Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
This information is expert advice on where to look and how to save on Alamo rental rates.
  • Some coupon codes are stackable with a Contract ID.
  • AutoSlash is one website for getting quotes on rentals and tracking price drops.
  • Government Employees can use the code "GOVBIZ" for a discount
  • Memberships in certain organizations can receive reduced rates:
    • CostCo
    • BJ's
    • AARP
    • LATAM
Print Wikipost

Alamo Discount Codes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:57 pm

I understand this code AD2338FDF you have to pay with a Visa card.. Are there any codes for Mastercard?

Currently using my costco card and a $15 off coupon that I found for a rental in September (FLL) -

Or maybe there are some $20, 25, 30 promo codes I could use?

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:16 pm

Make 2 reservations?

I am going to Miami in October and need to rent a car for a few hours to drive to Key West. The regular rate is about $90, yet the L*F rate is $30. Can I just make both reservations (one in my name and one in my wife's). When I get there try and use the $30 one and if they decline then use the $90 one?

I understand the risks on insurance....

Are there really no penalties for a "no show"? So, if they honor the $30 rate, the other reservation for $90 just "goes away"?

Also, as far as the risk on insurance, in all cases wouldn't my GEICO insurance kick in if I get declined for coverage by Alamo?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:20 pm

Just a newbie question. Those coupon codes that give you a $10/$20/$30/$XX discount, is this in the FINAL price or daily based?

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:55 pm

Anyone have any coupons good for June 2016? Do they come out this early?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:04 am

Any codes I can use for a week rental in Florida? The ad2338fdf does take $30 off nut gives me about the same price as a weekly rental.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Yes, but it will be on a secondary basis to any existing coverage you might have (such as through your personal auto insurance company).

If you do not have auto insurance that covers collision to a rental car, then the credit card would in effect be your primary source of coverage.

Quote from the website you linked to:
I know the rental company will also bill you for their lost of the time period which they can't rent the car because you crashed it. Will visa also cover that or just the expenses to fix the car?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by xiaojunjun
I know the rental company will also bill you for their lost of the time period which they can't rent the car because you crashed it. Will visa also cover that or just the expenses to fix the car?
It depends on the card you have.

I have a platinum Visa that comes with primary CDW and also covers loss of use. I suspect most cards that have primary insurance might have this feature. You may want to read your card policy regarding rental insurance to see what all is covered.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj

I have a platinum Visa that comes with primary CDW and also covers loss of use. I suspect most cards that have primary insurance might have this feature. You may want to read your card policy regarding rental insurance to see what all is covered.
Thank you. I found out from my chase freedom (which a visa platinum) benefits. It says "this benefit will pay for the outstanding deductible portion or other charges, including valid administration and loss-of-use charges not covered by your applicable automobile insurance policy."
So it covers loss of use.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:11 am

Alamo one-way charge

Hi everyone,

I made an reservation from Alamo: pick up 10/8 LAS and drop off 10/13 PHX with discount code AD2338FDF, ends up $113 tax and fee included. I'm surprised to see that there wasn't a one-way charge. From your experience, is this normal for Alamo, or they will surprise me at the counter?

Thanks,
Ray
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by pciexpressdog
Hi everyone,

I made an reservation from Alamo: pick up 10/8 LAS and drop off 10/13 PHX with discount code AD2338FDF, ends up $113 tax and fee included. I'm surprised to see that there wasn't a one-way charge. From your experience, is this normal for Alamo, or they will surprise me at the counter?

Thanks,
Ray
Normal for those city pairs that time of year. Don't go anywhere near the counter at LAS. Use kiosks, or better yet, online check in.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yellowjj

I have the same type of credit card, but one thing to be aware of is that in order for most insurers to cover loss of use they require the car rental company to produce records (a fleet use log or some such) to provide evidence that a loss of use situation actually existed. Without this evidence, the insurer may not pay for loss of use -- and the car rental company may persist in coming after you for that additional money even though the loss of use claim is completely invalid and unjustified.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by xiaojunjun
Don’t Do This Sneaky Move to Save Money on Using contract ID. You should only use the codes if you’re qualified!
Here's a true story for using a “fraudulent” discount code on car rental.

http://elliott.org/should-i-take-the...e-avis-rental/

If they found out you used a fraudulent code you will no longer be able to rent vehicles from any Holdings Company (Enterprise, Alamo, National).
All other accounts related to your account will also be closed. If you were to open a new account, it would also be closed.
If there's any kind of accident, particularly if someone is injured, there's going to be follow-up, the company assigned the ID will be asked to doument the user's employment. And, that's when this moves from a small paymnt issue to fraud. At a minimum, in an out-of-court settlement, you will wind up paying full damages out of pocket.
Uhh, in your link the guy ended up getting the discounted price. Your own source disproves your point but the guy did have to fight a bit. Also the code in question had a very specific restriction listed in the agents system. The Lufthansa code does not. The banning stuff just sounds absurd.

Years back I worked for Enterprise. Nobody ever got banned for using a code they shouldn't. Policing that was pretty half assed at best. Most staff just did not care but it was a pretty messed up location.

Edit: I'm guessing you might be joking as just 4 hours earlier you posted suggesting the code was great and thanking the OP. That is actually kind of funny.

Last edited by trajanc; Aug 24, 2015 at 11:35 pm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by tomvw
Agreed. I usually limit myself to reading the forums without posting, but wanted to share my personal experience here.

A word of warning with respect to the LHF codes.

I was stopped at Miami airport last week and was asked to produce Lufthansa id. I was not aware about restrictions regarding this code because of confusing messages on different forums.
Employee showed me clearly on screen that Lufthansa pays about 2000 usd insurance excess in case of accident, so it's pretty clear to me that in case of accident, you're in serious .... if you're not an employee.
I'm sure that if you use "skip counter" you can get away with your car. Alamo desk will basically not know beforehand what restrictions are unless they are awake (what happened to me), the only one who can do that is the company supplying you the contract id. Don't just use contract id's from forums that you are not sure about or use at your own risk as @pkerr posted
Otherwise, save money by renting without any insurance-you're in the same situation as when using such contract id codes=uninsured.
I ended up negotiating a reasonable price at the desk, over all was happy to leave there with a car.
Ty for sharing! Ouch but weird since you can still phone Alamo anytime and they will tell you this code shows no restrictions or requirements. If this story is true imho the agent was screwing with you. 'Your code is no good, let's negotiate a price' is a pretty old scam. The agent looked at the code, guessed where you got it and went to work.

I still have used the code repeatedly with no problem. I have asked more times than I can remember, 'Any restrictions? Any qualifier?' Answer is always the same, 'No.' Whether it's on the phone or at the counter.

Most recent use was at PBI where the Alamo counter agents have tried some ridiculous bs on me in the past. Like 'Your coverage is no good, you have to buy insurance.' Used the code 2 weeks ago. No problem.

But hey, I believe traveling should be as relaxing and fun as possible. Speaking to folks in general if the thought of using this code stresses you out or upsets you in some way then don't use it. Definitely not worth it then.

Last edited by trajanc; Aug 24, 2015 at 11:36 pm
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by trajanc
I still have used the code repeatedly with no problem.
Same here. I used it a couple weeks ago in a major city - had to go to the counter because the kiosks were broken and no online checkin was offered. The contract printed "STAR ALLIANCE" in the corner, it didn't have the name of the airline printed there. The agent didn't give me any trouble.

Different city, had to check in at counter, and agent said "Wow, that's a great rate on a SUV" He continued on and I had no trouble there either.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:46 pm

For all the buzz about LUF code, im getting way better rates using costo codes,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.