5 hours in economy on United!

Is there a good place to rest without leaving the airport? Is the United Red Carpet Club worth paying the $50 one time entry fee?

Many thanks for your thoughts
How long is your layover and have you been to San Francisco before? Time-permitting and if you're not absolutely exhausted I recommend taking BART to the Embarcadero stop (45 minutes from the airport) and walking around the waterfront.

Have a safe trip. You'll love Hawaii!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.