Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
If you decide to follow the excellent suggestions above to go to SF, be sure to check the weather forecast (or look out the window on approach). We've just entered the winter storm season, so depending on when you get here, walking around outside might not be a pleasant experience. Then again, if you compare it ORD, you're probably still going to enjoy it
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:00 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
7 hour connection time, 2 hours for CBP and re-checking of your luggage gives you 5. take the BART downtown somewhere, you've got 2.5-3 hours, assuming you're not a man that likes to take chances with security lineups

RAOUL!!!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Then again, if you compare it ORD, you're probably still going to enjoy it
Hah! yes, I love walking around watching all the fools wearing scarves. SF is hardly one of the coldest areas of the country. One can walk between clubs and wait in line in a nice t-shirt, whereas ORD you have to bundle up just to walk next door.

I vote popping into the city if you don't catch an earlier flight. Even on a gloomy day SF is a lot of fun. Go ride a cable car! Pop over to Alcatraz (ok, that would probably cut things close)! Meet some of the nice local FTers!

Dunno why people are slamming on the SFO RCC, it has some of the nicest matrons (an undeserving name by association only), and it's not as if it's a Ritz at only $300/year. Certainly one of the nicest in the system.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by rjque
My suggestion would be to take Bart to the Embarcadero Station and then walk to the Ferry Building for some shopping and grazing. This is an even better idea if your travel is on a Sunday - there's a huge farmer's market with lots of interesting food to try.
I certainly don't claim to be an expert on SF, but if you like rotisserie chicken, Mistral Rotisserie in the Ferry Building is wonderful. If the weather is good, you can eat outside and watch the ferries come and go.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you did want to use the RCC, for whatever reason, there is only one choice. The one in the domestic terminal.

Also, there is no RCC in NGO, and only a contracted lounge, where your pass would not be good anyway.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Head into the city on BART and visit Union Sq. and Ferry Building. You also have enuff time to probably go thru Chinatown too.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Head into the city on BART and visit Union Sq. and Ferry Building. You also have enuff time to probably go thru Chinatown too.
Union Square isn't all that interesting.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wsflyer
I certainly don't claim to be an expert on SF, but if you like rotisserie chicken, Mistral Rotisserie in the Ferry Building is wonderful. If the weather is good, you can eat outside and watch the ferries come and go.
I love Mistral! There's almost nothing better than potatoes roasted under the rotating chickens.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by wsflyer
------------
You can go to the Castro and watch them too!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
-----------
Well, there is Victoria's Secret. ^
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't think so either, but you know a lot of people love to shop and browse.

I'd rather go to the Asian Art Museum and SFMOMA if I was down near Market.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rjque
I love Mistral! There's almost nothing better than potatoes roasted under the rotating chickens.
I'll have to try that. I usually go to Portico (Mission and First) for chicken.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA (PLT) / CO (because I fly non-stop SFO-CDG on Air France) / UA (sometimes)
Definitely make your way into the city. SFO really isn't that far from downtown. Here a few suggestions when you're there:
1) SF MOMA: http://www.sfmoma.org/
2) De Young Museum (it's in Golden Gate Park, cab it or bus it from downtown): http://www.thinker.org/deyoung/
3) Ferry Building: http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/
4) Shopping? Union Square area;
5) Walk up to Coit tower for a beautiful view of the bay: http://www.thinker.org/deyoung/
6) And if you're hardcore, rent a bike a cross the GG bridge: http://www.blazingsaddles.com/
Old Dec 13, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Yes, definitely the Ferry Building Marketplace. While you are there, pop into the Hyatt Regency Hotel and take in the Christmas ginger bread decorations.
When you are hungry and feel like having Italian, try the Umbria (2nd @ Mission), not far from the Hyatt. Skip Union Square unless you need to do some shopping.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by kharma99
2) De Young Museum (it's in Golden Gate Park, cab it or bus it from downtown): http://www.thinker.org/deyoung/
It was a beautiful building before they tore it down and replaced it with this monstrosity of modern architorture.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Dec 14, 2006 at 5:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.