Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I disagree - I think there is enough time to do the Ferry Building. It is a 32 minute ride on BART to/from SFO to the Embarcadero station. You might only have 1.5-2 hours at the Ferry Building, but that is plenty to grab a bite to eat and look around the area. I recommend researching on Yelp.com (address is 1 Ferry Building) and finding a restaurant that allows to go foods and grab a bite outside and enjoy the vistas, unless of course it's raining...

Also - Fisherman's Wharf and the area around, IMHO, is not at all charming. It is just a bunch of junk shops and mostly really bad food. And it'll be challenging to get there in your timeframe.

Last edited by CApreppie; Jan 3, 2012 at 2:24 pm Reason: Add'l thoughts
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:31 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I was guessing....

arrive 11:15, thru customs etc by 12, still need to recheck luggage, re checkin by 4:30. I agree Ferry Building is do-able if all goes well but not FW.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ferry building is totally doable. Just make sure you know what train you need to be on to get back on time, and then take the one before that.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:02 am

Thank you all. Depending on how fast I get out of immigration, I'll try my luck with the train and the Ferry Building.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:18 am

7 Hour Connection in SFO

In early April, we are flying into SFO and then connecting to a flight to Sydney, Australia late in the evening. Our connection time is about 7 hours, we arrive at 3:30pm. As we fly in from Canada we presumably have to go through Immigration, especially if we plan to leave the airport.

It is several years since we have been to SF and are looking for suggestions. Thinking we can take the Bart downtown but need confirmation this makes sense and info on where we should get off and what to do.

We will be in Business Class but this is too long in the lounge!!!
PS The reason for the bad timing is that this was available as reward travel and is the most direct routing.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi john2003,

Also if you are arriving from Canada you will need to clear customs and immigration in Canada prior to boarding your SFO flight ( so allow time for that).

Once in SFO the flight is treated as a domestic flight and you do not have to clear customs and immigration and you can just follow signs for the exit and baggage reclaim to leave the airport ( you will need to clear security again once back at SFO)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Long connection in SFO, what to do?

I'm thinking of getting a long domestic connection at SFO so i can go out and visit the city. How many hours would I need to just get the BART to visit Alcatraz?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
How many hours are required to visit Alcatraz? I'll be flying domestic and am flexible on connection time.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GodAtum
How many hours are required to visit Alcatraz? I'll be flying domestic and am flexible on connection time.
The better part of a day, plus you may need to buy a ticket in advance for your boat ride.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:39 pm

7.5 Hour Layover in SFO. Enough Time to See the Sights?

Here's the scoop:

Near the end of June, I arrive into SFO at 15:16 on a flight from Canada and my next scheduled flight (UA863 to Sydney) leaves at 22:45. Will I have enough time to head into San Francisco in that 7.5 hour window. I don't know if it's relavent, but I have an F class ticket on my flight to Sydney. Does SFO have a priority security line?

Also, will customs be a problem? I'm flying on a Canadian passport and will have gone through US customs prior to departing to SFO. I'm worried I'll be forced to be confined in the airport as an "in transit" person or something. :S

TL;DR 7.5 hours in SFO. Do I have enough time to go into San Francisco?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Regarding customs arriving from Canada, all the major Canadian airports have U.S. immigration and customs pre-clearance, meaning that you go through U.S. immigration and customs before you get on your plane in Canada.

U.S. immigration and customs pre-clearance is at Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg.

Once you have arrived, you can take a cab or BART to San Francisco. Either will take you about 30 minutes. If there is traffic, a cab could take up to an hour.

So if you arrive at 3:15 PM (assuming you are on time), you should be able to get in your cab or in the BART train by 3:45 PM or 4 PM, at the latest.

That means you would be in downtown San Francisco by about 4:30 PM.

In order to be back in time for your 10:45 PM to SYD, you need to plan to be back at the terminal by 9:15 PM, so you should plan to leave S.F. by 8:30 PM.

That would still give you 4 hours in the city, which I think is plenty. You can easily get around by walking or taking the pretty good public transportation (muni trolleys, buses or the cable car).
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by weebz
Here's the scoop:

Near the end of June, I arrive into SFO at 15:16 on a flight from Canada and my next scheduled flight (UA863 to Sydney) leaves at 22:45. Will I have enough time to head into San Francisco in that 7.5 hour window. I don't know if it's relavent, but I have an F class ticket on my flight to Sydney. Does SFO have a priority security line?

Also, will customs be a problem? I'm flying on a Canadian passport and will have gone through US customs prior to departing to SFO. I'm worried I'll be forced to be confined in the airport as an "in transit" person or something. :S

TL;DR 7.5 hours in SFO. Do I have enough time to go into San Francisco?
7.5 hours plenty of time to see things. No customs problems, once you are in the US, you are in the US; don't have to do any "in transit" thing. Yes, there is a priority security line, sometimes the regular line is faster. Only issue is you arrive at rush hour, San Fran is know for slow traffic at rush hour. Coming back you will be past rush hour, no problem. I assume you want to go to downtown. You could rent a car, take the airtan to rental center; very easy to do. Or take a cab downtown, easy but expensive. Do have dinner at Fishermans Wharf; good food and lots of locally brewed beer.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pbuntrock
7.5 hours plenty of time to see things. No customs problems, once you are in the US, you are in the US; don't have to do any "in transit" thing. Yes, there is a priority security line, sometimes the regular line is faster. Only issue is you arrive at rush hour, San Fran is know for slow traffic at rush hour. Coming back you will be past rush hour, no problem. I assume you want to go to downtown. You could rent a car, take the airtan to rental center; very easy to do. Or take a cab downtown, easy but expensive. Do have dinner at Fishermans Wharf; good food and lots of locally brewed beer.
He should take BART, easily the best option, cheapest, quickest, and fastest, even if getting to the BART station at the airport is a little inconvenient.

It's $8.10 each way and while it gets crowded at rush hour, it's not going to be affected by rush hour traffic.

Plus, in the afternoon rush hour (at 4 PM) the OP would be going against the flow of commuter traffic, so getting a seat should be no problem.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:12 pm

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the quick replies!! I'm probably going to take the BART downtown and just walk around, find some place to have a good dinner, and maybe grab a coffee before heading back to the airport. I'll probably start heading back around 20:00 or 20:30 so I can enjoy the F lounge before boarding.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Definitely take BART when you arrive during rush hour. On the return to the airport you can still take BART but the train frequency will be less than during rush hour so make sure to plan ahead on when to get back to the airport. On your arrival (which will most likely be in the domestic terminal) and exiting security there will be about a 5-10 minute walk to BART. If you come back via BART you will be steps away from the international security you will need to clear for the SYD flight.

Also you may find this thread useful re:getting to BART

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...ove-these.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.