Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fbrdky
Not sure if I should post here or Food tours in SFO but what are some "can't miss" restaurants in SFO?
Bakery: I've heard of Maison Nico, Tartine, Craftsman and Wolves,
Seafood: I've heard of Hog Island Oysters, Swan Oyster Depot. Is SOD really worth the wait in line?
In addition to Hog Island, Tadich is an SF classic for seafood.
R&G Lounge for traditional Cantonese.
I felt Maison Nico was really overrated (and very annoying rules). Arsicault is excellent, especially the kouign-amann.
I would not miss Tony's for pizza.
I don't otherwise consider SF to be particularly good for Italian.
fbrdky likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:02 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by Kacee
In addition to Hog Island, Tadich is an SF classic for seafood.
R&G Lounge for traditional Cantonese.
I felt Maison Nico was really overrated (and very annoying rules). Arsicault is excellent, especially the kouign-amann.
I would not miss Tony's for pizza.
I don't otherwise consider SF to be particularly good for Italian.
Just came back from SFO. Yes, Maison Nico is a bit overrated. We found Le Marais to be better the MN.

Last edited by fbrdky; Apr 17, 2024 at 12:39 pm
Old Apr 21, 2024, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fbrdky
Just came back from SFO. Yes, Maison Nico is a bit overrated. We found Le Marais to be better the MN.
We just discovered ONE65 on O'Farrell next to Ellis O'Farrell garage. Best croissant I've had in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.