FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - In-n-out outside Oakland airport is closing due to high number of crimes
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:55 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
(Bolding mine)

This "Prop 47" nonsense has come up again and again. As I've noted before, the felony theft threshold of $950 has been on the books in CA for about ten years, AND it is actually lower than forty of the fifty states, where it ranges from $1,000 to $2,500. (The states where it's $2,500 are TX and WI.) Rather than finger-pointing at one particular law, it makes sense to look at all the pieces of the whole system. There are those who advocate lowering the felony theft threshold to something much lower than $950, but that will not magically increase enforcement.

As for "enjoying watching the crash and burn," as well as blaming people who live in Oakland (from a different post), that is really disgusting.

(Of course, this whole discussion belongs in OMNI/PR.)
The only reason the rate is "lower" is that most crimes are unreported because, what's the point when there is zero prosecution by SF, Alameda, CoCo, LA and other DAs. And for those reported most are dismissed or not prosecuted.

The only proof you need are the daily media reports - and I mean every day - in print and TV media - which are also supplemented by social media videos showing crime as it occurs. You do not see this from rural Idaho or other communities where laws against theft are enforced and prosecuted.

The $950 is a false flag. It is 100% about broken windows prosecution as Giuliani and Bratton demonstrated in the 1990s (before RG went batty). I am not suggesting we send everyone to prison for 5 years but a month in jail would be a good start. As well as community service cleaning toilets in nursing homes or the like. Something that takes the joy out of running off with nikes.

And just for the record I'm not laughing at the victims - if I had the time and inclination I'd be sitting out there with a shotgun to deter these miscreants. I'm laughing at the idiots who enthusiastically supported the politicians who brought this misery upon the state. You get what you vote for and from what I see there will be zero improvement as they keep voting for the same idiots. And yes we are definitely in OmniPR territory