FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:52 pm
pbuntrock

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by weebz
Here's the scoop:

Near the end of June, I arrive into SFO at 15:16 on a flight from Canada and my next scheduled flight (UA863 to Sydney) leaves at 22:45. Will I have enough time to head into San Francisco in that 7.5 hour window. I don't know if it's relavent, but I have an F class ticket on my flight to Sydney. Does SFO have a priority security line?

Also, will customs be a problem? I'm flying on a Canadian passport and will have gone through US customs prior to departing to SFO. I'm worried I'll be forced to be confined in the airport as an "in transit" person or something. :S

TL;DR 7.5 hours in SFO. Do I have enough time to go into San Francisco?
7.5 hours plenty of time to see things. No customs problems, once you are in the US, you are in the US; don't have to do any "in transit" thing. Yes, there is a priority security line, sometimes the regular line is faster. Only issue is you arrive at rush hour, San Fran is know for slow traffic at rush hour. Coming back you will be past rush hour, no problem. I assume you want to go to downtown. You could rent a car, take the airtan to rental center; very easy to do. Or take a cab downtown, easy but expensive. Do have dinner at Fishermans Wharf; good food and lots of locally brewed beer.