Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Airbus A350: seating Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
I usually enjoy sitting at the back of cabins or in mini cabins so my usual tactics would have me selecting 9K.

I sleep with ear plugs so noise from behind isn't an issue. I enjoy the openness when looking forward from the back and people watching. However, I am used to the 787 J cabin which I love due to how small it is and the service is always excellent.

Have people found with the mini cabin on the A350 that they get ignored compared to the forward cabin as it's quite far from the galley and would be last for food orders and drinks and top ups?

Does one crew member work each aisle or is there extra crew working by rows?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Based on youtube videos and Googlemaps, I see Row 7 have extra cabinet space if you need them.

Last edited by lcpteck; Feb 4, 2017 at 11:04 am
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Not my usual forum, and I've tried a search, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I've just booked a QR flight in Economy (that's that bunch of rows behind Business Class, never seems to be discussed much on FT ) and I'm a bit confused about seat selection.

I'm OW Emerald (BA Gold) and my FF number is on the booking, but I can't select any seats in rows 16, 17, 30, or 31 on any of the four legs. It would seem odd to me that exactly these seats would be taken (EF only shows them as blocked, but that's not always accurate in my experience).

I was under the impression that QR's seating policy was similar to BA's, i.e. top level FF members get free pick of exit rows. Am I wrong? Or is my FF number not being picked up properly and I should call up?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by csutter
Not my usual forum, and I've tried a search, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I've just booked a QR flight in Economy (that's that bunch of rows behind Business Class, never seems to be discussed much on FT ) and I'm a bit confused about seat selection.

I'm OW Emerald (BA Gold) and my FF number is on the booking, but I can't select any seats in rows 16, 17, 30, or 31 on any of the four legs. It would seem odd to me that exactly these seats would be taken (EF only shows them as blocked, but that's not always accurate in my experience).

I was under the impression that QR's seating policy was similar to BA's, i.e. top level FF members get free pick of exit rows. Am I wrong? Or is my FF number not being picked up properly and I should call up?
My experience calling as a Sapphire/Ruby has been that only the airport can unblock and assign exit row and bulkhead seats. As an Emerald you may have better luck with the call center or your local ticket office.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:23 pm

csutter welcome to the QR forum.

The front row of every cabin is blocked because this is where the bassinets are located. They are usually released for passengers by the start of airport check-in. The next row(s) are preferred seating for PC and OW status members. Due to the layout of the QR cabin I would think that rows 17 and 31 are also blocked. That is not available for selection by any passengers.

QR is not BA and it does things differently as can be seen above.

When seats are blocked what we mean by blocked is that they are actually in the control of the airline. EF reports this accurately but It does not know what the airlines do with the seats just that they control them.

If you have access to row 18, and possibly 32, then your FFP number is correctly registered.

Most unoccupied blocked seats are available at Airport check-in so you need to be at the front of the queue to get one.

Another quirk is that OWE and OWS status passengers will, space permitting, have the seat next to them blocked to give them better room.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by dkc192
My experience calling as a Sapphire/Ruby has been that only the airport can unblock and assign exit row and bulkhead seats. As an Emerald you may have better luck with the call center or your local ticket office.
Originally Posted by remdk
csutter welcome to the QR forum.

The front row of every cabin is blocked because this is where the bassinets are located. They are usually released for passengers by the start of airport check-in. The next row(s) are preferred seating for PC and OW status members. Due to the layout of the QR cabin I would think that rows 17 and 31 are also blocked. That is not available for selection by any passengers.

If you have access to row 18, and possibly 32, then your FFP number is correctly registered.
Lovely - thanks for the welcome and the explanation! I can indeed choose a seat in row 18, so I will try my luck at the airport then. ^
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Thank you to those who responded in the other thread. I went to it straight from search so didn't see that this thread had been bumped.

I am erring more towards 7EF than 2EF due to easier access to adjoining seat and also the fact I regularly need to stretch my legs, so loitering at the 'bar' will keep me in visual range. My only slight worry is being closer to the toilets. Foot traffic doesn't really bother me, but has anyone experienced any olfactory issues in row 7?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
Thank you to those who responded in the other thread. I went to it straight from search so didn't see that this thread had been bumped.

I am erring more towards 7EF than 2EF due to easier access to adjoining seat and also the fact I regularly need to stretch my legs, so loitering at the 'bar' will keep me in visual range. My only slight worry is being closer to the toilets. Foot traffic doesn't really bother me, but has anyone experienced any olfactory issues in row 7?
According to the googlemaps view in the wiki, Row 7 seems to have more storage space than the rest, although it's right at the bar area. The Toilet is actually right behind row 6 so shouldn't be an issue.

Anybody have any Row 7 experiences before?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Anyone know what QR economy is like on the A350 compared to say the BA787 which no one likes because of the width?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:16 am

jday welcome to the QR forum.

The B787 was designed for 2-4-2 seating not the 3-3-3 that greedy airlines have imposed on it. Thus it is cramped, and to almost all, very unpleasant and noisy. The A350XWB on the other hand was designed for 3-3-3 seating and has the extra width to make it a very comfortable journey. Indeed XWB means eXtra Wide Body! There is no comparison! You are changing from the worst to the best Y cabin in the skies. And do not forget QRs famous in-flight service.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:40 am

jday welcome to the QR forum.

The B787 was designed for 2-4-2 seating not the 3-3-3 that greedy airlines have imposed on it. Thus it is cramped, and to almost all, very unpleasant and noisy. The A350XWB on the other hand was designed for 3-3-3 seating and has the extra width to make it a very comfortable journey. Indeed XWB means eXtra Wide Body! There is no comparison! You are changing from the worst to the best Y cabin in the skies. And do not forget QRs famous in-flight service.
thanks remdk. Well I was thinking of giving QR a first try and also wanted to try the A350 LHR DOH. But reading around it seems you shouldn't book QR if you want a certain aircraft as they change a lot. Might be a birthday treat in August if I can cope with the heat in DOH
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:27 am

Thank you jday, you are correct. The moderators, other forum members and I have way to many posts warning against booking flights based upon the aircraft type. Last year this was due to very severe delays in new deliveries. That situation is easing almost weekly but it is still valid. New deliveries are starting to come through and the short term lease of four Latam A350s has led to a considerable lessening of the problem. BUT it is still a problem!!

If you look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...es-2017-a.html you can see planned equipment changes as well.
This all help but only help.

When thinking about your birthday trip please consider other destinations as well. DOH as a destination is much more expensive than DOH as a transit point, up to 30% more expensive. Flights to most Middle East destinations via DOH appear to be cheaper than DOH as a destination.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:30 pm

Thank you jday, you are correct. The moderators, other forum members and I have way to many posts warning against booking flights based upon the aircraft type. Last year this was due to very severe delays in new deliveries. That situation is easing almost weekly but it is still valid. New deliveries are starting to come through and the short term lease of four Latam A350s has led to a considerable lessening of the problem. BUT it is still a problem!!

If you look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...es-2017-a.html you can see planned equipment changes as well.
This all help but only help.

When thinking about your birthday trip please consider other destinations as well. DOH as a destination is much more expensive than DOH as a transit point, up to 30% more expensive. Flights to most Middle East destinations via DOH appear to be cheaper than DOH as a destination.
ah okay. Very helpful. Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/7.0MM
Question No OHB space for 2 center seats

Wife and I did our First QR flights mid Feb LAX-DOH-JNB all on 777 (200 and W) all in row 3 in the center section. Only major let-down was lounge and chaos theory based boarding in LAX.
We had the normal expected OHBs to hold our carry-ons and misc items like blankets.
We have a LAX-DOH-SIN flight in early May with DOH-SIN on the 350. I note from pictures and the Google view that there is no OHB space at all for the 2 center seats. We normally travel with standard size rollaboards but it looks like we will need to check our bags due to no available space.

I don't want to poach space from the A/K pax as those bins are tagged for their use.
Any suggestions?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by skydiver
Wife and I did our First QR flights mid Feb LAX-DOH-JNB all on 777 (200 and W) all in row 3 in the center section. Only major let-down was lounge and chaos theory based boarding in LAX.
We had the normal expected OHBs to hold our carry-ons and misc items like blankets.
We have a LAX-DOH-SIN flight in early May with DOH-SIN on the 350. I note from pictures and the Google view that there is no OHB space at all for the 2 center seats. We normally travel with standard size rollaboards but it looks like we will need to check our bags due to no available space.

I don't want to poach space from the A/K pax as those bins are tagged for their use.
Any suggestions?

The overhead bins are not dedicated for A/K passengers, you will find plenty of space for your bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.