Search

In-n-out outside Oakland airport is closing due to high number of crimes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
In-n-out outside Oakland airport is closing due to high number of crimes

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/ar...t-18610993.php

I am going to move my upcoming OAK flights to SFO instead...
Old Jan 24, 2024, 1:33 am
bdh

Programs: DL PM, UA PM
Originally Posted by Daytona
https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/ar...t-18610993.php

I am going to move my upcoming OAK flights to SFO instead...
The main thing is to not stop anywhere on Hegenberger or 98th between the airport and 880. After that you're back to the regular (i.e., still quite high) Bay Area risk of a smash-and-grab.
squeakr likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 1:43 am
mjm
Original Member

Shame. I used to go there all the time when visiting for Raiders games. See what their leaving has done. Again, shame.
SPN Lifer and ryw like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by bdh
The main thing is to not stop anywhere on Hegenberger or 98th between the airport and 880. After that you're back to the regular (i.e., still quite high) Bay Area risk of a smash-and-grab.
Indeed. Reports are pretty bad about that stretch of road. I think most reports of crime risk in Oakland are overblown, but right now I would also advise everyone not to stop anywhere between I-880 and the OAK airport. Fuel up a rental car somewhere else before returning.

BART between OAK to the Coliseum station remains a safe and reliable option.
SPN Lifer and ucdtim17 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 11:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And now Denny's is closing for the same reason. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...e-18640790.php

I wish I could agree with those suggesting that this is a limited problem, impacting only the area surrounding the airport. To me, it's a manifestation of the "broken windows" phenomenon, and if it's not checked immediately, we will see the lawlessness spread beyond the 98th Ave and Hegenberger corridors (in many ways, it already has).

What's happening in this area is a deeply troubling breakdown in the rule of law, and the lack of meaningful response by politicians and law enforcement is in many ways even more troubling.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and nnn like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'm not one to focus on doom and gloom from mainstream news, but

From my limited observation of having many friends who live in Oakland, I think the crime situation is getting worse and worse throughout. I know a number of people who have been attacked at gunpoint, one very seriously. It's the same friends I've known for years, who have lived there for years, so I think there's definitely a problem that's not being attended to.
nnn likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It's the natural result of decades of neglect, exacerbated by Prop 47, the pandemic, defund police, mentally ill and addicts roaming the streets, and inaction by local and state government.

I'm enjoying watching the crash and burn as there continues to be denial of the reality at the highest levels and zero progress towards effective solutions. Eventually there will be no services in these areas. In the meantime I'd advise visitors to avoid stopping in certain areas in Oakland.
squeakr and minhaoxue like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K, southwest A+, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire ambassador
Originally Posted by bdh
I can attest to the dangers of stopping on Hegenberger. Two weeks ago was getting gas at the Union station and was robbed at about 8:30 at night.
SPN Lifer and nnn like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I'm enjoying watching the crash and burn
I'm sorry, but that's just messed up.
ucdtim17 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:37 pm
mjm
Original Member

Crazy. For years, the official Raider Booster Club of which I was the International Director stayed in the motels right there on Edes Ave. between In 'n Out and Denny's. Just crazy. We walked to games, to local food spots etc. Never any hassle. Of course put of town people always thought we were nuts but it was like mother's milk to us. We were very safe there as part of Raider Nation. No way would I set up shop at those motels now.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Boraxo
It's the natural result of decades of neglect, exacerbated by Prop 47, the pandemic, defund police, mentally ill and addicts roaming the streets, and inaction by local and state government.

I'm enjoying watching the crash and burn as there continues to be denial of the reality at the highest levels and zero progress towards effective solutions. Eventually there will be no services in these areas. In the meantime I'd advise visitors to avoid stopping in certain areas in Oakland.
(Bolding mine)

This "Prop 47" nonsense has come up again and again. As I've noted before, the felony theft threshold of $950 has been on the books in CA for about ten years, AND it is actually lower than forty of the fifty states, where it ranges from $1,000 to $2,500. (The states where it's $2,500 are TX and WI.) Rather than finger-pointing at one particular law, it makes sense to look at all the pieces of the whole system. There are those who advocate lowering the felony theft threshold to something much lower than $950, but that will not magically increase enforcement.

As for "enjoying watching the crash and burn," as well as blaming people who live in Oakland (from a different post), that is really disgusting.

(Of course, this whole discussion belongs in OMNI/PR.)
Old Feb 2, 2024, 7:26 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SoCaltravel
I can attest to the dangers of stopping on Hegenberger. Two weeks ago was getting gas at the Union station and was robbed at about 8:30 at night.
I had my rental car window smashed and briefcase stolen parked 100 feet from the In-N-Out. The thugs left my suitcase.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:46 am
Community Director Emerita

Asking from naivete. My husband is flying into Oakland, renting a car, heading to a business meeting north of San Francisco, then staying at the Waterfront Hotel and ultimately returning his car to the Oakland Airport. Should I rebook the entire trip and have him fly in and out of SFO?
goodgirl and gaobest like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Asking from naivete. My husband is flying into Oakland, renting a car, heading to a business meeting north of San Francisco, then staying at the Waterfront Hotel and ultimately returning his car to the Oakland Airport. Should I rebook the entire trip and have him fly in and out of SFO?
No, that is fine. Don't gas up on Hegenberger, and don't leave anything in the car when parked on city streets and he'll be fine.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
(Bolding mine)

This "Prop 47" nonsense has come up again and again. As I've noted before, the felony theft threshold of $950 has been on the books in CA for about ten years, AND it is actually lower than forty of the fifty states, where it ranges from $1,000 to $2,500. (The states where it's $2,500 are TX and WI.) Rather than finger-pointing at one particular law, it makes sense to look at all the pieces of the whole system. There are those who advocate lowering the felony theft threshold to something much lower than $950, but that will not magically increase enforcement.

As for "enjoying watching the crash and burn," as well as blaming people who live in Oakland (from a different post), that is really disgusting.

(Of course, this whole discussion belongs in OMNI/PR.)
The only reason the rate is "lower" is that most crimes are unreported because, what's the point when there is zero prosecution by SF, Alameda, CoCo, LA and other DAs. And for those reported most are dismissed or not prosecuted.

The only proof you need are the daily media reports - and I mean every day - in print and TV media - which are also supplemented by social media videos showing crime as it occurs. You do not see this from rural Idaho or other communities where laws against theft are enforced and prosecuted.

The $950 is a false flag. It is 100% about broken windows prosecution as Giuliani and Bratton demonstrated in the 1990s (before RG went batty). I am not suggesting we send everyone to prison for 5 years but a month in jail would be a good start. As well as community service cleaning toilets in nursing homes or the like. Something that takes the joy out of running off with nikes.

And just for the record I'm not laughing at the victims - if I had the time and inclination I'd be sitting out there with a shotgun to deter these miscreants. I'm laughing at the idiots who enthusiastically supported the politicians who brought this misery upon the state. You get what you vote for and from what I see there will be zero improvement as they keep voting for the same idiots. And yes we are definitely in OmniPR territory
minhaoxue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.