Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Sludge82
SSSS????
"Special" attention from the screeners. Not quite as intrusive as a BCS (body cavity search).
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:17 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I think that immigrations is far more of an issue than customs.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 1:18 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Moved the San Francisco forum for the sake of future searching.

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Nov 19, 2006, 6:45 pm

Programs: NW Plat, HH Gold
Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread [merged threads]

I have a 10 hour layover at SFO this week during a mileage run land 2:35 with redeye at 12:30 Am on NW.

Any suggestions reagrding how to kill 10 hours near or in SFO?

Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2006, 7:16 pm

There are actually quite a few threads about how to kill time in and around SFO. Here is one of my favorite threads about things to do in SF. You might have to use some cleverness, but search out the SF board, and maybe even the UA board, and you should find other recommendations...10 hours should allow you enough time to do almost anything you want

Edited: ALso, check out this FT feature, which should make your searching a bit easier...threads 381, 500, and 507 might be particularly relevant

Last edited by ButIsItArt; Nov 19, 2006 at 7:22 pm
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:34 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I may be a little unusual in this regard, but (particularly if it is a weekend) I'd probably priceline a hotel south of the airport and catch a good long nap and have dinner at Kincaids
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA GLD; UA 2P; HHonors GLD; SPG
Seven Hour Layover in SFO -- Where To Go? + Transfer Questions

Hello!

I have a one-time-use RCC pass in my hands.

I'll be flying TPE-NGO-SFO-ORD.

I have a seven hour layover in SFO.
**EDIT: I miscalculated. I get in around 8am and leave 5pm, so it's actually a nine hour layover.**

Questions:

1. When I arrive, I'll arrive in the international terminal, correct?

2. I'm assuming I'll need to pick up my luggage immediately (for Customs). Do I need to take my luggage over to the domestic terminal, or is there somewhere I can drop them off in the international terminal?

3. I've read that there are multiple RCCs at SFO. Which one should I go to?

If someone experienced with SFO could help me work out a time line of when I should be where, that would be immensely helpful (i.e. proceed to Customs immediately upon disembarking the plane, take care of luggage at XYZ point, find ABC RCC, hang out there for five hours, go to domestic terminal one hour prior to flight departure time).

Thank you!

P.S. Is the one-time-use RCC pass truly one-time-use, or can I use it at both the NGO RCC and SFO RCC, provided I'll be passing through them consecutively? It'd be nice to have somewhere to stay during my 1-2 hour layover in NGO.

Last edited by FlyingToFly; Dec 13, 2006 at 2:45 pm
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FlyingToFly
  1. When I arrive, I'll arrive in the international terminal, correct?
  2. I'm assuming I'll need to pick up my luggage immediately (for Customs). Do I need to take my luggage over to the domestic terminal, or is there somewhere I can drop them off in the international terminal?
  3. I've read that there are multiple RCCs at SFO. Which one should I go to?
  1. Yes.
  2. I believe you need to take them over to the domestic terminal to get re-checked. It's not far, though.
  3. None of the above. If you're in SF for seven hours, take BART into the city, get some good food, and look around!

Originally Posted by FlyingToFly
Is the one-time-use RCC pass truly one-time-use, or can I use it at both the NGO RCC and SFO RCC, provided I'll be passing through them consecutively?
Yes, it is truly a one-time use card.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:07 pm
zac

I would leave the airport. I have never had a layover in SFO since that is where I depart from, but I did have to wait 6 hours for a flight after dropping someone off for an earlier flight. In this case my brother and I spent our time at Artichoke Joes which is a poker room about a couple miles away ^. If you like cards give it a try! They are also open 24/7 so if you are there at weird hours it may help.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with mahasamatman. A layover of that length will allow you to take Bart to downtown SF to get some good food and then head back to the airport with plenty of time for your connection. My suggestion would be to take Bart to the Embarcadero Station and then walk to the Ferry Building for some shopping and grazing. This is an even better idea if your travel is on a Sunday - there's a huge farmer's market with lots of interesting food to try.

If you stay at SFO, your only option will be the domestic RCC, which leaves much to be desired when compared to pretty much every international club and most other airlines' domestic clubs. It's big, but it's crowded, has limited food, no free drinks, no showers, dirty restrooms and numerous loud guys talking on their cell phones about their Q4 sales numbers. I'd skip it in favor of using the NGO RCC and then heading into SF for your layover at SFO.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by rjque
My suggestion would be to take Bart to the Embarcadero Station and then walk to the Ferry Building for some shopping and grazing.
If you decide to do that, and it's a weekday, drop me a line - I work across the street from the Ferry Building.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you don't want to go into town, you have the option of standing by for an earlier ORD flight
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
2. I believe you need to take [bags] over to the domestic terminal to get re-checked. It's not far, though.
When I last arrived at SFO from Sydney, there was a baggage recheck in the international terminal just after customs, on the left iirc, before walking over to the north terminal. I suppose it might not always be staffed, but there were three friendly guys with a CTX and a conveyor, ready to snag a tagged bag and send them on their way.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Definetely recommend going into the city...I had a three hour layover at SFO once, managed to get into the city, grab a bite to eat, and make it back with time to spare to catch my flight. BART is a 30 minute ride into San Francisco, with schedules available online, so it's pretty easy to plan out, down to which train to catch.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
7 hour layover? Heck, you can get *2* meals in that time. SFO-S.F. proper is a breeze on BART. If you want Mexican/Central American, get off at 24th St./Mission. Indian - 16th St or Powell. Any other cuisines, get off downtown at either Monty or Emby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.