Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: UA Prem Exec, HHonors Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

what/where should explore?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Depends on what you're looking for, but that's plenty of time to hop on the BART and go downtown to either Powell St (Union Square) or Embarcadero (plenty of good places to grab food, walk around ferry buildling, etc.). Would also recommend wandering around the Mission or heading out to downtown Berkeley.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: UA1K; AA EXP
Or rent a car to drive down to Golden Gate and water front area...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by bigsmalls
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

what/where should explore?
BART is $8+ each way into the city. in 8 hours you can see about 4.5-5 hours worth of things.

I just did about 7 hours and we did the following.

Off the BART at Powell. Lunch at R&G Lounge in Chinatown (as seen on No Reservations ((available on netflix))) for their Salt and Pepper Dungeness Crab.

From there walk to the water. Check out the piers and sights. Walk around to pier 39 (tourist trap area, but if you've not been, its worth 1 visit)

Then into Northbeach for another meal at one of the italian places and walk back to the BART to the airport.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage; United Mileage Plus
How about a tour at Anchor Brewing?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by 575rider
How about a tour at Anchor Brewing?
Do they do those on days besides Friday now?

I would highly recommend this to anyone who has not. Last time I did it we had a 20 minute tour and about 2 hour tasting. Well worth it.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
I say go into town as well, but I'd say take the bus - BART is ridiculously expensive!

Or take a shuttle bus down to Millbrae (free) and then go to In-N-Out or get some candy at See's (I miss the SFO location)...or rent a car, but that too is very expensive!

-jeremy
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by kmfdm91
I say go into town as well, but I'd say take the bus - BART is ridiculously expensive!

Or take a shuttle bus down to Millbrae (free) and then go to In-N-Out or get some candy at See's (I miss the SFO location)...or rent a car, but that too is very expensive!

-jeremy
What bus would you be taking and what is the cost?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If I were you, I will rather rent a car instead.

- BART is so expensive...$16.20 RT from SFO to Downtown San Francisco.

- Time can be better managed (BART tends to have problem when you need it the most)
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:24 am

Take BART to Powell St station and wonder around Union Square area, then walk down Market and check out the Ferry Building (eat at The Slanted Door if you can get in), take a streetcar from the Ferry Bldg around the waterfront/wharf to the Buena Vista for an Irish coffee. Take a cable car ride up Hyde back to Union Square.

Other worthwhile areas are North Beach, Marina/Chestnut St., Cow Hollow/Union Street.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by garykung
If I were you, I will rather rent a car instead.

- BART is so expensive...$16.20 RT from SFO to Downtown San Francisco.

- Time can be better managed (BART tends to have problem when you need it the most)
I agree BART is expensive, but parking in the popular areas of the city is also very expensive. Also the traffic can be very bad from to/from SFO depending to the time of day if you are driving.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Car rentals are not that expensive

for a one day thing, should be about $40.00 max, depending if you can get a discount coupon. However, parking is ridiculously expensive. We had a 7hr layover this past weekend and spent time in the Wharf area, you can get 3 hours free with a local Wharf area restaurant validation, after that is $2.50 for every 20 minutes. That is enough time to eat, buy bread a Boudin's and see the seals on Pier 39. If you decide to rent a car and park, double check where you are parking, the Wharf parking area only gets validation from the local restarurants/crabstands, Aliotto, Fishermans Grotto, etc. other parking lots will give you 1 hr free if you shop at their sponsors, with a $5 minimun purchase, after that it is $2 for every 20 minutes.

Taking a bus may not be a bad idea overall, if you include the parking.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Agree that BART is the way to go. Parking anywhere downtown will run you $6+ per hour up to a max of $30+.

While taking the bus may be able to shave off half of the cost of BART, there's nothing worse than being stuck on the 101 or 280 in traffic and having to worry about making your flight. Given that you only have 8 hours total, to me it'd be worth the extra cost.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P
If you try to visit SF city, take BART; if you want to just drive around, let's say, golden gate, fisherman's warf, or even down to Stanford, rent a car.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec, HHonors Diamond
Thanks very much for the good ideas. I ended up getting a car and checking out the golden gate bridge, downtown and the millbrae area. Ate lunch at Toto's Pizza?? Nice city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.